Suggestions (faction specific suggestions in faction specific threads please)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, if they have a certain amount and think they can give you a fair fight they will still fight.

even though I usually observe and not post, yet I cant ignore some mistakes that is occurring to the historical timing in the game. Regardless of the year this mod is based on, When the Mongols and crusades were carried, The Abbassid empire ruled all the modern Arabic continent from Spain to china. So technically, there is no Mameluke state since Mameluke means owned in Arabic and is somewhat like the Teutonic order. Also there was no real sultanate until 1258 or so. The Abbassid empire was ruled from Baghdad, and usually the ruler (who is voted by the people) assigns lords (Wale in Arabic) to each emirate. These emirates are different and have different names, it is like modern Arabic world where there are different Arabic countries however united under the Arabic council (Calipha in old time).

So, any region that is Arabic follows the Abbassid Empire. However, there was some divisions that happened during the rule of Al Muatasim bi Allah (the last official Abbassid ruler) such as the mamluk in Egypt (even though I dont remember any mamluke, yet wikipidia wrote so I guess it might have been an order). The Abbasid empire was briefly ended for three years in 1519, when Hulagu Khan, the Mongol conqueror, sacked Baghdad, resuming in Egypt in 1261. They continued to claim authority in religious matters from their base in Mameluke Egypt up to 1519 when power was formally transferred to the Ottomans and the capital transferred to Istanbul. The time period between 1258 to 1519 was ruled by various empires such as the Andalus in Spain etc.

In Conclusion, All of the Arabic countries should be renamed to Abbassid Caliphate, however may include orders such as Al Galani order or the Mameluke order etc.

Most of the information is taken from Arabic books so there might be some translation errors 

Abbasse said:
even though I usually observe and not post, yet I cant ignore some mistakes that is occurring to the historical timing in the game. Regardless of the year this mod is based on, When the Mongols and crusades were carried, The Abbassid empire ruled all the modern Arabic continent from Spain to china. So technically, there is no Mameluke state since Mameluke means owned in Arabic and is somewhat like the Teutonic order. Also there was no real sultanate until 1258 or so. The Abbassid empire was ruled from Baghdad, and usually the ruler (who is voted by the people) assigns lords (Wale in Arabic) to each emirate. These emirates are different and have different names, it is like modern Arabic world where there are different Arabic countries however united under the Arabic council (Calipha in old time).

So, any region that is Arabic follows the Abbassid Empire. However, there was some divisions that happened during the rule of Al Muatasim bi Allah (the last official Abbassid ruler) such as the mamluk in Egypt (even though I dont remember any mamluke, yet wikipidia wrote so I guess it might have been an order). The Abbasid empire was briefly ended for three years in 1519, when Hulagu Khan, the Mongol conqueror, sacked Baghdad, resuming in Egypt in 1261. They continued to claim authority in religious matters from their base in Mameluke Egypt up to 1519 when power was formally transferred to the Ottomans and the capital transferred to Istanbul. The time period between 1258 to 1519 was ruled by various empires such as the Andalus in Spain etc.

In Conclusion, All of the Arabic countries should be renamed to Abbassid Caliphate, however may include orders such as Al Galani order or the Mameluke order etc.

Most of the information is taken from Arabic books so there might be some translation errors

*Golf Clap*

Abbasse said:

You should read more history, pal. The Abbassid Caliphate had no power outside modern Iraq, and I'd dare say that he held no power at all, the power was held by the Seljuk Sultan of Ispahan.

But, for in case you forgot, the Abasssid Caliphate, to star with, didn't rule in Spain, there the Umayyads ruled after the last Umayyad in Damascus was assassined by Abu'l Abbas al-Saffah, the first Abassid Caliph.

Then, there was another Caliph, the Fatimid Caliph of Al-Qahira, who ruled over Egypt and faced the rivalry of the Turkish lord of Syria, de facto independent from any other authority (originally the Seljuk Sultan, NOT the Abbassid Caliph) and also rival of the different Maghrebin empires, first the Almoravit and then the Almohad Caliphs.

So no real Abbassid Caliphate. Which, anyway, was supressed when the Mongols sacked Baghdad, and this was before 1257.

Tis paragraph in particular is very amusing, because all the dates are wrong and half of the facts are not true:

any region that is Arabic follows the Abbassid Empire. However, there was some divisions that happened during the rule of Al Muatasim bi Allah (the last official Abbassid ruler) such as the mamluk in Egypt (even though I dont remember any mamluke, yet wikipidia wrote so I guess it might have been an order). The Abbasid empire was briefly ended for three years in 1519, when Hulagu Khan, the Mongol conqueror, sacked Baghdad, resuming in Egypt in 1261. They continued to claim authority in religious matters from their base in Mameluke Egypt up to 1519 when power was formally transferred to the Ottomans and the capital transferred to Istanbul. The time period between 1258 to 1519 was ruled by various empires such as the Andalus in Spain etc.

As said before, the Mongols sacked Baghdad in 1258, indeed under Hulaghu Khan, grandson of Genghis Khan. But not really in 1519. There might be errors of translation.

Then, to consider the Mamluks as a military order is the weirdest thing I've ever heard here. They were a company of slaves, Christian boys kidnapped and educated as fierce Muslims. They became the Fatimid and Ayyubid's bodyguards and eventually held so much power that they overthrew the last Ayyubid sultan and became rulers of Egypt and Syria. If you can't find any Mamluk ruler, you must have some virus in Google.

Also, to consider that there was a Muslim empire in Andalusia around 1257 is either a big overstatement about the tiny Kingdom of Granada, or a plain mistake someone made messing up with the dates and chronology of the Almoravits and the Almohads.

