Trying to edit troop trees, can't edit module_troops.py

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm trying to accomplish the suggestion made here (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,339949.msg8210909.html#msg8210909), but I'm running into the issue made over here (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,352976.msg8480257.html). since that post never went anywhere and it's over a year old, I'm making a new post instead. I'm trying to edit the source code for silverstag 26 (the latest official version on nexus) using morgh's editor ver. 1.5 (originally 1.4) on the module system. I've also attempted using the source located on github with equivalent results. However, the only thing I can edit is the module_items.py. attempting to open up either module_troops.py or module_party_templates.py causes morgh's to stall and stop responding. waiting doesn't do anything. there aren't any messages, and it doesn't display anything (looks like this https://puu.sh/ubyUn/dccdbca28c.png. as far as I can see, there are no crash logs, either. I should also note that it works perfect fine with the default source code (the module system you can download from the game's website), so I can see native troops just fine, I just can't edit silverstag's. while I can edit the troops.txt, this doesn't really help, as I can't use the features located on the module system editor, or add perks to the troops.

I should also note that attempting to compile source code also doesn't work properly, as I get many errors, namely errors revolving around things not being defined. strangely enough, last night I didn't get such errors aside from the last bit, where it stated a few undefined variables, but now I get everything being undefined, such as arming swords, peasant spears, and, the last one I'm willing to attempt to fix, the flat top pepperpot helm. I'm not sure why this is the case, considering it's using the same source files as last night, with no changes. found the issue here, I forgot to copy native over to my test folder. copying it over stopped the spam of non-defined weapons and armours. however, it's still not 100% correct: https://puu.sh/ubywZ/314908a6a7.png.

0.26 silverstag source file is not working in Morgh's for me either,
if I try to access the module_troops.py file. I went into notepad++
and edited the file. Ofc, even the edited file does not work in
Morgh's editor. Unless I introduced some errors into the file, it
appears there are errors in the file from the Nexus download itself.

oh finally, a reply, and by the one who made the alternative version! (thanks for that btw)

still, that explains it I suppose. also, that had to suck editing with just notepad. were you still able to include perks and the like?

also, can you either make a version that has floris expanded troop tree version, or tell me how to put it in myself? I'm assuming the native troop tree version you wrote was literally the native troop tree and only has a few troops per faction.

I haven't touched the vanilla Silverstag 0.26 troops. I've just changed the upgrade
links to make a branching tree. As I understand it, the code is quite inter-linked and it
would be difficult to separate the troop structure completely.

Adding of Floris EXpanded troops is possible, just a cut-and-paste job. But, making
them work in the game seems difficult because of the way the troop system is designed
in Silverstag. If Windyplains or Leifdin could share whether it is possible to add an
independent troop tree system, I could take a crack at it. Otherwise, I'm not sure it
would work correctly.

Also, I don't know if Lord parties would use the new troops. I think that would require
a complete overhaul of the troop system, which is probably beyond my basic skills. Even
with what I have done in my personal modification, the Lords use the same troops
as set by Windyplains and his team in the parties setup. I don't know if they upgrade,
and I wouldn't be able to commit on the game balance of it all. Because of the design
of Silverstag's troop system, I think it would be coded to take advantage of the original
design, and so the changes I have made would work mostly for myself.

I've retained the original troop system except to give upgrade paths. So it just offers me
a more familiar way to upgrade my troops and allows me access to all the high-level troops
without having to go through the full grind of relationships, standings, allegiances, etc. I
guess, it's a bit of cheating, giving me a different playing field, now that I think about it.

Fwiw, I'm playing through the game with my changes right now, and it doesn't feel too
much different from the vanilla Silverstag 0.26 as of right now except for the convenience
of upgraded troops. I guess I'll be able to be more specific about the differences when
I've had time to play more than 3-4 months of in-game time. I'm importing from previous
saves of high-level characters to start the game, so I start with more money and better
stats, and I'm able to get into the mid-game immediately.

Sorry for the long reply. Just wanted to explain what I've tried to do.

Back
Top Bottom