UK Election 2015 Poll, Vote Here!

Who do you support for the upcoming 2015 UK Elections?

• Conservatives [UK Option]

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Labour [UK Option]

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Lib Dems [UK Option]

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • UKIP [UK Option]

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Greens [UK Option]

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • SNP [UK Option]

• Other [UK Option]

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Conservatives [Non-UK Resident Option]

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Labour [Non-UK Resident Option]

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Lib Dems [Non-UK Resident Option]

• UKIP [Non-UK Resident Option]

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Greens [Non-UK Resident Option]

• SNP [Non-UK Resident Option]

• Other [Non-UK Resident Option]

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Pharaoh Llandy said:
/vote FRANCE

I totally want to be more separate from France. This bit of water that divides us just isn't enough. I mean, people can swim across it. TV show presenters can drive across it in their aqua-boats ffs! What happens the next time the French invade? They could just take the train.

To close, I move that we move France 1000 miles to the west, and let it become America's problem.

You would need to move it far to the east for it to get American care. Save the chunnel though, you might be able to use it for something.

Hey Llandy, your plan got messed up.
Instead of hitting move, superman clicked copy, and he pasted it to the wrong place! Now we have a bunch of Frenchmen in Canada!

It's really bad. Like, we have to speak French half of the time in our parliament and then bad translators start talking over the french on the English channel, while the French channel has a bad French translator always has to talk over the English and sometimes terrible french!

Welp, the English tyranny tree must now be felled for forcing this upon us! HEAR MY REBEL YELL!
#screwthegovernorgeneral2014

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
Ew. Nationalism. How about no.
Thank you. I find few things more absurd than dedicating so much meaning to a piece of cloth, an imagined community and a constructed identity of a select few superficial identities. Bloody nationalists.

Orchid said:
Pimple_of_Pixels said:
Ew. Nationalism. How about no.
Thank you. I find few things more absurd than dedicating so much meaning to a piece of cloth, an imagined community and a constructed identity of a select few superficial identities. Bloody nationalists.
Try to not cut yourself on those edges.  :roll:

By that logic, civilizations and cultures themselves are absurd.
Its normal to be proud of your identity.

RabbleKnight said:

Only a lot of people take this to far and identify themselves of a certain heritage without actually being from the area. The thing I really don't get is why people seem to be proud of their lineage when most likely wherever they immigrated from was bad enough that they decided to move from that country to somewhere else.

It just irks me when someone tells me they are 1/10 Dutch or something yet have never been to the Netherlands in their life and don't speak Dutch. By this logic we are all in some shape or form part of the same lineage and therefore part of the same heritage as most people
(except Ancalimon who is an alien species from that is trying to erase evidence of the glorious Rut people).

RabbleKnight said:
Try to not cut yourself on those edges.  :roll:

Uhm, no? Cultures and civilisations (though more controversial) are definable concepts which can be used to denote certain peoples inhabiting a particular area, often during a certain period in time, marked by the sharing of a language, belief system, institutions or other cultural affinities. Surprising conclusions you're drawing, but, no, I don't think civilisations or cultures are absurd. There is quite a sizeable difference between acknowledging these and priding yourself on them. And I don't mind a touch of particularism or regional/national sentiment at all, but only to a certain extent. Staunch nationalists, they kind of irritate me. When you devote your primary sense of identity to the region or country you inhabit, you largely accept a fixed set of ascribed characteristics that were more often than not made up somewhere in the nineteenth century, with the sole purpose of differentiating us from the other living at other side of the fence.

You pride yourself on your French descent and, if I recall correctly, even your Norman descent. Tremblay right? Unless you have been the subject of centuries worth of inbreeding - plausible - the only Norman or even French thing about you is your deep-seated, yet all the same equally deluded chauvinism. You most probably have more in common with the chair you're sitting on than any present-day run-of-the-mill Norman. If you had mostly German stock, you would be singing the virtues of Bismarck or emperor Frederick II. The only reason you're so ridiculously proud of your heritage is that you were taught to do so (or as a psychologist might possibly suggest: the need to identify with an entity greater than the self).