Conclusion: there was no Abbassid Caliphate in 1257, your suggestion is pointless.

So i've read this whole damn thread,

My suggestion was made already, but having Pope specific quests would be great.

Say you join a faction, but you purposefully lose relation with various lord, kings, what not.
When you have enough negative realtion across the board, within the faction you are affiliated, you can then visit the Pope for a quest.

I think a crusade, take a castle in the Holy Land,if you succeed then you get lots of Renown, some RtR, positive standing again with your Faction, maybe like +20, even if you were at negative 20.  And a buttload of loot!!!  If you fail you get expelled from your faction, lose a good chunk of change, renown, and RtR.  Maybe you can only join non-christian factions after that.

And plz fix the Ransom quest so you don't have to go clear across the Map, i have yet to accept one just cause it's not worth it.
Delivery missions could pay a little more for the distance you have to go for some of them.

Otherwise this mod is looking great, thnx, and keep up the good work :grin: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mongol troop tree too few when the compere the other factions ....can you add more troops for the next release ...this is more enjoyable for the who play with mongols....

I'm currently looking at the troops module and I am wondering, as I do not recall hearing of European light cavalry using bows in this period, if it wouldn't be sensible to completely remove the short bows all lowest-tier European cavalry are equipped with ? Any exceptions I should be aware of ?

I know that cavalry were trained in both bow and crossbow in Scandinavia, perhaps I should add some light crossbows and bows to these ( though this does not concern the lowest-tier ) ?

Edit :
Also, what should I do about javelins ? Most, if not all, factions in the mod used javelins/throwing spears historically, but currently it is only some of the Eastern factions that still have them, unbalancing the mod.

Skandinav said:
Edit :
Also, what should I do about javelins ? Most, if not all, factions in the mod used javelins/throwing spears historically, but currently it is only some of the Eastern factions that still have them, unbalancing the mod.

Apart from the Spanish, I don't know of any western European nation using javelins at that time, but I could be wrong.

Any spear can be thrown, and spears were likely the most common weapon in 13th century Europe, but javelins were also widely used.

Two examples from Scandinavia in the contemporary Konungs skuggsjá :

Those who have to defend a castle may also make use of these  weapons  which I have now enumerated and many more: trebuckets both large and  small,  hand slings and staff slings. They will find crossbows and other bows,  too, very effective, as well as every other type of shooting weapons,  such  as spears and javelins both light and heavy.

You must also be specially careful, when in the battle line, never to throw your spear, unless you have two, for in battle array on land one spear is more effective than two swords. But if the fight is on shipboard, select two spears which are not to be thrown, one with a shaft long enough to reach easily from ship to ship and one with a shorter shaft, which you will find particularly serviceable when you try to board the enemy's ship. Various kinds of darts should be kept on ships, both heavy javelins and lighter ones. Try to strike your opponent's shield with a heavy javelin, and if the shield glides aside, attack him with a light javelin, unless you are able to reach him with a long-shafted spear. Fight on sea as on land with an even temper and with proper strokes only; and never waste your weapons by hurling them to no purpose.

There is the famous case of the mounted archers from Gascogne. Some militar descriptions show the presence of Gascon sergeants able to shoot European bows (not composite Eastern bows, of course) and even longbows while riding on horse. Also some of they went mercenaries in the 1240-1270 period.

I assume they were not very famous and, consequently, not really interesting from a militar point of view. Probably just the reflection of a bizarre local tradition from Gascogne. They were surely not very good unless in great numbers.

Source: War in the Middle Ages, by Philippe Contamine.

Nonetheless, the Gascon sergeants would make for a very interesting mercenary unit in the mod  :smile:

What about mounted crossbowmen which we know from the period, perhaps replace the bows of the lowest-tier cavalry with crossbows ?

Actually that's a great idea, there weren't many mounted archers in Europe around that time.

Skandinav said:
Nonetheless, the Gascon sergeants would make for a very interesting mercenary unit in the mod  :smile:

What about mounted crossbowmen which we know from the period, perhaps replace the bows of the lowest-tier cavalry with crossbows ?

No, they can't be low-tier. mounted crossbowmen were appreciated sergeant troops, trained and very well paid. I'd say good crossbowmen on horse should be tier-3, a side branch on the sergeants cavalry.

Yes, agreed.

In the generic European troop tree the cav branch goes : Light Cavalry to Man-at-arms to Squire to Knight, and I would go for the second tier Man-at-arms who are already well-armored and expensive, and preferably, as you write César, a side branch to these, either so light Cavalry upgrades to them ( making them second tier ) or Man-at-arms upgrades to them ( as third tier ). Thoughts ?

@Amundr, it seems your Western/Central European tree displays the Templar instead, since the last update.

Life_Erikson said:
PS: Is your avatar from Medieval Total War Viking Invasion? I love this game!  :grin:

Skandinav said:
Aren't those Viking Age shields, Leif Erikson ?

I see you wrote my name the right way. I misstipped the name when I made my profile.  :lol:
Sorry for the late answer, I overlooked your post, and funny really that you mention it because I did it unconsciously it seems. I remember your name from Multiplayer and I did actually always wonder, besides that it was a great name, if it was some kind of word play on Leif Erikson, ie. the life of Leif Erikson or something to that effect.

And yes, my avatar is from the excellent Viking Invasion for Medieval I : Total War  :smile: And yes, it would be great to have your fine round shields retextured to replace the native ones.

I have removed Narf's fine but anachronistic aketons from all units wearing them but perhaps they should be removed from the mod completely ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom