The siege of Gallianum -- a play-through of a campaign, with screenshots

Users who are viewing this thread

I thought I might post a series of screenshots demonstrating a typical campaign, which showcases many of the features in the game. Note that this is all AI -- as a player, I'm just an observer. I'm the lone horseman with the bear banner, just hanging out, Zelig-like.

At any rate, Alexios, the Byzantine governor based in the town of Catania on the east coast of the island, has decided to lay siege to the Norman castle of Gallianum. Byzantine leaders are somewhat more likely to have the "persistent" character trait, which means they will often spend extra resources to take and hold fortified locations, rather than quick and easy raids for booty.

Note the farms and fishing boats surrounding Catania. These only show when the player is nearby, but basically indicate the location of "farms" (which include other economic sites) near a settlement. While a large raiding force may attack a settlement directly, smaller ones will usually just ride around, setting the farms alight.

s1messengers.jpg

Alexios sends out his messengers to summon his vassals to the provincial capital. The long jumble of words and numbers under the message is basically a debugging aide, but it lets you know a bit about what is going on under the hood. MeTc means that the unit is on a messenger mission, tasked to travel to a center. D0 F7 C0 means that it has no disorganization, 7 (minor) fatigue, and no concealment. ENC0 means that it is carrying no extra baggage.

s2messengerresponse.jpg

First to respond is Manuel, lord of Maskali, who comes bring both his own household troops and a force of levies from the fief. Another lord is also approaching from the distance. AsJo means that Manuel is Assisting Alexios, and is currently in the process of Joining him.

Some time later the army sets out. Missions are frequently given an "h-hour," meaning that the army will not set forth until a fixed time of day. This allows major forces to wait until troops are assembled before heading forth to battle.

s3hiding.jpg

Alexios' army of 600 men is on the march in the far right of the frame. In the foreground, a group of skirmishers from a nearby Norman town has ridden forth to harass it, but then thought better of it -- probably because Alexios pulled in some stragglers. It is hiding. Alexios' unit has put out a group of outriders, who have all but stumbled onto the skirmishers' hiding place. Still, they haven't seen the skirmishers yet.

s4attackedbyoutridesrs.jpg

Bad luck -- the Norman skirmishers were caught by the Greek outriders, but the battle was relatively inconclusive and they are routing away. A rout means that you lose most of your baggage, and your wounded may be taken prisoner. Still, the majority of your forces might live to fight another day. Alexios' army meanwhile has continued over the hills, and its outriders will need to catch up.

s5raidersattacked.jpg

Alexios has arrived at his target, Gallianum, and is beginning to lay siege. Right now I think his army is pitching camp. However, it has also deployed a raiding party to ravage the surrounding land. Unfortunately for the Greeks, both armies making camp and raiders dispersing to pillage are more vulnerable, and Gallianum has dispatched a small party of horsemen to attack the raiders when they're still dispersed.

s6defendingcamp.jpg

Here a passing Norman lord, Walther, has interrupted his raid to investigate what is going on around Gallianum. Alexios brings his host on a sortie forth from camp to drive him away. This works well for now, but such an aggressive response might have unfortunate consequences in the future...

s7incomingsupplycolumn.jpg

Alexios' siege procedes. You can't see it, but his men are busy at work building a belfry to assault the walls. As the game develops, they may also work on parallel projects -- ramps, filling in the moat, digging mines, assembling catapults, or preparing ladders or rams, if a belfry is not suitable.

All this takes time, however, and a besieging army needs to feed itself. The raiding parties are in the process of stripping most of the area around Gallianum of useable forage, but Alexios has also sent out supply columns to Catania. I think you can see one coming in, and another coming out.

s8returningraiders.jpg

Another larger and more threatening force approaches, and Alexios again chases it off. Here you can see a returning raiding party led by Andreas decide to join him. Andreas was riding back from a foraging expedition when he caught sight of his leader (which was quite lucky, unless it has only just turned dark) and is joining him directly rather than heading to camp.

s9skirmisherscaught.jpg

Alexios catches the smaller party (I'm guessing because he was fresh, and the Normans were tired from marching up all those hills) and engages in combat. Note how the smaller Greek party rushes to reinforce, even though it is much weaker than the Normans, because the Normans are already caught up in battle.

This might seem like a bad move by the Normans to keep harassing Alexios' larger force. But each hour that his army is outside of camp is an hour which they don't get to work on their belfry. Plus, other things can happen as well...

