There are so many armies that are only level 1 and 2 recruits pls fix!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Taleworlds needs to add another way of leveling up troops. Im tired of seeing ally and enemy armies/parties that consist of weak level 1 and 2 troops. There should be a way of training troops at garisons or training fields.

ai armies that are literally just recruits?? https://imgur.com/gallery/bhm1GiO
And heres an image I took of a battle I had earlier. I was commanding an army of about 500. There were so many level 1 imperial recruits. Turns out at leasy 200 of those 500 were level 1 recruits. This needs to be fixed

I suspect the AI parties level up through time (provided they survives) with a given formula on proportion of different tiered troops they should have. Enemy lords to spawn with sprinkles of high tiered units, and your own parties led by your companions will be just recruits, several days later they magically upgrades via said formula. (As we know they don't upgrade through battle xp, no financial management for them.

It's not unrealistic that hastily raised armies consisted mostly of recruits. While the roman empire had a large professional army, most of the armies of the middle ages consisted mostly of peasant levies. They would have a core of well trained soldiers and the rest of the army was made up of whatever troops the lords could round up on short notice.

Gameplay goes straight to hell with these "recruits only" armies. In battle they die and run away and you chace them down... battle won. What battle I ask? Game is very close to not worth playing like this.

This was one of the first things I modded out of warband back in the day. Morale along with it. I want to combat and fighting. Not chasing down peasants. Recruits should only make up max 15% of armies. Now they make up 90%.

All the lords in this game after being release get 30 or so recruits and gather 50 more and that is how they will stay forever. Then you face armies of 500 recruits that have with them maybe 10% better tier 2 troops.

I don't give a damn about realism. This is a game. I want battles that are entertaining and with a good level of difficulty. I only get bored and sad when repeatedly run into armies of peasants.

Army composition should be closer to:
15% Tier 5
25% Tier 4
35% Tier 3
25% Tier 2-1

Even facing armies like these would eventually become easy to defeat.
I much rather face armies made up of 90% Tier 4-5 than Tier 1. At least I will be entertained.

There should be a difficulty scale in options for those who think it is too difficult and can't manage it of course. Those who want challenge don't want to face recruits all day long.

Yes. Agree. They need to add some passive training and MAKE lords to use it.

So lords need to recruit army and then train it to some lvl.

It will helps with few problems:
1) Get rid of pesant only armies
2) Get rid of endless army spam

Becouse right now i have 80% of battles like this

5 minutes of setup
1 minute of fighting
10 minutes of chasing all over the map this few stupid horse archers who dont wat to give up.

45% of armies being t1-2 still seems a bit high to me. half that again and I'd be fine. but its an important step in the right direction.

Yes. Agree. They need to add some passive training and MAKE lords to use it.

So lords need to recruit army and then train it to some lvl.

It will helps with few problems:
1) Get rid of pesant only armies
2) Get rid of endless army spam

Becouse right now i have 80% of battles like this

5 minutes of setup
1 minute of fighting
10 minutes of chasing all over the map this few stupid horse archers who dont wat to give up.

I feel that.

In warband Lords toke soldiers from their towns and castles. This is where their troops spawned. There was 3 sets of troops that spawned somewhat randomly to their forts and you could tweak those numbers so lords would get quite balanced armies. Now lords and player recruit from villages and train them. Training is extremely slow since lords don't fight looters and such. If the training rate is increased they would eventually all be T5 troops or stay low tier. Lords need to be able to recruit different tier troops in the right amount. Finding a good balance is not an easy task with the current system I guess.

I hope they would put in a scaling system where the player can choose the difficulty he gets during campaign. Once you get powerful enough and you always do its going to be steamroll after that.

Good to hear they are adjusting this issue.

I dont understand why to fix that! If i beat their huge armies where should they get high tier soldiers? When there are no high tier troops in their fiefs they need to take recruits from the villages and level them up like the player. I dont want a cheating AI

I hope they would put in a scaling system where the player can choose the difficulty he gets during campaign. Once you get powerful enough and you always do its going to be steamroll after that.
Yes. Changing midgame difficulty is always good. And i think that in Warband it was done really well.Becosue i dont give a crap about "realistic"
recruiting. I need a fun game.

I dont understand why to fix that! If i beat their huge armies where should they get high tier soldiers? When there are no high tier troops in their fiefs they need to take recruits from the villages and level them up like the player. I dont want a cheating AI

AI won't match a decent human player nor will a gaming company put thousands of hours into developing a great AI. A cheating AI is much easier to put into play.

What happens in this game is AI armies will fight each other and once you enter the bigger battle phase AI armies have already spent all their T3-T5 troops long ago so you will only face peasants. Even if you do manage to fight a faction with good troops its just a few battles and they are all gone. Rest of the game is peasant hunting and steamrolling.

I'll take a cheating AI and face its properly developed armies over peasant armies any day. I will have a challenge and I will be entertained. I'm already tired of poking my lance in the backs of 1000 peasants running away.

I'll change it right back to 70% myself after the patch. That's what's realistic and immersive, not to mention satisfying to beat. Most armies were peasant levies with only very few professional troops.

I'll change it right back to 70% myself after the patch. That's what's realistic and immersive, not to mention satisfying to beat. Most armies were peasant levies with only very few professional troops.
they arent even levies though, they dont have shields, or any armor. They literally look like they just got off the toilet somewhere and found a sword...

Yes, this is a big issue for me as well. I feel like a lord who's had his/her army destroyed ought to stay at home and train the recruits to at least tier 3 before going on the offensive again. I can't count how many times I've seen imperial armies with +85% recruits being caught by the Kuzaits, and I'm suspecting this to be one of the main reasons why the northern empire dies -always- dies within a few years.

Just make lords stay at home to retrain their army once defeated, as the AI lords are too aggressive anyway. Having pure recruit armies lay siege to downs feels so stupid. In one instance, the western empire sieged my city of Poros with twice as many men as my garrison, but their army consisted of roughly 75% recruits and mine of legionaries and Fians. It was a slaughter. The enemies fell before they could even get to the ladders.

AI won't match a decent human player nor will a gaming company put thousands of hours into developing a great AI. A cheating AI is much easier to put into play.

What happens in this game is AI armies will fight each other and once you enter the bigger battle phase AI armies have already spent all their T3-T5 troops long ago so you will only face peasants. Even if you do manage to fight a faction with good troops its just a few battles and they are all gone. Rest of the game is peasant hunting and steamrolling.

I'll take a cheating AI and face its properly developed armies over peasant armies any day. I will have a challenge and I will be entertained. I'm already tired of poking my lance in the backs of 1000 peasants running away.

I understand your arguments. Maybe it should be possible to upgrade your recruits levels with a building in castle/city to prevent low. level tiers in mid/endgame

It's not unrealistic that hastily raised armies consisted mostly of recruits. While the roman empire had a large professional army, most of the armies of the middle ages consisted mostly of peasant levies. They would have a core of well trained soldiers and the rest of the army was made up of whatever troops the lords could round up on short notice.

realistic is one thing, but i think gameplay is more important. Watching hundres peasant killing each other with kitchen knifes is not what we want in this game. lords including players should train their troops much much faster or at least from T1-T3.

I think the proliferation of low level armies fielded by AI lords is mostly a result of the way that they get given a wad of low level troops for free when they escape capture, and their aggression level towards war activity is too high. Basically they are constantly seething with war bloodlust, so when they respawn with a ton of free troops, they just ride for the front and feed the youth of their people into a meat grinder.

If their recruitment was more natural and their objectives more balanced it would improve the flow of war, so that defeating a lord would have more meaning than it does now because they would take time to recruit instead of showing up at the front a day later with 100 men. The time taken to recruit would give the early recruits an opportunity to level up and provide a more interesting distribution of troop levels.

All this happened naturally in Warband because of the way AI lords were programmed to behave. We currently have a problem in Bannerlord because the AI is less developed, and the bandaid of giving lords lots of troops so they didn't get stomped by bandits has flowed through to undesirable consequences.

Edit: what I initially posted sounded more harsh than I intended so I toned it down. No point sounding cranky when I'm happy with the direction Taleworlds is taking in the next patch to lessen this problem.

Last edited:
They are also constantly losing veteran troops to attrition every time they fight some looters because of how the auto resolve works.

Back
Top Bottom