The FCC Now Runs the Internet

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod said:
You could wipe out every ISP in the US and the internet would be completely unaffected, it wouldn't even stop people in the US accessing the internet if they owned their own DNS server and a connection to the international telecommunication network.

Yeah you're still not getting it.

ISP being a transportation to the internet, how many people know how to build their own cars?

Most of the webbers are preteen sluts watching Justin Beber on YouTube, soccer moms shopping for vibrators, or overweight male virgins with *****tits trying to get a WoW raid done.

None of which are knowledgeable beyond pressing the on button, let alone how to set up their own service.

Shatari said:
Quite frankly, I'd be hesitant to eat a third-party pizza that wasn't regulated.

Like that would ever make a difference to anyone wanting to do nefarious deeds to your meal.

Just like everything else with government regulations, in the end the best regulator ends up being the private individual.

And if you don't believe me just walk into a restaurant, and treat the servers like ****, or be ultra critique to the food served to you, and send it back to the cook.

All the government in the world won't save you ass from getting food spat upon or dropped on the floor.

ealabor said:
ISP being a transportation to the internet, how many people know how to build their own cars?
Eh, they can just look it up on the internet.

ealabor said:
Like that would ever make a difference to anyone wanting to do nefarious deeds to your meal.
Nefarious nothing. I just want them to have to wash their hands, cook with clean utensils, and use ingredients that aren't dangerous.

Regendur said:
Shatari said:
ealabor said:
Eh, they can just look it up on the internet.
Do you want to?

Do you have the resources?

Now, I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure that setting up your own ISP is easier and cheaper than building your own car from scratch.

Hell, I know 4 people who'd help me do it if I paid them in beers.

Five if I hire Arch as the project manager and pay him in h0's.

CountArtha said:
No, telecommunications companies like Bellsouth and AT&T do.  It's their infrastructure too that is being regulated; not just ISP practices.
No they don't. AT & T do server hosting but to be frank they do server hosting like Frank Sinatra done Shakespeare. The internet is created by all computers which connect to it. The only important part is the master routing tables, which IIRC currently reside on around 12 hosts on the Academic network.
For all the theory about monopolists preying on smaller companies, it VERY seldom happens in practice.
Right. So department stores don't exist, Microsoft is a funny little company that releases mods of IBM's OS' and News Corp is the publisher of a small Australian Newspaper.
  Each competitor a monopolist absorbs is more expensive than the last because it controls a greater share of the remainder
Market shares do not work like investment shares /facepalm. Each competitor costs exactly the same they would if you'd never bought any in the first place, their value is based on their assets, not their market share. Their market share doesn't increase when a competitor is bought, unless the buyout decreases the market share of the competitor.
  Besides, there's nothing barring another telecom from entering the market if consumer demand is high enough. 
And there's nothing barring Mr Murdoch buying that one too, what with him now having more money and the start up needing investment.
hard to pull off without a series of tubes
Not really, it's called wireless. You might have heard of it. It's the future you know.
ealabor said:
I'm gonna just leave that there as some kind of weird philosophical statement. All you need is access to the backbone. The hardest part of this process is usually choosing between a cabled or non-cabled medium. Then you need a DNS server, plenty of free ones out there to pick from, and you have internets. I mean the only reason ISP's exist in the first place is because in theory they save on line rental and running fees by virtue of the economics of scale, which means it's cheaper. In practice this might have been true around a decade ago when you needed an actual server for DNS, but these days I reckon you'd actually save money by doing it yourself (particularly if like the ISP you can rent the lines at wholesale prices).
Most of the webbers are preteen sluts watching Justin Beber on YouTube, soccer moms shopping for vibrators, or overweight male virgins with *****tits trying to get a WoW raid done.
Yeah, all I'm seeing here is a reason for greater regulation of the internet. They can ban Bieber for a start.
Just like everything else with government regulations, in the end the best regulator ends up being the private individual.
Assuming things like health and safety and child slavery aren't big issues for you.

Pah, don't you know that America is the leader of the world?

Sarcasm. I shouldn't have to add this, but someone might take it at face value.

Interesting speculation piece on if the FCC had regulated the internet back in the early 90's.

http://www.slate.com/id/2279106/pagenum/all

The FCC is particularly enamored of the "back door" that Microsoft has built into Bob, making it easier for police to monitor communications in real time. The commission also applauds Microsoft's forward thinking because it has incorporated a virtual "V-chip" in Bob. The censoring software is analogous to the V-chip the FCC wants TV manufacturers to build into their sets to block violent and mature TV programming from being viewed by children.

The regulators also love Bob because it has created more "Channels" for police, fire, libraries, city councils, legislatures, courts, and public service messages than the other proposed systems. Bob testers complain that these channels leave little space for the data, information, and communications they expect to find on an online system. One compares Bob to a government designed version of the Yellow Pages, only duller. Another pines for the Wild West days of the unregulated online world when you didn't have to pay virtual "parking" to your local municipality before you went shopping inside the online mall.

Some of it just sounds like scaremongering, but some of it seems plausible, too.

Just read this article today, it nicely sums up whats going on with the new rules: http://gigaom.com/2010/12/28/who-wins-and-loses-under-the-fccs-net-neutrality-rules/

rgodfrey said:
FCC Push to Sovietize Broadcast Media in America!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8AhOdK7qE
totalidiot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom