Statement Regarding Plans For MP

Users who are viewing this thread

How does doing those actions make you feel in game?

Like I’m cheating. Picking up a shield has a smaller effect, and I think archers should be able to access one somehow anyway, but mounting a horse as a non-cav has massive balance implications. what if heavy infantry find a stray horse? suddenly you have another heavy cavalry on the battlefield - how can you balance the pricing if a 140 cost unit can turn into a 190 cost heavy cavalry just by finding a horse? they don’t even need to find a lance, since some cavalry don’t have one anyway and some spears are quite long.

the biggest problem is horses for this system, not infantry finding bows or crossbows. anyone being able to get on a horse means that the pricing is thrown out of the window and balancing is far more difficult.

Please can you guys make it so we can reload arbalest on horseback? I feel like vlandian xbow is lacking in-game tactics compared to other archers

Crossbowmen have different strengths in some regards, but I think overall they are pretty well balanced now. Making Arbalests loadable on horseback, would just add another unnecessary unrealistic feature.

Like I’m cheating. Picking up a shield has a smaller effect, and I think archers should be able to access one somehow anyway, but mounting a horse as a non-cav has massive balance implications. what if heavy infantry find a stray horse? suddenly you have another heavy cavalry on the battlefield - how can you balance the pricing if a 140 cost unit can turn into a 190 cost heavy cavalry just by finding a horse? they don’t even need to find a lance, since some cavalry don’t have one anyway and some spears are quite long.

the biggest problem is horses for this system, not infantry finding bows or crossbows. anyone being able to get on a horse means that the pricing is thrown out of the window and balancing is far more difficult.
it wouldnt be such a big problem if horses are actually killable

Crossbowmen have different strengths in some regards, but I think overall they are pretty well balanced now. Making Arbalests loadable on horseback, would just add another unnecessary unrealistic feature.
xbows are far too strong still

Stray horses are valuable, they are there for everyone's taking, just like weapons on the ground.

yes, but we have been asking for cav balance for almost a year. i doubt we will see any meaningful fixes for it.
As I said earlier in a post, MP changes are just beginning.
Expecting to have some Cav mechanics changes go live soon.

I'd be fine with everyone beeing able to use horses if non-cavalry troops were noticeably worse at using horses (less max speed, acceleration, maneuverability) - that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment though.

Currently, if you die as a, for example, a heavy cav, you can just respawn as a peasant, go back, pick up your spear/lance and horse and go right back to doing just as well as with the actual class.

Stray horses are valuable, they are there for everyone's taking, just like weapons on the ground.

does this mean we will get the first fixes this week? (monday or whenever the next patch goes live)

I'd be fine with everyone beeing able to use horses if non-cavalry troops were noticeably worse at using horses (less max speed, acceleration, maneuverability) - that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment though.

Currently, if you die as a, for example, a heavy cav, you can just respawn as a peasant, go back, pick up your spear/lance and horse and go right back to doing just as well as with the actual class.
the peasant is useless for everything else anyways

Yes, this is the problem.

Why? The only advantage I see when picking up a horse as non cav, is shooting arrows from horseback, but even that is pretty useless. You can way better hide and go into corners on foot, which is very important for archers, in every game mode except for captain mode and your crosshair gets very inaccurate when riding, which only doesent matter in captain mode or siege.

does this mean we will get the first fixes this week? (monday or whenever the next patch goes live)

the peasant is useless for everything else anyways
Not this patch, hopefully the next one but they are still being tested so I can't say for sure.

I trust that we will see changes that will ultimately benefit the game's state more than now, but still you choose to not listen to the community regarding classes. Its almost unanimous by now that nobody likes the class system. Even new players who make new forum accounts continuously state that they dislike the system. There are so many amazing armors and weapons in the single player that are free content to use and we have only a small variety for multiplayer. There are some fundamentally wrong decisions like the lack of locational armor/damage modifiers, a very big alienation on movement speed across classes and at the same time, the RPG feel of the game goes off the window because everybody can ride horses, use weapons that should not be usable by a class. Regarding your ''unexpected scenarios'' comment, it happens once in 100 matches. Nobody cares that peasants can pick up crossbows. Nobody really dreams of picking up things as a peasant and get kills. It's a mandatory choice when you lack gold and the only thing I feel when I have to play a peasant class is dissapointment. I do not understand why you try to force a broken vision to the game when it clearly does not compliment it and nobody likes it.

Another aspect that is totally lost, is the roleplaying aspect of customization. I cannot be who I want to be with my character and create a persona but I have to be just like everyone else. This is not likeable by players who play multiplayer games. I understand there are people who like the class system but they are like what, 20% of the total community? And even 20% sounds like a stretch.

With the upcoming 1 life mode, the class system does not work at all. And it clearly does not work in anything else other than captain. I do not talk about balance here, I talk about the limits and restrictions. Even if you perfect balance, the game will suffer continuously due to the class system. 2 perks and clone wars is a laughable design. I do not know of any single game that made multiplayer with such restrictive classes and survived. War of the roses/vikings tried to do the same but with more distinct classes than Bannerlord and added customization and the game still failed. Warband has been going for a decade now and people organized tournaments and still played casually every day. Bannerlord's population is already suffering to an extreme.

