Texturing in Paint Shop Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Inukshuk

Sergeant at Arms
Ok, all of the texturing tutorials I have found are for photoshop. I have Paint Shop Pro - which is just as good. I've done countless tutorials designed for photoshop using Paint Shop pro and got the exact same quality of end product. But anyway, that's not exactly the point of the thread.

I was thinking about writing a tutorial for texturing in Paint Shop Pro, so I'm doing some "market research" as it were. I need to know if there is anyone here who has Paint Shop Pro, and not Photoshop. More importantly, are there any people with Paint Shop Pro who would really like to get into texturing but can't because all the tutorials are for photoshop? If I get enough response, I might write a nice, detailed tutorial with lots of screenies for all my fellow Paint Shop Pro users  :grin:

Well, you see, I also thought about saving up for Photoshop (which would have taken a while), but I have yet to find anything described in Photoshop that I cannot do in Paintshop Pro. Just name me anything and I bet you I can do it. I used Photoshop at school, and could not see much difference at all. Also, I watched you texture that helmet in your video tutorial (thanks so much for that  :smile:), and all the things you did like pasting on textures and giving layers different opacities or setting them to multiply were just as easy in Paint Shop Pro. There was not one thing you did in that tutorial that couldn't be done in Paint Shop Pro, you just have to know where to look.

Anyway, I'm not saying you're wrong in anyway, or that one programme is better. I think it is pure chance that more people use photoshop - maybe it was advertised more when it was relesed, or perhaps it was released before paint shop pro (in which case people would have thought "there's no point, it's the same as photoshop). I cannot see any way in that Photoshop is better than paint shop pro, and it seems the reason why all the tutorials and whatnot are for photoshop is simply because that's what the majority of people own.

Anyway, anyone who would like make a tutorial specifically for Paint shop pro users, just post here. I might even do one anyway, so it's there if anyone wants it.

I use Paint Shop Pro but I don't think I really need a tutorial, though some might. I think I can name something that you can do in Photoshop that you cannot do in PSP, and unfortunately it is essential to M&B: save alpha channels in DDS. This is the only reason I have both programs. I find that PSP is much easier to use, and it seems to have more tools. Selecting color range yields better results in Paint Shop Pro, but they are easier to edit in Photoshop. So I usually produce my texture and alpha channels in PSP and  save as a TGA,  then fine tune the exact brightness of the channel through Photoshop. Overall I think that Photoshop wins for texturing in M&B because you can do the same things as in Paint Shop Pro (although the processes are different) and not have to put up with the hassle of switching between programs to get everything you need. But I will continue to do it as I do.

Inukshuk said:
Ok, all of the texturing tutorials I have found are for photoshop. I have Paint Shop Pro - which is just as good. I've done countless tutorials designed for photoshop using Paint Shop pro and got the exact same quality of end product. But anyway, that's not exactly the point of the thread.

Paint Shop just as good as Photoshop??? My God, I laugh at that - no offense, my friend, but it's like comparing a biplane with a supersonic jet fighter.

Talon said:
I use Paint Shop Pro but I don't think I really need a tutorial, though some might. I think I can name something that you can do in Photoshop that you cannot do in PSP, and unfortunately it is essential to M&B: save alpha channels in DDS.

I use PSP for a lot of my texturing, and saving alpha channels in DDSs works fine.  There are a few issues with it, but Photoshop has its own issues with saving alpha too.  I use PSP 7, but I assume whatever the latest version is would be able to handle it too.  What problems are you having?

BTW, I have photoshop as well, but still find PSP faster to work in, unless I'm doing something more detailed, or need to use a graphics tablet (with pressure sensitivity).  It really just depends what your used to.  I used PSP for ages before I tried photoshop, so I'm used to the way its tools work.

I do not own PSP, having photoshop, but I think there's always room for well-made tutorials, especially if it can lead to more weapons for the game  :eek:

I use version 8. Here is what happens when I try to save an alpha,

noalpha.jpg

Ah, yeah, I think I get the same warning, however it will still save the alpha channel as long as you select a DDS format that supports it.

Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, since I'm the one who proposes to write the tutorial. How on earth did you create an alpha channel??? I could not find any way to do that, pleeeeaaase show me how you did that  :grin:.

Sure, here is the simple simple version in PSP (without looking so don't hold me to it if I'm wrong)
- Select area of the texture you want to have Alpha
- >Selection>Modify>Select Color Range (optional but they turn out better)
- Probably just leave it at default settings (0, 256 I think)
- >Selection>Save Selection To Alpha
- You should get a pop-up of what the selection will look like, and verify save
- >File>Save As . . . whatever file type you can get it in game with

Back
Top Bottom