MP There should not be a report function-Chat

Users who are viewing this thread

again, you keep bringing up real life examples or exmaples that actually physically harm someones health. were talking about online gaming. something is wrong with you

You could argue that reading the crap online affects someone's health. "LOL SUCH A ***** IF THAT AFFECTS HIM" Well your a ****ing ***** if smoking affects your lungs? See how stupid your arguement is.

No one is asking for someone to be outright perma muted for letting slip something a bit unsavoury. Just for the edgy 12 year olds in chat who think it's funny to spam the n word or provoke a full blown political arguement in the chat. I want the chat to be for **** talking and communicating with your team only.

I don't think I would bother reporting people for language (would definitely report griefers, though).
I don't mind reading offensive content, no matter what kind the offense is.

However, it's absolutely baffling that some people join a game just to spout nonsense in the chat instead of playing. There's nothing brave, funny, or subversive about that. Just play the frigging game. If you like rousing people on the internet, do it on social medias, hell, people on Twitter spend their whole time complaining and getting angry.

again, you keep bringing up real life examples or exmaples that actually physically harm someones health. were talking about online gaming. something is wrong with you

Here's a practical example of how "harmless" online words can be:

And here's a practical example of what can happen in real life if you engage in toxic behavior when you really shouldn't:

If you want a third example, try flying into the US and when border control asks you if you are a terrorist say yes and then follow up with "ah ah! just kidding", see how that harmless conversation goes.

Of course reports need to be monitored to ensure that they are not abused. But hey, guess what, there is a report function right here in this forum, and as far as I can tell things are working just fine (heck you even get in trouble with the moderators if you abuse it, who would have thought that could be possible!).

Here's a practical example of how "harmless" online words can be:

And here's a practical example of what can happen in real life if you engage in toxic behavior when you really shouldn't:

If you want a third example, try flying into the US and when border control asks you if you are a terrorist say yes and then follow up with "ah ah! just kidding", see how that harmless conversation goes.

Of course reports need to be monitored to ensure that they are not abused. But hey, guess what, there is a report function right here in this forum, and as far as I can tell things are working just fine (heck you even get in trouble with the moderators if you abuse it, who would have thought that could be possible!).

Again those aren't really related to gaming and in the 2nd instance where the Chinese tourists are doing the Heil Hitler salute in front of the Reichstag, in Germany it is illegal to be a Nazi and the Police are very touchy and aggressive about it. Doing such things as showing a Swastika, doing the Heil Hitler salute, even spouting Nazi ideology will get you arrested. That is simply ignorance of the law on a place they are visiting, and ignorance of the law is not an excuse in most places.

Where is an incident where words someone said online actually harmed someone, and only words. Because that's all that's going to be said to you in a match.

I think some people should grow a bit thicker skin, sure. However there is no denying that some individuals join games and spew absolute garbage in chat attempting to get a rise out of people. Yes there is a mute function to mute players yourself, but I don't believe it permanently mutes them. I don't see the harm in adding a report function and players getting globally muted by admins who do nothing but join games to spew garbage into chat all the time.

Again those aren't really related to gaming and in the 2nd instance where the Chinese tourists are doing the Heil Hitler salute in front of the Reichstag, in Germany it is illegal to be a Nazi and the Police are very touchy and aggressive about it. Doing such things as showing a Swastika, doing the Heil Hitler salute, even spouting Nazi ideology will get you arrested. That is simply ignorance of the law on a place they are visiting, and ignorance of the law is not an excuse in most places.

Where is an incident where words someone said online actually harmed someone, and only words. Because that's all that's going to be said to you in a match.

I think some people should grow a bit thicker skin, sure. However there is no denying that some individuals join games and spew absolute garbage in chat attempting to get a rise out of people. Yes there is a mute function to mute players yourself, but I don't believe it permanently mutes them. I don't see the harm in adding a report function and players getting globally muted by admins who do nothing but join games to spew garbage into chat all the time.

I don't know if you actually read my first link, but I feel that it is a good example of what "just words" can generate. In that case misinformation and ethnic hate was spread through Facebook, which riled people up enough that it turned into very real violence. Of course that one is a bit of an extreme example. However, no one would have thought that something like that could happen, and yet it did. Words online have a very real impact on the real world, and since obviously going around insulting random people in the streets won't go well for whoever does it in real life, I don't see why it should get a free pass online.

I would also like to point out that I am not talking about jokes thrown around in good faith between friends, or the occasional **** you from a frustrated player who lost their third match in a row. I am talking about blatant, obvious toxic behavior here (as in those people who spew garbage in chat that you mention).

At the end of the day it seems that we are in agreement over the substance of the issue. And how reports will be handled won't be up to any of us anyway :smile: (I do take comfort in the fact that the code of conduct of this forum is clearly against toxic behavior, which makes me hope that that's what MP policies will look like once it's all said and done).

I don't know if you actually read my first link, but I feel that it is a good example of what "just words" can generate. In that case misinformation and ethnic hate was spread through Facebook, which riled people up enough that it turned into very real violence. Of course that one is a bit of an extreme example. However, no one would have thought that something like that could happen, and yet it did. Words online have a very real impact on the real world, and since obviously going around insulting random people in the streets won't go well for whoever does it in real life, I don't see why it should get a free pass online.

I would also like to point out that I am not talking about jokes thrown around in good faith between friends, or the occasional **** you from a frustrated player who lost their third match in a row. I am talking about blatant, obvious toxic behavior here (as in those people who spew garbage in chat that you mention).

At the end of the day it seems that we are in agreement over the substance of the issue. And how reports will be handled won't be up to any of us anyway :smile: (I do take comfort in the fact that the code of conduct of this forum is clearly against toxic behavior, which makes me hope that that's what MP policies will look like once it's all said and done).

Of course, I may think your examples a bit extreme when it applies to Bannerlord, but I agree with you that reporting and the global mute function that Devs have stated they plan to implement will be used. Some people's sole goal is to get in the game and try to rile people up by typing the most offensive things they can to achieve it. For such individuals, I don't think a personal player mute is enough. I wouldn't like to see toxic behavior take root in this game simply for the fact that it deters potential players interested in MP away from the game.

Back
Top Bottom