I am sorry to say this but if the class system does get a MAJOR overhaul or total removal in favour of gearing system like in CSGO/Warband, people will jump in at the time of big patches, check the changes and leave again. Because the very base of the system is not fun, no matter what you do to finetune it. It's just not fun.

I disagree, it is Skirmish, which practically can allow for up to 24 cavalry spawns in one round (if everyone has 2 spawns as a cavalry). Stray horses are not rare at all and if you spawn as heavy infantry, you are almost certain to get one at some point in the round. If every class has the option to mount a horse, it creates a significant imbalance.

If it had been a 1 life gamemode, it probably wouldn't have been so impactful since stray horses would indeed be rare and you'd often be in risk while mounting it. In Skirmish? - The playstyle is different, people aren't that cautious, spawns are all around the map and you more often than not have the option to become inf-cav in every round.

I disagree, it is Skirmish, which practically can allow for up to 24 cavalry spawns in one round (if everyone has 2 spawns as a cavalry). Stray horses are not rare at all and if you spawn as heavy infantry, you are almost certain to get one at some point in the round. If every class has the option to mount a horse, it creates a significant imbalance.

Why imbalance? Who gets an advantage from mounting a horse in Skirmish?

Why? The only advantage I see when picking up a horse as non cav, is shooting arrows from horseback, but even that is pretty useless. You can way better hide and go into corners on foot, which is very important for archers, in every game mode except for captain mode and your crosshair gets very inaccurate when riding, which only doesent matter in captain mode or siege.

Getting on a horse allows you to escape danger, to help in fights you would be unable to get to in time, to force kills you couldn't before (by knocking down or bumpslashing, even couching if you also picked up a lance), to capture flags, to completely reposition. Not to mention it's just straight up better in a fight. A cavalry completely changes the dynamic of a fight and its utility is incomparable to every other class, including archers.

Getting on a horse allows you to escape danger, to help in fights you would be unable to get to in time, to force kills you couldn't before (by knocking down or bumpslashing, even couching if you also picked up a lance), to capture flags, to completely reposition. Not to mention it's just straight up better in a fight. A cavalry completely changes the dynamic of a fight and its utility is incomparable to every other class, including archers.

Mostly the fights in Skyrmish are very close. If you try to help your teammates, its a high chance that you hit him instead of the enemy. You also rarely find couchable lances and if you want to ride around with them, why not just choose cav in the first place? Yea, you can caputre flags more quickly, but so can the enemy team. Cavalry is not allways better in a fight, especially not in Skirmish. Yes it does change the dynamic and adds more interesting possibilities to win the game.

Mostly the fights in Skyrmish are very close. If you try to help your teammates, its a high chance that you hit him instead of the enemy. You also rarely find couchable lances and if you want to ride around with them, why not just choose cav in the first place? Yea, you can caputre flags more quickly, but so can the enemy team. Cavalry is not allways better in a fight, especially not in Skirmish. Yes it does change the dynamic and adds more interesting possibilities to win the game.

If a player is halfway competent with cav hitting the enemy is not a problem and it is always better in a fight, the exception being tight areas like stairs and what not. This is inarguable. That you can pick cav as a class is irrelevant, we're discussing giving everyone access to horses on the battlefield.

Thanks for answering the community questions. It's nice to hear that you work actively on MP right now and that we can expect changes very soon.

I don't mind picking stuff from the ground no matter your class since you can't drop anything at the start of the game. But the thing with everyone can ride horses with the same stats, it's a huge imbalance issue. The heavy cav cost is already very expensive, let's say he dies, an infantry which costs 100 mounts the heavy horse and still performs like the heavy cavalry class, this is not acceptable. I think you should add worse riding stats for non cavalry classes, they can still ride all horses but they are slower, less agile... .

If a player is halfway competent with cav hitting the enemy is not a problem and it is always better in a fight, the exception being tight areas like stairs and what not. This is inarguable. That you can pick cav as a class is irrelevant, we're discussing giving everyone access to horses on the battlefield.

It is very easy to step aside and make the cav miss the hit. It is very common for players who are dueling, to run around each other, that makes it very dificult to hit the enemy and not your teammate, Ive seen this situation many times. And cav "allways beeing better" isn't only not inarguable, even more, its not true at all. And how is mentioning the possibility to choose cav right from the beginning irrelevant? It makes mounting a horse as an other class way less appealing.

It is very easy to step aside and make the cav miss the hit. It is very common for players who are dueling, to run around each other, that makes it very dificult to hit the enemy and not your teammate, Ive seen this situation many times. And cav "allways beeing better" isn't only not inarguable, even more, its not true at all. And how is mentioning the possibility to choose cav right from the beginning irrelevant? It makes mounting a horse as an other class way less appealing.
maybe if you are less experienced...

Back
Top Bottom