[Suggestion] Building times and options.

What do you think should be done?

Votes: 32 22.7%

Votes: 7 5.0%

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • All of above

Votes: 80 56.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mabons

I never got the chance to test singleplayer beta, but as I have been playing it these last couple of days. It really pissed me off how it took nearly a year to build a mill, school, tower, and etc in a village(in other words; fully upgrade it) and thats with 10 engineering. I even remember that it used to be a fish pond instead of mill. Jesus christ it takes you 3 months to put a damn tower up? No no, I could do that in 2 weeks myself, and I have pretty poor construction skills. Along with that, it costs an absolute fortune. 10k denars for a friggen mill? How the **** are the Netherlands not bankrupt yet...

Anyways, three suggestions.

1) Reduce the time to build stuff.*

2) Reduce the cost.*

*Engineer skill will emphasize these even more.

3) Add more buildings. Especially to cities and castles.

A few I can think of off the top of my head...
-Drill yard trains soldiers every two nights.
-Armoury stops soldiers running out of ammo in sieges.
-Chapel/Or other religious buildings giving a morale bonus to troops in the settlement.
-Farmland increase income and stops population becoming hungry.
-Merchants quarter reduces price for items in the city.

This really bugged me since original MnB. You spend a crapload of money and time to gain absolutely useless upgrades. And I support more options.

-Drill yard trains soldiers every two nights. (and maybe allowing you to do sparring like on training grounds)
-Chapel/Or other religious buildings giving a morale bonus to troops in the settlement.

- Blacksmith workshop - farmers (or part of them) become 1st tier troops when village is under attack.
- Well - morale boost for castles.
- Manhunters guild - ability to recruit manhunters + city spawn bountyhunter parties from time to time.
- Militia quarters - city spawns small (20 max) parties of 2nd tier militia who patrol around the city and nearby lands. 2-3 parties max.
- Mercenary guild - doubles the amount of recruitable mercs in the tavern. 1.5 to the amount of troops in caravans leavin the city. Maybe the ability to recruit folks in the city.

While the suggestions are good, I think the main thing would be to make the current options more attractive. Most of the buildings would be useful mostly at the earlier stages of the game, exactly when you can't afford and don't have the time to build them; by the time your manor could be built you would be very likely to have at least one castle , making it unnecessary. And who would spend thousands and wait months for a measly one time 5% prosperity increase from a mill? (Might be remembering wrong).

So my suggestion would be to both lower the build time, and try make at least some of the buildings attractive right away, rather than a gradual thing that takes months of waiting to make a difference. New buildings would definitely be nice, as well :wink:

I would also like more options to nurture my village. I am probably one of the few players who wants to take care of his first village, but the lack of options made me sad.

However, when thinking of suggestions, it is important to keep in mind that a village is never meant to withstand the full assault of an army. It makes sense that a village cannot be as strong as a castle.

So probably only improvements that relate to the economy of the village is feasible.
Improvements that relate to the military aspect should only be limited to handling bandits, and not too strong to hold off entire armies.

See I totally understand that a village is not supposed to hold off hordes of enemy armies. So why can I only build two buildings in a castle and city, but upgrade my village to do the same stuff? Either make it less time or less expensive.

It's my first post on this forum so hello to everyone.

I always wondered if there's a way to make it possible to "see" the upgrades you make in your villages and towns/castles. For example if you build Watch Tower, I think it would be really good idea to add that building into village map when it's finished and maybe add more villagers that patrol area or something  :grin: Also adding more buildings possible to build in village management menu (like horse breeder, palisade or something) would be nice too.

Cheers.

To improve this, you can either decrease cost and time, or increase effectivity.
But I think the castles and towns need more buildings, they only have 2, while the villages have about 5-8 buildings.

I'm kinda dispointed why they didn't do it least the number 3 with all the very cool buildings...

or That they least didnt add one of these things...

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
This really bugged me since original MnB. You spend a crapload of money and time to gain absolutely useless upgrades. And I support more options.

-Drill yard trains soldiers every two nights. (and maybe allowing you to do sparring like on training grounds)

- Blacksmith workshop - farmers (or part of them) become 1st tier troops when village is under attack.
- Well - morale boost for castles.
- Manhunters guild - ability to recruit manhunters + city spawn bountyhunter parties from time to time.
- Militia quarters - city spawns small (20 max) parties of 2nd tier militia who patrol around the city and nearby lands. 2-3 parties max.
- Mercenary guild - doubles the amount of recruitable mercs in the tavern. 1.5 to the amount of troops in caravans leavin the city. Maybe the ability to recruit folks in the city.

least thing I can hope is if a modder will do execly this because that would be awesome

Raineon said:
It's my first post on this forum so hello to everyone.