Orchid said:
You pride yourself on your French descent and, if I recall correctly, even your Norman descent. Tremblay right? Unless you have been the subject of centuries worth of inbreeding - plausible - the only Norman or even French thing about you is your deep-seated, yet all the same equally deluded chauvinism. You most probably have more in common with the chair you're sitting on than any present-day run-of-the-mill Norman. If you had mostly German stock, you would be singing the virtues of Bismarck or emperor Frederick II. The only reason you're so ridiculously proud of your heritage is that you were taught to do so (or as a psychologist might possibly suggest: the need to identify with an entity greater than the self).
Chauvinist? me? ****, when did i claim superiority of my culture?
**** I'm criticizing it every chance i get, don't you read my rants?
Dude I'm not a ****ing nationalist.
I'm also not a separatist.

But i have a strong respect for my ancestors.
I do practice a little bit of ancestors worship.

RabbleKnight said:
Chauvinist? me? ****, when did i claim superiority of my culture?
**** I'm criticizing it every chance i get, don't you read my rants?
Dude I'm not a ****ing nationalist.
I'm also not a separatist.

But i have a strong respect for my ancestors.
I do practice a little bit of ancestors worship.
I try to keep up with your rants, but it's rather difficult as there are so many of them. As of late I have to admit I tend to forgo them. Too often have I tried to offer another - possibly worthless - point of view, writing out a long-ass post in response, but you don't read any of it and ramble on about another subject. Patience only lasts so long.

I know you're not a ****ing nationalist and I know you're also not a separatist, but you are, as you have proven once again, ridiculously proud about your ancestors. The devotion to your French and Norman lineage takes the proportions of some kind of a substitute-nationalism, even though it's, just the same, nurture instead of nature. You take pride in and shape your identity over something that is so incredibly distant from you, both in time and space, that it no longer bears any relevance to present-day you in contemporary Quebexico.

It's rather interesting that anyone outside Germany would even bother to acknowledge the possibility of Bavarian indepedence when even in Bavaria, there are only a fraction of people who are any degree of serious about it.

I'd really worry more about Bavarians wanting the Sudetenland back.

Gestricius said:
I wonder why people don't want Belgium to split?  :???:
But wouldn't that just be a partition with one piece going to France ond the other to the Netherlands?
Or maybe France annexing a part and the other changing names.
SMST said:
It's rather interesting that anyone outside Germany would even bother to acknowledge the possibility of Bavarian indepedence when even in Bavaria, there are only a fraction of people who are any degree of serious about it.

I'd really worry more about Bavarians wanting the Sudetenland back.
Why not? there were Germans there for a lot if time IIRC, and they were deportated :sad: just like eastern Prussia. I would like to see Russian Eastern Prussia go back to Germany.
eh, I'm talking out of my ass so if i said something stupid just point it out.

Gestricius said:
I wonder why people don't want Belgium to split?  :???:
Why would they want Belgium to split? I have an inkling you are somewhat ill-informed of the matter at hand.

crodio said:
But wouldn't that just be a partition with one piece going to France ond the other to the Netherlands?
Or maybe France annexing a part and the other changing names.
Walloons aren't quite looking forward to joining France and the Flemish are even less particular to the idea of joining forces with the Dutch. There are some, of course, who dream of the Greater Netherlands, but they're mostly a radical fringe of the Flemish separatist movement that got irreparably tainted when they decided to court the Nazis during WWII. And we all know didn't turn out so well.

Yeah, I'm actually wondering why Belgium doesn't split. There's two distinct identities, far more distinct than most cultural splits mostly because of the difference in language. The problems the country has are rather severe (didn't it have an extremely prolonged government shutdown not too far back?) and both regions have decently-sized populations with some measure of self-government, with the national government being extremely partisan along sectional lines and rather fundamentally weakened as a result. It's the only separatist movement I could imagine myself supporting if I were in that particular country.

Compared to Scotland's claim resting on a marginally different culture and independence 300 years ago, I've got to say the Flemish/Walloons have a better argument. Why doesn't it happen? Is there just a cool thing about breaking off from the UK? Do they have some big interest in staying together?

Enlighten me.

Wallonia is about 33% of Belgium's population and 55% of its area.

Maybe the Flemish is just afraid of losing land?

Back
Top Bottom