Tournament

Users who are viewing this thread

oblivion seemed to do a good job of the arena, with cheering crowds / announcers ect. really all the arena needs at the moment is some more sounds. crowds cheering / booing ect.

Well, one could improve the M&B tournaments by including jousting as in putting it into native. Also another thing is you use the armor that you're wearing instead of being given armor by the tournament master. Also if you won a joust you could take possesion of the opponents armor, horse, or he can even be ransomed.

Firstly I think there should be different events, so when you go to a tournament you get to chose Mace, Axe, Sword, Sword & Sheild, Polearm, 2 Handed Sword or Jousting and have an achievement ladder for each event.

I think that this is far more realistic and if the AI is tweaked up properly could add alot more of a challenge, I know I cant be the only 2handed master stuck with a bow while 3 angry swordsman chase me in circles.

Secondly I would like to see a prestige system, keep the town tournmanets the way they are, just free for alls, but add in higher tournaments that you gain access to by touring the smaller towns and gaining a reputation, then on top of that add noble tournaments, only for named knights and thos who carry banners, finally have the annual tournaments that all the lords including the kings converge for, that you only get invited to if your faction ranking is high enough.

I also like the idea of having a huge prize for the annual tournament like a fief or a thoroughbred horse.

Thirdly I think that each combatant should fight with tournament supplied armour and weapon, but at least have a choice as to the basic category of the arm this of course puts more of an emphasis on skill than costly equipment, excepting the joust, I like the idea of the traditional method where if you manage to take a knight of his horse you win it from him,  I also think it would add alot of risk if you lost your own mount by being unhorsed

Fourth and finally I think everyone would enjoy a bit of window dressing, this includes Heralds in proper uniform announcing the combatants, a few sound effects for the cheering crowd, a tournament ground with a proper lists not just a small walled paddock, trophies , colourful heraldry for your enemies so you remember who youve beaten and whos beaten you and just little things like pennocells and painted sheilds for decoration.

I know it's easy for me to say; hard for people to code, but I just want to say it. We should make the tournament some major event. we should set up the matches  on different days and we can gather the information of enemy team units and landscape of where the match will be held. If we win, we should get some money, rare items, horses, ships, title, castle, princess...... well, that's little bit too far, but as what says in Warcraft :greed is good. :twisted: 

Folthrik said:
Well, one could improve the M&B tournaments by including jousting as in putting it into native.
Yes please! This is the reason why I still have .751 installed - to play the arena jousting in the arena mod! Its basic but I really miss jousting when having mounts and blades!  I wish Armagan would give us a few scripts so we can let the horses move along the fence to joust...!

I don't know if this was mentioned (I know choosing you weapon was)

But something which would be nice (especially in 1vs1) The people should be given the same weapons (in a team battle it does not matter as much)
I say this because just 5 minutes ago (literally, the 5 minutes were me fuming) I lost a tournament on the last round because I was on foot with a great sword, and my opponent was on horseback with a lance and shield (WTF!?) I got owned immediately.

So please fix

-Munchkin

Next time move faster to your left or right to evade the couched lance. I think its good if the last round is difficult, makes the player feel like he/she has earned the winnings. 

I don't think it's really hard to play with sword vs lance(who's on horceback). I mostly win those battles... Anyway it's quite annoying when you get a bow(and no horse) in the battle. I've lost tournament a lot of times due to this :sad: You can't do much when enemy attacks you with sword and your equipping only bow:S Perhaps archers in the tournaments should carry at least some little dagger..? Of course I sometimes manage to grab a sword/lance from the guy died against someone else or horse, but I don't have always time for it.

I was just thinking, choosing your weapon would be no fun at all: You would always choose something like lance, because (at least for me) it is impossible to lose.

Munchkin9 said:
I was just thinking, choosing your weapon would be no fun at all: You would always choose something like lance, because (at least for me) it is impossible to lose.

Agreed.
I'm in favor of the final battle being fought with both competitors using the same wep.

I know in medieval England there were two kinds of tournament, the organised jousting variety (later), and before, I think, was the free for all when great knights from all over the country would battle over several days and all over the countryside, so it would be correct atleast for there to be two distinct types, and yes they did take each others armour and such like.  As mentioned before the archery in this form would be shooting at targets, I think quite alot of people have a problem with the archery as it is, but instead of removing it I propose the Khergits have their own variety of tournament, it could also be mostly horseback.  This would give them more character, and players would have the choice of taking part knowing that the archery is involved in this form. It could involve a sort of crude horse back sport, I beleive there was such a thing?  Might have to look into that, it's a vague memory  :grin:
Someone mentioned there being a bit of a lull in the game once you have your feif but not enough forces to effectively wage war, could this be when the tournaments really come into their own? Say with your new found lordship you find yourself being undermined by one of the others and it is up to you to stay in favour with your king and win tournaments and favour, with the opportunity to undermine the snake yourself. Maybe its a love interest your squabbling over with the ability to win her hand and have heirs?  Just chucking stuff in the pot..

I like the idea of adding more options to the tournaments. I have 3 types in my mind.
(Please note that i will use the male form in the text. It will be up to the implementor - if it gets implemented - to adjust it - or not- for female characters)

- Jousting
This is only for Nobles. Rewards are Honor (Renown?), Gold, Land (and/or the Favour of a Lady).
Before every round the player chooses what he wants as a reward.
If he chooses gold then he can choose how many he wants to "bet". Of course its not possible to bet mor than the opponent has.
If he chooses land he can select one or more fiefs of the opponent.  The opponent then hcooses which fiefs of the player he wants based on the value of the fiefs. If the opponent thinks that the player has no fiefs of enough value he might add gold to balance the value. The player can then choose if he accepts or chooses different(lower value) fiefs. I am undecided if this option should be possible when the player only has one fief left.
Now for the honor reward. The player will win or lose a bit of renown wiatever reward he chooses, based on the difference between his and the enemies renown. If the player chooses honor as a reward this will ne significantly higher.
If it will be possible in the game to win the favour of a lady, for whatever reason, he can ask her if he can be her champion in the jousting tournament which he means he will be "wearing" her flag/colors. The relationship between the player and the lady will change based on how many rounds he won. If he gets kicked out of the tournament rather early it will even  decrease.

- Archery
I see 2 possibilities here. Either shooting at a single target and the one with the most points wins/advances to the next round or several targets - like in the training areas - and the one who hit the most targets wins/advanes to the next round.
If its to hard to make the AI shoot at one of those targets their shoot can be calculated based on their archery skill.
Reward for winning is of course Gold.

- The normal Free for all
Not much explanation needed. But i think that maybe bows should be removed as weapons there. It will be more realistic that way. I can see how it is possible to use the normal melee weapons to disarm the opponent - which means he is out - but i don't see how bows can be used for that.

I think tournaments need to be changed, most of the time they're much more frustating than cool.. balancing is a must, it seems as if enemies are chosen randomly and put in the arena, I'd like to pick my own team and weapons the AI would pick theirs according to our choices.
I don't wanna die in the last round because I'm put againt an archer without any shield to protect myself, that's suicidal and veeery frustating..

Back
Top Bottom