Turning most one-handed swords into bastard type weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkQuinn

Sergeant at Arms
I've changed my one-handed (non short) swords to act like bastard swords so that when not using a shield I can use two hands.  I do realize that the second hand doesn't fit, but I don't pay attention to that as I play in first person and just pretend he's cupping his hand over the pommel.

For the medieval and viking lines of swords I've simply used itc_bastardsword to get the despired effect.  But I also want to change the two one-handed scimitars and the soldier's cleaver to do the same thing, minus the thrust.  The problem is I can't find an applicable itc code for the following parameters: does one-handed swing and overhead with shield, does two-handed swing and overhead without shield and no thrust.  As it stands now, every time I make a change and recompile the mod I'm forced to go into Morgh's (f'en awesome) editor to manually change the above mentioned weapons.  Kind of a pain to have to do every time I make a tiny tweak in the module system.

Is this what I'm going to have to continue doing, or does anyone know of the proper itc to achieve my desired effect?

Thanks.

Oh, that's simple. :smile:
You can look up all the itc's and itcf's in header_items. Or let me do it for you :razz:

Here's how it works, itcf's are item capabilities (basically what moves you can make with the item) an itc's are combined capabilities. So basically all the itc_bastardsword is actually doing is combining two-handed and one-handed capabilities.
Taken from header_items:
Code:
itc_bastardsword = itc_cut_two_handed |  itcf_thrust_twohanded | itc_parry_two_handed |itc_dagger
So itc_bastardsword is a combination of a few other combined capabilities and a non-combined capability (the itcf_thrust_twohanded).

Well, itc_bastardsword is obviously no good. Instead you want one without the itcf_trust_twohanded. Oh, itc_nodachi has that. Good. But what about the itc_dagger thing then?
Code:
itc_dagger  = itc_cleaver | itcf_thrust_onehanded

Ah, so all you actually need is itc_nodachi and itc_cleaver. Hmm...
Code:
itc_morningstar = itc_cut_two_handed |  itc_parry_two_handed |itc_cleaver

There's your itc :grin:

Of course, I could just have said "it's itc_morningstar", but then you wouldn't have learned anything from it :razz: Basic rule, always check the appropriate header files for the details when dealing with stuff like that. Or read the red explanation at the beginning of the file, it's right there:
5) Item capabilities. Used for which animations this item is used with. See header_items.py for a list of available flags.

Everything's much easier when you know what you're actually doing and why :wink:

Hope it helped, and that I didn't bore you too much with my little lesson :smile:

Beaver no you didn't bore me at all and it was fascinating seeing how you deciphered this.  All I've ever done is go into the files that I know I want to change and figure it out for myself, but afraid of the complexity of the module system the way a decrepid old woman might be afraid of the complexity of a TV remote, I've always steered clear of any file whose function wasn't obvious to me. :smile:

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom