Troop Enrichment: More Soldiers for Nova Aetas!

Users who are viewing this thread

So, right now, Nova is feature-rich, but Troop-Dry! Each faction has hardly 8 unique troops, and only 2-3 max final "treetips". So I am making this thread so we can work on troops, perhaps get QUin to add them to the game. Quin has a lot of work to do, so if we can manage to help him out by not only coming up with the ideas, but also creating the troops and adding them via Morgh's, then I think we could really help out with the mod.

The first thing I want to go over is, again, the suggestion we have noble troops that are available only by recruiting in major towns, and only available if you are a part of that faction or own the town. It'd give a whole other tier of troops, as well as giving level 30+ troops. In fact, some of the more advanced factions could even have Noble Musketeers later on. Nobles also would have better Proficiencies and stats, as well.

This suggestion guide will mostly be structured to describe the current feel of the troops, the Native feel, then it'll go into my suggestions, as well as suggestions on what to add if Nobles are implemented.

NOTE: I have only played 20 hours, and I have not gotten too far through the tech trees due to speed. As such, I do not know or have access to the Tech 3 and Tech 8 troops. So... this suggestion list is probably stupid, but hopefully it'll help even the tiniest amount.

~~~Swadia~~~
Currently the mods balanced faction, Swadia has 3 "Top Tier" troops. Heavy Infantry, Crossbowmen, and Cavalry. However the problem here is that Swadia has now spearmen, and they also have migrated away from their "Cavalry Focused" troop style. Remember, Swadia in Native had the best Cavalry.

Feel: Balanced Troops
Native Feel: Heavy Calvary Focus, Best Knights in the game.

Troop Suggestions: Right now, Swadia is very balanced. But they could have more troops, if things are done well! The Light Infantry line could become their whole line, to serve as meat shields and even shield troops. Heavy Infantry could be given 2h swords and serve as Shock Infantry, and be their own line as well. Finally, Their Cavalry could have Knights, and Squires. With Knights being heavily armored and using swords, and Squires meant more for flanking attacks.
Noble Troops: If Noble Troops are implemented, Knights can be completely removed from the peasant tier. Instead, the Noble Troops could be Swadian Noble (Infantry Heavy Armored), Swadian Noble Knight (Base Knight), Swadian Chivalric Knight, and finally Swadian Gothic Knight (When technology is high). Each troop would have more proficiencies, and better armor, with Gothic Knights having the best plate armor in the game.

~~~Papal State~~~
This faction just confuses me. Cavalry that become infantry? What? Only 6 troop types, and 2 lines of troops? This could use a lot of love, and I'm hoping to improve it.

Feel: I have no idea. The Papal State seems to be a confused mess. I believe, though, that Quin is trying for the Swiss Guard, the guard of the Pope feel.
Native Feel: - -

Troop Suggestions: Okay, where to we begin? First off, let's begin with the base tree. A recruit immediately becoming a swordsman is a bit difficult. Instead, I propose a Papal Guard. Papal Guards will be simple town guards serving the Papalcy. Papal Guards should become either Papal Swordsmen, or Papal Crossbowmen Recruits. Next up, we'll focus on the melee line. Papal Swordsmen should become either Papal Knights, or Papal Wardens. Papal Wardens become Greoian Guards, and Papal Knights become Crusaders.

Now for Missile troops. Papal Crossbowmen Recruits should become simple Crossbowmen, and then Crossbowmen into Musketeers when the age advances.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles for the Papal States would be really fun. They could be Bishops, who are excellent Light Cavalry and use the Bishop hats, or full fledged Crusaders. You could even make Papal Nobles be the Swiss Guard, too. Perhaps renamed to Greoian Wardens or something.

~~~Rhodoks~~~
Rhodoks. Super Fun to play with because of their focus on Infantry. Or... it used to be. In real life, Cavalry became the mainstay of all armies. But in Native plotline, the Rhodoks aren't cavalry equipped. Their lands have few horsemen, and they broke away from Swadia too. So imagine my surprise when their top tier melee troop is a CAVALRY UNIT!

Feel: Cavalry and Archers. That's it. Thier final tier of troop are Crossbowmen, and Cavalry. Whut.
Native Feel: Low Cavalry usage, relying on superior infantry tactics and incredibly powerful crossbowmen.

Troop Suggestions: First off, make the Rhodok knights a spinoff of the Rhodok Spearman. Make it so it becomes Rhodok Spearman > Rhodok Squire > Rhodok Knight. However the trick here to preserve lore is to keep the Rhodok cavalry a good 5 levels below Swadian Cavalry. Swadia was a cavalry-focused empire in Native, and thus the Rhodoks never could touch them.

Next, we need to bring back the Rhodok Infantry Superiority. Sergeants should be able to become either Rhodok Halberdiers, or Rhodok Heavy Sergeants. Halberdiers focus on their pike and shield, being a major counter force to cavalry, where the Heavy Sergeants are melee anvils, for "Hammer and Anvil" Strategies. Both troops wouldn't have extremely high proficiencies, instead, the Rhodoks would mostly rely on their shields in combat. Perhaps make Rhodok Shields and spears the best shields and spears in the world. Since I have never played through all of the technology phases, I can't say if Rhodoks get Pikemen or not, but if they do not, then they need it. Rhodoks should also be given decent power gun troops, as they would master gun use rather quickly. Crossbows were the precursor to guns, and they were designed to take out mounted infantry. The Rhodoks would warm to gun use quickly.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles would be simple. Make Nobles the only Rhodoks who get horses. Rhodok Knights could be the only troops that get Cavalry options, or they can become extremely powerful siege crossbowmen. Essentially, make the line of Rhodok Nobles be Crossbowmen or Infantry, and then make Infantry turn to Cavalry and the Crossbowman become a sniper, as the normal troop line is for them. Since the Rhodoks, as I mentioned above, would warm to gun use, they could be one of the factions with a Noble musketeer.

~~~Mithridias~~~
Like the Papal State, Mithridias is totally messed up. Halberdiers becoming Cavalry, and then Cavalry becoming Heavy Infantry? Just... what? It doesn't make sense at all. This is another faction we can overhaul.

Feel: Mithridias, I assume, is going for a Venice style. Living on islands, merchant fleets, all that good stuff. Since their final tier of soldiers are crossbow and infantry, I'll go off that.

Troop Suggestions: The option to become infantry or crossbowmen should be when they are recruits. Pikemen require training, I don't know why they are the base recruits at all. So, it should go from recruit, to infantry or crossbow, then crossbow moves on like the current crossbow line, and infantry can become cavalry or continue as infantry. Infantry eventually become Pikemen, and then Halberdiers, and Cavalry can be lighter than average knights, Cavaliers, for instance. Mithridias would have lighter cavalry than the mainland ones.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles could be advanced Pikemen, having incredible skill and the best armor. Nice and simple.

~~~Sarranids~~~
Sarranids have always been the contenders with Swadia for heavy Cavalry. it seems in this mod, they have become the ultimate cavalry force. So, I'll try to keep that focus.

Feel:Superior Cavalry, Cavalry Archers, and mediocre infantry.
Native Feel: Cavalry on par with Swadia, decent archers.

Troop Suggestions: Right now, the Sarranids look pretty good. I would keep them as-is.
Noble Suggestions: Sarranid nobles could be Jihadists or Heavy Camels. They would be much stronger than the base Mamluk, and more deadly as well.

~~~Agonic Order~~~
Quite simply this Order gives me a very Knights Templar feel. They seem to be a pretty fun faction. But there's a few problems. What exactly is a "Diendebruder"? And why is it so important that it needs its own line? Where are the Infantry? Knights Templar also didn't use Crossbowmen; they used normal bows.

Feel: Powerful christian cavalry, a Monastic Order.

