Vanishing troops

Users who are viewing this thread

raik3n87

Recruit
On a new game, I noticed twice that some of my soldiers had disappeared from my party

the 1st time I had 39 troops, and suddenly I had just 18
the 2nd time from 40 to 28

WTF is going on? Is it a bug a glitch or another dumb feature of VC? I have a excellent morale party, lots of type of foods, no deserting message popped up, so any ideas?

Playing on VC rebalance

Some googling turns up a few old bug reports involving missing troops in VC, like this one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/48700/discussions/0/142261352654211033/ . That is a few versions ago, but see this second report and the VC devs response here for recommendations regarding reinstall and clearing cache when another player reported missing troops: https://steamcommunity.com/app/48700/discussions/6/1483232961039537328/

Though if that glitch is still present, it must be very rare--I've never had any disappearing troops myself, nor have I seen any reports of others experiencing it except for when I googled the above old threads.

If the linked recommendation doesn't fix it, the one other thing to check is any text tweaks you have done. Text tweaks are an inherently risky process, especially if you use the old posted ones, since most of them are from many versions ago, and small changes to some files can scramble some numbers elsewhere. Moreover, since you are playing Balance Mod, and those text tweaks that are posted were made from vanilla VC, there is a chance some mod changes have changes what some numbers should be, which can also cause unexpected behavior. You could revert text tweaks and see if the issue reoccurs in a new game, if not, then you could try to identify the problem tweak or simply switch away from text tweaks altogether and use Kalarhan's great Tweaks Tool instead (which is completely safe to use and can recreate most of the effects that people posted tweaks for).

I have the GOG version of viking conquest, so any steam fixes aren't actually gonna help.

Thanks anyway

Brytenwalda at the linked report is just describing the steam procedure to delete all files and do a clean reinstall. You should be able to do the same with the GOG version manually.

raik3n87 said:
I have the GOG version of viking conquest, so any steam fixes aren't actually gonna help.

Steam, GOG, website download are all the same copy of VC. The only difference is on the warband.exe way to verify the game (so nothing to do with VC).

anyway cleaning cache and all that are a recomendation like: "oh is your phone doing weird stuff? Did you try to turn it off and on again?" or in other words, not really something that would help in this case  :razz: as long you have the latest warband installed (1.174)

as there are no reported bugs with the game and you are playing a recent-ish version of it (by using a submod that is up-to-date): you either created a new bug with some tweaks, there is a gameplay mechanic you are not paying attention to, there is a bug with the submod, or (less likely) a bug with the base game (VC).

you should talk with the modder (which so happens to be posting in this thread as well) and share savegames or anything he asks for, otherwise there is not really much to be done here. And if you are playing a custom version (tweaked) then even your savegame is of little help, as the dev/modder cant reproduce something that they dont have access to.

I think Brytenwalda recommended procedures for a clean reinstall because he suspected the person reporting disappearing troops in that steam bug report thread might have messed up his files with manual tweaks or otherwise.

That's what I suspect here as well--the likely cause is the user's personal text tweaks gone bad, and a clean reinstall without making any personal text tweaks is very likely to fix the problem.

That recomendation is also the only support I can offer at this stage, as the problem is unlikely to be with either Balance Mod or Vanilla VC. Making extensive personal text tweaks, especially on a modded version of the game where the files have already been heavily changed by the mod, is very likely to cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom