The killed in siege battles unrealistically are all high tier troops

Users who are viewing this thread

I've watched the results of siege battles (while I am the attacking one), and the dead are always high tier troops. I have about as much low tier troops as high tier troops, but there is no low tier troops in casualties. The dead are tiers 5,6 and 7.

What's with that? Are low tier toops all coming in the reinforcements? Do I have a mod that causes this, or is it vanilla game issue? I'm playing early access 1.8.1 version of the game.

Last edited:
I don't know when it was added, but in the options menu there is an option for which units gets placed on the battlefield first, I think default defaults to high tier units. Perhaps this is your issue. Also, tier 7 is only with mods.

Why don't you play on the release version? Mods?

It makes sense if the high tier troops are spawning in the first waves. They're the ones getting slammed by the siege weapons and forcing their way through the toughest resistance. The low tier guys, if they even make it into the battle at all, are usually coming in when its time to mop up

Also, tier 7 is only with mods.
Not necessarily. I don't know if its a mental block or poorly designed symbols, but my mind always reads the Tier 4 symbol as a 5, and so I always think of T5 and T6 as T6 and T7. For me, T4 doesn't exist. It just skips from T3 to T5.

Last edited:
I don't know when it was added, but in the options menu there is an option for which units gets placed on the battlefield first, I think default defaults to high tier units. Perhaps this is your issue. Also, tier 7 is only with mods.

Why don't you play on the release version? Mods?
Oh, "Units Spawn Prioritization" in options. Never noticed that. Thanks!
I have it default, which means "Units spawn according to their position in the roster". Errr... what roster? Does it mean units that are selected with hotkeys in battle?

Other choises are: high level, low level and homogeneous (equal rate of high and low level).
I think I'll change it to homogeneous. It's most realistic I think. And I'll see if it has any change to those who get killed.

Yeah, tier 7 is added by mods.
Yeah, no release version because of mods. Don't know if all these installed in the campaign I play work with release version.

It makes sense if the high tier troops are spawning in the first waves.
Maybe. I don't think I would quite agree with that. But when the only troops dying in siege battles (probably other battles too, I have't followed that as often I don't lose any troops in field battles) are high tier, it doesn't make sense. Should lose sometimes lower tier too.

I'm upset when 10 guys die, what is your Medicine skill?

What tactics do you use during sieges?

My surgeon's Medicine skill level is 200. But why I don't usually lose men in field battles, is because I lead an army (only my own clan, but it's still now bit over 800 men), and use my own character to solo attack enemy first. Usually the enemy will not attack right away (except looters), as I have upper hand in strength, so my character has time to cut down their numbers, usually it means they lose all their cavalry and some infantry, often I go at archers next. My troops has a lot of archers too, mostly horse archers. The result is that the enemy usually dies before they get to melee distance. (I play with the Bannerlord difficulty level, realistic damage).

For the next game I planned to not do hero character solo attacks at all. It's unrealistic leader of the army attacks alone.

Siege tactics? I usually use trebuchets to bomb down all the defending siege machines, then build an onager or two. Sometimes I use my hero character to shoot at enemy archers, sometimes I rush to setup ladders and climb on the walls. If I broke the walls, then I usually lure the defenders out. If that's what you mean.

Last edited:
Maybe. I don't think I would quite agree with that. But when the only troops dying in siege battles (probably other battles too, I have't followed that as often I don't lose any troops in field battles) are high tier, it doesn't make sense. Should lose sometimes lower tier too.
How many men are getting wounded in your sieges? Is your entire army even spawning in? In my sieges, the first couple waves of guys are pretty much winning the whole battle. The low tiers usually don't even spawn in at all.

Remember, its your best troops who are doing the hardest fighting. They're the first ones up the ladders and breaking down the gate and facing tight blocks of fresh defenders, so it would make sense they would take the most casualties. Once they've broken through the fighting gets a lot looser, and then your lower tier guys are coming in and having a much easier time.

How many men are getting wounded in your sieges? Is your entire army even spawning in?
No, they aren't all spawning. But I didn't expect the low tier missing the battle entirely. I'm not sure how many actually spawns, never counted together the men of all the units. Estimating, from memory, maybe around 500 troops on one side?

Now that I know this "Units Spawn Prioritization" in options -thing, it makes sense there are very few low tier in the (early) battle. I was suspecting this, as seen from the first comment, but didn't know exactly, nor why.

Back
Top Bottom