I always wondered if there's a way to make it possible to "see" the upgrades you make in your villages and towns/castles. For example if you build Watch Tower, I think it would be really good idea to add that building into village map when it's finished and maybe add more villagers that patrol area or something  :grin: Also adding more buildings possible to build in village management menu (like horse breeder, palisade or something) would be nice too.

Cheers.

Hello Raineon, welcome to these forums. :smile: I imagine there might be a way to make it possible (there are afterall mods that allow you to build cities from scratch) but I haven't seen things like this implemented yet. Mainly because I imagine this would require an inordinate amount of scenes to be made. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I know **** all about modding)
For example; you have one village and six building possibilities. You'd need this amount of scenes:

1 scene for a blank village.
1 scene per first-constructed building in the village. That's 6 new scenes.
Then 5 more per second building. 5 new scenes, but also one scene per different possibility which would be, what, 30 scenes for only two buildings?
And so on really, I imagine you'd need only one scene for when you have all and one scene for when you have none but there'd be hundreds of scenes necessary for everything in between per village.. Couple that with a total of, say, a hundred villages. :razz:

Although our resident modders tend to be mad, no-one has proven to be quite that mad yet.  :razz:

And then I haven't even included towns and castles yet!  :shock:

@AWdeV

Well, you got a point here :razz: Then maybe upgrades should be seen only after all of them are finished? It would require one scene for when you have all and one scene when you have none per village, so it would "just" double the amount of scenes for villages, instead of making thousands more :grin: and still make game look better :razz:

Cheers

ALL of the above my friend. Kekekeke, by the way, Native Expansion has all that is suggested, but I would really appreciate if you devs didn't just brush off this suggestion at that statement because your working on a system to make the old mods work with Warband. Why? Because Native is what all players are initially introduced to and you need it to be the bar for mod-makers.

Native expansion has 177(or 77, can't remember), improvements and add-ons for Native, making it a mod in itself.
What I ask at least is that you take some of their ideas,(with their permission if required) and make them part of Native, especially things like the siege pack, but you can do that yourself.

Raineon said:
@AWdeV

Well, you got a point here :razz: Then maybe upgrades should be seen only after all of them are finished? It would require one scene for when you have all and one scene when you have none per village, so it would "just" double the amount of scenes for villages, instead of making thousands more :grin: and still make game look better :razz:

Cheers

That might work, but you might give the general populace of your village a collective heartattack. One moment it's a silly little village and the other it's BAM! A huge metropolis! :razz:

It strikes me as workable though. :razz: Perhaps even have buildings appear if you've completed a specific set. Mill + watchtower = both show up, mill + mansion = neither show up. It's not perfect, but it's a bit better to what it is now. :razz:

I think AWdeV hit a good point - it would be nice to see actual improvements on the village and city models when you build upgrades (if you build a manor, the manor appears in the village, etc). It's a minor thing (not in terms of coding, of course), but it does add a certain psychological oomph when you actually see the real, finished product.

More defensive upgrades would be nice. What about building a wall around the village? Or adding boiling oil pots to the city walls? How about adding moats to hinder siege equipment construction (increase time to build siege engines)?

And cities definitely need more upgrades. Some of the cities feel more like glorified towns, and that wasn't the case at all, even in the Dark Ages. More upgrade options (even upgrade paths, like pushing a city towards a more citadel or economic model) would fix this.

Just a couple of ideas.

Why couldnt you take a previous scene, and add in each building, i.e. dont completely remake each scene, just add a building to it, still have to do some work, but not as much as completely redoing each scene.  Also make it progressive building, i.e. build a messanger post, then you can build a watch tower, build a mill, then you can build a manor, making it like that(or in a similar way) would reduce number af scenes needed.

Or possibly add a new scene in for each (or grouped) improvements, then you could just add them to the village without making a thousand different scenes. i.e. instead of clicking go to town center, click goto manor, which could have a mill, and a manor.  and also more interactions in castles or towns would be nice, actually being able to goto your private quarters etc.

It seems the correct way for the developers to do it would simply be having only one scene, and a bunch of "spawn points" for each improvement building stored somewhere in the game data; so the engine would just dynamically add the corresponding buildings at their respective locations if built, when loading the scene.

That could be done, but what is the use of seeing them?
We should have a poll, how many players actually walk for at least 4 minutes inside their village. Purely for fun, not to get to the village elder or so.
I would take 1 look at the building, ride around it, and never go there again.

i would like to see more active citys,villages.
an example that there are many buildings in citys,villages or even some in castles. whose have its doors (not even locked) all are just nothing. if kind of new quests added to citys,villages. and let some changes happen in this places.

(an other example is put some guild buildings like fighters guild or any other which have its own story and quests)

IT WOULD BE EPIC :cool:

Back
Top Bottom