Troop Suggestions: Right now, I think they need Infantry. Unseated knights would be a good option, replacing the Diendebruder with them, and allowing Halbrudders to become Heavy Shock Infantry. Full Plate mail and swords. The Pikemen should also become its own line, perhaps branching from a normal infantry troop that replaces its current position in the tech tree. Finally, the Order troops should focus on archery. They wouldn't be able to even touch the Vaegir, but their archers would be longer range and slower shooting. Longbowmen, essentially.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles could be advanced knights. Knights of Christ could be made noble only, and even given another rank, and made "Disciples of Christ". Has a good air to it.

~~~Vaegirs~~~
Vaegirs were my favorite troops in native. I adore heavy archers, and think that blotting out the sun with arrows is simply amazing. They have been given a real russian vibe, now, though. Right now, they seem more balanced than archer focused.

Feel: Well balanced, focuses on archers rather than crossbowmen
Native Feel: Decent cavalry, incredible archers.

Troop Suggestions: More archers! Make their archers better, and wielding better bows. Even when the technology is increased, their bows should remain, and in fact get better. Perhaps giving them composites and better accuracy, with another line of advanced bowmen. The Boyar are fine, as well as the Vegir Guard. Really the only issue here seems to be their archers, which are horribly nerfed since Native. What happened to their armor?!
Noble Suggestions: Vaegir Ivory archers, from Native Expansion, pretty much. Insanely fast firing and dangerous archers. Would love to see an equivalent in Nova.

~~~Nordic Union~~~
The Nordic Union and Noregr are functionally the same. Even their troop trees have the exact same steps on the tree, and the exact same troops. This is a mistake; if you're going to separate them, then make each one unique!

Feel: Heavy Infantry, poor archers, no cavalry.
Native Feel: Heavy Infantry, poor archers, no cavalry. Also has a dedicated throwing unit.

Troop Suggestions: Right now, I say their archers need to be replaced with throwing units. Turn the Nordic Union into a mostly infantry force, by removing their bows and replacing them with javelins and throwing axes. Other than that, the troops the Nordic Union have are copy pasted from Native, which is fitting.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles can be extremely heavy infantry. Terrors on the battlefield.

~~~Noregr~~~
Faction of the Nordic Union, I feel these guys should have a more unique troop tree. They split from the Union, obviously. But why exactly? Why not make them use more unconventional troop styles, combining the Nord infantry with crossbows, or cavalry?

Feel: Exactly the same as the Nordic Union.

Troop Suggestions: Get some variety in here! Swap the archers out for crossbows, perhaps add some cavalry. They should feel more unique than the Nordic Union!
Noble Suggestions: Nobles can be knights, or even heavy infantry like the Union. Old habits die hard.

~~~Khergit Khanate~~~
Superior horse archery is what the Khergits are famous for in Native, and they have been preserved here. They're like the Mongols, and focus entirely on cavalry. I don't have much issue with the current feel of this faction.

Feel: Cavalry-focused. No infantry or dedicated archers.
Native Feel: Same as above!

Troop Suggestions: I feel the Khergits are fine as they are. Their lancers and horse archers are pretty much perfect.
Noble Suggestions: Khergit Horse Archers, through and through. Better armor, higher proficiencies.

~~~Turghun Hordes~~~
Not much to say about this faction either. A few things can be improved, though.

Feel: Timurid Hordes. Meant to be cavalry-focused and dangerous.

Troop Suggestions: If I have anything to say about them, it'd be how the infantry turns into archers, which turn into cavalry. If you want to do that, make the infantry become melee cavalry, and have archers become archer cavalry. Split them up there, instead of when they become cavalry and force us to turn our infantry into archers, and then archers into cavalry.
Noble Suggestions: Nobles can stick with the general cavalry feel. Perhaps give them the options to be horse archers or Shock Cavalry.

~~~Merchants of Zandar~~~
Zandar is supposed to be a neutral party, again styled like Venice. their troop tree is quite simply pathetic, however. 5 troops. That's it. Come on, we can do better than that!

Feel: Lancers and crossbowmen. Perhaps going for a mercenary feel.

