Sturgian Horse Raiders - Jav Nerf

Users who are viewing this thread

Tommy121

Recruit
I only discovered how powerful this Cav unit was recently. With 2 stacks of Javs each, a group of 30 of them would rip into an army and knock out enemy archery unit as a priority for some reason (think AI archery advances infront of infantry). Unfortunately, looks like they got a Spear and lost one stack of Javs, making them a bit dicey to use as they will suicide after using their only stack. Pity :sad:

If anyone could provide some advice on using normal Cav (spear / sword). I find them frustrating to use as I cant target enemy archery units, they need to micromanaged quite a bit otherwise they get bogged down. Hence always finding myself leaning towards Mounted Archers or Skirmish Cav which is a shame.

Melee cav require more micromanagement. Skirmish cav are kind of a set and forget thing, although I wish we had commands to tell them to go somewhere after they have used their ammunition, or else you have them charging in piecemeal. I find that to use melee cav best you have to tell them to move where you want them to charge and then right before they reach it tell them to charge, otherwise they might split off chasing routed units or attack archers when you want them to go through the archers and into the backs of the infantry. They only really seem to be great at routing units with a charge or chasing down ones already routing. Hopefully in the future we'll get different types of commands to be more specific with what we want units to do. The ability to queue commands would be nice too.

I only discovered how powerful this Cav unit was recently. With 2 stacks of Javs each, a group of 30 of them would rip into an army and knock out enemy archery unit as a priority for some reason (think AI archery advances infront of infantry). Unfortunately, looks like they got a Spear and lost one stack of Javs, making them a bit dicey to use as they will suicide after using their only stack. Pity :sad:

If anyone could provide some advice on using normal Cav (spear / sword). I find them frustrating to use as I cant target enemy archery units, they need to micromanaged quite a bit otherwise they get bogged down. Hence always finding myself leaning towards Mounted Archers or Skirmish Cav which is a shame.

You can add them back in by editing the spnpccharacter file.

Sorry Cav is bad and just barely hit anything with it's melee weapons. They need a big change before they're useful.

Haven't seen what you're talking about. Perhaps their polearm and riding level isn't high enough?

In your favorite hosts voice:

The Winged Hussars comes riding down the pikewall. They smash easily into the infantry. The right flank of the infantry shifts to the middle to cover the gap. Then, in the background you can see pikemen fleeing in panic. Everyone is OP until the Winged Hussars arrive.

The Winged Hussars comes riding down the pikewall. They smash easily into the infantry. The right flank of the infantry shifts to the middle to cover the gap. Then, in the background you can see pikemen fleeing in panic. Everyone is OP until the Winged Hussars arrive.
And as you can see, these guys don't miss their mark.

It is difficult to tell if they are actually killing anything as opposed to running them over or brushing them out of the way without a killfeed and numbers on both sides. Give me a few hours, and I'll put up a video showing how often cav miss with every thrusting weapon.

Also, Polearm and Riding skills do nothing to impact their aim. You can crank both up to 300 if you like, they don't get any more accurate. Although they do get much faster in the case of the Riding skill.

You'll see it if you play the native single player campaign on hardest settings and build your own forces and use them in an actual battle.
You won't have hundreds of Cav, you'll have like 12 and they'll get slaughtered.
So grinding is still worthless everywhere. That really sucks.

It is difficult to tell if they are actually killing anything as opposed to running them over or brushing them out of the way without a killfeed and numbers on both sides. Give me a few hours, and I'll put up a video showing how often cav miss with every thrusting weapon.

Also, Polearm and Riding skills do nothing to impact their aim. You can crank both up to 300 if you like, they don't get any more accurate. Although they do get much faster in the case of the Riding skill.
I can confirm that it helps with couch lance being more stable, but thats it. But i think i found out why cavs miss so much and also why infantry miss cavs so much. The devs may have overlooked some basic parameter settings. I will contact them once i have a video based on my assumptions.

So grinding is still worthless everywhere. That really sucks.
I don't know what you mean. Grinding has nothing to do with cavalry sucking. Horse archers are much better and worth buying warhorses to upgrade. Cav isn't, you can use free ones from prisoners but I wouldn't put time and denars into raising them, they just die too easily. A basic t2 archer would do more damage before it died then a t4 cav.

Yup, this confirms my thoughts. Just not worth investing into Heavy Cav atm. Better off having skirmish Cav and they can also clean up routing units too.

Have you tried again, now that they've made skills actually matter in the latest patch?

Back
Top Bottom