You may also ask why Alexios would go chasing after enemy armies if they aren't large enough to attack his camp directly. Well, a large enemy force in the vicinity means that he can't put out foragers or supply columns to keep his troops fed. Supply versus security is the dilemma...

s10skirmishersraidcamp.jpg

As Alexios' army rests after lumbering back up the hill. Gallianum deploys a small force of skirmishers to attack the camp. They probably will just cause a few casualties (and if I can implement it properly, lower morale) but it is an annoyance.

s11sneakyskirmishers.jpg

The skirmishers have snapped at the camp a few times, inflicting a few casualties and taking some of their own. Alexios' army is back and picks up work on the belfry. Meanwhile, a group of outriders is hunting the skirmishers, but the crafty horsemen are hiding.

s12gotthematlast-1.jpg

Alexios' army has gone lumbering around after the skirmishers, but it's a foraging party which catches them. At last! Now, that belfry must be almost complete by now...

s13siegecampleftvulnerable.jpg

Oops. Alexios, chasing off another party, wanders a bit too far from camp. Gallianum throws all its forces into a sortie against the siege camp.

s14siegeindisarray.jpg

Disaster. The siege camp is driven off and destroyed (actually it routs a bit, and is then snapped up by another town's sortie). Unfortunately for Alexios, armies will stockpile all of their supplies in camp. Alexios marches back to the nearest friendly town, Adranon, to take stock. (Actually, I'm not sure why his party does this. I'll have to figure out myself whether it was a bug or a feature). In the far bottom right you might be able to make out a small Greek force, maybe outriders or foragers, who got separated from Alexios and are probably wondering how to find him.

s15backformore.jpg

Alexios isn't giving up. He has resupplied at Adranon, and is marching back to re-invest Gallianum (he's in the bottom right, with 632 troops). Some of his troops go home, but he is able to more than make up for the manpower. However, he does seem to have lost some of the vassals who were with him -- which can be difficult, as you need them to lead forage, supply, outrider, and blocking parties -- the latter being a party which keeps watch on the other side of the fortress, and can keep away enemy parties so that the main forces is not disturbed.

I've highlighted here the levy of Randaj, which is returning home as its leader (probably a foraging or other force which became separated during the disaster at the camp, is no longer involved in the mission). Some other units are also dispersing back to their homes.

Anyway, that's the campaign so far. I'll try to play out the rest of it shortly, and post the results.

Your additions never fail to amaze me and I am excited to see that you are making considerable progress on this mod, especially on the strategical aspect. By developing the campaign in such a way, I feel that you have targeted an area of Native that was never really completed and wish you the best of luck.

Please keep us updated on the outcome of this campaign  :smile:

Wow, I must admit I had some difficulty following your long descriptions of the campaign features (in other threads),
but this makes it much more clear to me; and overly impressive.
Seems like M&B can be a platform for unprecedented simulations of (early) medieval wars.

Excellent work! 

Unprecedentedly complex. I feel like watching a Medieval campaign simulation . Can't wait tto see the end of it!

Reading your last progress report was exciting enough, but seeing it a work... my my my! :grin:

It really is what I've been looking for since mods for the commercial version started appearing: more options for the bland native campaign system.

With your improvements, you won't have to fight battles with 20-30 men against a 500 strong war party; which has always been something of an immersion breaker to me.

Instead, even one of those "humble but so much needed" duties as forager, outrider, etc. will make the player feel like he's having a meaningful role in the campaign.
Not only that, but you'll be able to act in many clever and sneaky ways (destroy supply columns, lead sorties) or try and be a daring (foolish?) commander (attacking a far away location).

More options... more fun. :wink:

I'd with it was out already, but take your time to complete your incredible work, Nijis! :smile:

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. Giving the player the option to serve in a subordinate but meaningful role -- or try to defeat an army indirectly by attacking other lords doing support work -- was indeed what I was thinking when I started working on this.

Anyway, I played through the rest of Alexios' campaign, and here is what happened...

s16gallianumreinforcements.jpg

As Alexios' army marches towards Gallianum, a sortie chases away one of his subordinate parties which has been lingering the area after the last turn's disaster, waiting to rendezvous with its commander. Note that the Gallianum force has gone quite big. Fortresses which are threatened will often accumulate troops, as neighboring centers send forces to investigate who stay on to defend.

s17gallianumgarrison.jpg

Alexios has arrived at Gallianum again and is pitching camp. Here are the forces now defending the castle.

s18skirmishersmusttravel.jpg

With the countryside around Gallianum laid waste from the first expedition, Alexios' foragers must travel further afield -- in this case, to the nearby village of Rahal Abboud -- to get supplies. This makes them more vulnerable.

s19onceagainthecampisvulnerable.jpg

Back at Gallianum, it's deja vu all over again. Alexios is once again led on a wild goose chase over the hills, and his camp is destroyed. Unfortunately, to script an AI which learns from its mistakes in any significant way would be a seriously ambitious task.

s20andagaintoadranon.jpg

He marches back to Adranon, his subordinates fighting rear-guard battles (I think) in his wake. But Alexios hasn't given up yet...

s21caughtinavice.jpg

Adranon is now very well defended. Here a hapless Greek subordinate, fleeing from a sortie near Rahal Abboud, has strayed too close to Gallianum. Even though the party is tiny, it is exhausted from running and from climbing hills (changes in elevation will add to fatigue), and is easy prey for a sortie.

s22thirdtimeluckymaybe.jpg

Alexios' army approaches Adranon to lay siege for a third time. Will this be the decisive confrontation?

s23welcomingcommittee.jpg

A welcoming committee from Adranon harasses his forces as they pitch camp. The asterisk in the party extra text indicates that his army is vulnerable to skirmishers.

s24silentnightwatchfulnight.jpg

The siege is comparatively uneventful, however. By now, most of the surrounding villages and castles are on alert, which means that they tend to husband their forces. A quiet night passes in the hills of central Sicily.

s25assaultatdawn.jpg

Left undisturbed for several days, Alexios completes his belfry. After waiting a short while to see if reinforcements turn up, he lumbers forth to attack Gallianum.

s26battleoutsidethewalls.jpg

It's too late for easy victories, however. Alexios' forces fail to gain a foothold on the walls, and take significant casualties. The defenders of Gallianum are now strong enough to take the battle outside the walls. Alexios' army is attacked as he regroups.

s27routerschaseandothersfinishoffsi.jpg

The Byzantines are routed, and flee down into the valley. Thanks to a bug, the victorious Norman force breaks down into its components, but that's just as well for them. Some of them chase Alexios' routing force, while others finish off the hapless siege camp.

s28smallvictory.jpg

Alexios gives up the siege (that might be because his forces are now too few, or because he was routed). At any rate, he marches back towards his capital at Catania. He does win one little victory along the way, which might be some small consolation. A group of skirmishers try to attack him while he is vulnerable, but he is able to pull his troops together just in time and fight them with his full force. (Note that there is no asterisk in Alexios party text, indicating that his force fights at its full strength. Most skirmishers will stay away from a vulnerable army if there is even a chance it might regroup, but a particularly daring leader might take the risk). 

s29theleviesdisperse.jpg

Alexios reaches Catania and the surviving levies disperse to their homes.

s30andgallianumstandsdown.jpg

Gallianum's defenders also stand down. The contingents from nearby villages march off home, the castle goes off alert, and its reserves go back to the countryside to survey their ruined farms and rebuild their flocks. Peace returns to the hills, but it may be a hungry summer.

Excellent. It's a real shame it isn't in native, but I hope to see this kind of thing in the probable sequel :wink:.

exellent  :smile: as expected of great nijis (I wanted to type more praising words, but all of it was taken by others  :eek:)
howeverl, the big AI "horde" still chases after wandering weaker parties while camping, which felt the same as Native (one way or another). Might you should force them not to chase on far weaker forces while doing important campaigns.

Thanks again to all!

The system still needs a lot of tinkering, though, of which the problem of chasing small parties is just one example. There are some restrictions on pursuit. Large armies on the march don't chase, for example. Pursuits often tend to end much faster than in Native, because pursuers will stop when they got very tired. The problem with siege camps, however, is that they are treated like fortresses and thus put out sorties. This works for fortresses because they have permanent walls, but camps are more vulnerable when the army is elsewhere. However, on the other hand I don't want to have camps become too passive, and so that enemy parties can linger in the vicinity and wreak havoc with supply columns and foragers.

nijis said:
... changes in elevation will add to fatigue ...
Oh, I didn't know about that feature. Nice.

I can't recall having read about weather/seasons.
Has anything been changed in that area? In native weather seems rather random (not following seasons),
and the impact on troops is hardly worth mentioning.

i must say that i am really excited.
do you mean to say that player can assume any of the represented roles (foraging train, skirmishing party, raiders, etc.) on his senior's demand? and when he is marshal he can somehow command his vassals what exactly to do?

Weaver said:
i must say that i am really excited.
do you mean to say that player can assume any of the represented roles (foraging train, skirmishing party, raiders, etc.) on his senior's demand? and when he is marshal he can somehow command his vassals what exactly to do?

He hasn't got that far yet, but hopefully.

This preview is excellent and quite a mouth-watering example of what we can expect from this wonderful mod when it actually comes out. I've always been a fan for realism and simulating some of the more little known aspects of medieval warfare like the methods through which a much smaller army could defeat a numerically superior force, as the Wallachians often did with the Turks in the Fourteenth and Fifteenth century. I can't wait to bleed an army dry by eating up its sorties and foragers while avoiding the actual core of the army or allowing my allies to draw away the main part of the army so I'm left to hit the siege camp. Oh, the possibilities!

Yep, the idea is for the player to be able to take on both commanding and subordinate roles, if they have sufficient rank. I was also planning on allowing players to join an army as a lowly private soldier, and be dragged along on campaign (like a prisoner in Native, but at a slower and more observable pace) -- with the option of being able to desert at any time. All this remains to be implemented, though.

Agent Griff -- can you recommend any good sources on the Wallachian campaigns? I'm always interested in getting new examples of how these kinds of tactics actually played out...

Back
Top Bottom