Troop Suggestions: Again, I suggest taking the cavalry and making them a line rather than the end result of infantry. Give the player the choice of making them cavalry or infantry. Other than that though, Zandar shouldn't be too good at anything. Their troops are militia, not actual fighting forces. They're meant to be a defensive force for a City-State.
Noble Suggestions: Zandar Nobles could be rather pompous. Heavy armor, good weapons, but horrible proficiencies. Imagine them as nobles who paid to get their gear, but have no ideas how to fight.

So that's all of the different factions and the current look and feel of their troop, plus for Native Factions I added their specialties. My tips, my ideas, and everything I have at this moment in time. Tell me your ideas too! Let's make this mod huge!

Oh, and the Aztecs? they're absolutely perfect the way they are. they wouldn't have any cavalry because, after all, the Aztecs in real life thought horses were some sort of monsters. They'd never seen them before the Spanish conquistadors. Their archers wouldn't be that good, instead their mainstay was their Jaguar warriors. Which is reflected perfectly here.

Firstly I want to thank you for writing so much feedback to help developing Nova Aetas further.  :smile: I like that spirit.

But I believe Nova Aetas has the most complex and omnifarious troop trees of all mods. But if you haven't seen any kingdom leveling up, you'll still be stuck with the standard (enhanced) Warband troops.

This is a list showing all advanced troops for each faction:

Swadia

Technology lvl III
Pikeman
Halberdier
Landsknecht

Longbowman
Arquebusier
Armoured Arquebusier

Lancer
Gendarme

Technology lvl VI
Light Pikeman
Sword and Buckler Man

Caliverman
Wheellock Arquebusier
Musketeer

Reiter

Vaegir

Technology lvl III
Pikeman
Bardiche Infantry
Boyar Son

Arquebusier
Armoured Arquebusier

Lancer
Cossack

Technology lvl VI
Armoured Pikeman
Dismounted Cossack

Caliverman
Wheellock Arquebusier

Cossack Gunner

Nordic Union

Technology lvl III
Pikeman
Billman
Varangian Guard

Arquebusier

Lancer
Nobleman

Technology lvl VI
Armoured Pikeman
Svenmer (greatsword users)

Caliverman
Wheellock Arquebusier
Musketeer

Mounted Arquebusier

Rhodoks

Technology lvl III
Pikeman
Halberdier
Pollaxe Guard

Arquebusier
Armoured Arquebusier

Lancer
Gendarme

Technology lvl VI
Armoured Pikeman
Rodelero
Caliverman
Wheellock Arquebusier
Musketeer

Mounted Arquebusier

Sarranids

Technology lvl III
Spearman
Axe Man
Qaraghulam Guard

Arquebusier
Armoured Arquebusier

Al-fin (lancers)
Javelineer Cavalry

Technology lvl VI
Armoured Spearman
Elite Infantry
Caliverman
Wheellock Arquebusier
Musketeer

Mounted Arquebusier

Other factions do not have technological troop improvements

And there are artillery units incoming!

Oh wow, I didn't know that I was missing out on that much. Yeah, those troops round out things, But I do believe there are some issues that should be addressed, like Archers becoming calavry, and infantry turning into cavalry too. It's a bit annoying when you specifically want something for your army, but they end up evolving into cavalry or something completely different than what you have in mind.

And what about the other minor factions? Swiss Guard for the Papalcy? Or Merchant Musketeers for Zandar?

Please be more specific. What troops turned out to become archers or cavalry?

The troop trees of the minor factions are doomed to be outdated. They fall behind in technological advancements and stick to the old traditions.

Alright, so the problems are:

Papal Lancers get de-horsed and made into Geroian Guards

Mithridian Lancers do the same; they LOSE their horse when they are promoted.

Turghun Militia become Infantry (Footmen), then Turghun Footmen become Sabadar ARCHERS, and then the archers, become Kwahadran HORSEMEN. Completely nonsensical.

Those are the major issues I've seen.

You confused me a bit. I thought that you're trying to say that cavalry is dismounting in battles, but you're mentioning the upgrade trees.

I'll make both the Mithridians lancers and guards top-tier troops, but the Papal Geroian Troops will stay. It's a honour to be of the Geroian Guard.

And I'll split the Turguhn troop tree into cavalry and archer branches.

Back
Top Bottom