"...sold over a million copies in less than 7hours..." is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd note that they "grossed" 60M rather than "made" 60M. This thing had an incredibly long predevelopment cycle, it wouldn't surprise me if they still weren't anywhere near the black.

To be fair the Turkish government subsidized the company through part of its development.

I think we need an offical/clear/great modding capacity for common use. Its good for modders(tryna make something idividually rn) and players(WHO will also enjoy so much with modes), but also for game's promotion @EA. Game's sales will effected positively after offical modding/great modes..

I think we need an offical/clear/great modding capacity for common use. Its good for modders(tryna make something idividually rn) and players(WHO will also enjoy so much with modes), but also for game's promotion @EA. Game's sales will effected positively after offical modding/great modes..
In the long run, absolutely. Right now, e need to wait until the version hardens before modding is really feasible. They're issuing sometimes multiple patches a day right now.

There are formulas to calculate the sales quite accurate, but its been some years since i bothered.
Iirr there was a median of 80 sold gams for each given review.
Take it with a grain of salt, but i wildly guess roughly 3 million sold copies should have happened considering the 40.000 reviews on steam.
So even with local pricing and steamcuts the early access release is most likely a huge success.
I think we don't have to fear for the financial stability of Taleworlds.

Just a shame they couldn't have waited until a more stable version was released. The number of new players that are getting the Bannerlord experience and not the Warband experience is kind of cringe inducing for me. That really was such a great game.

With some napkin math, they must've made some $60M in three days, at the lowest.
no, just no, even if they sold 2 million by now JUST on Steam, that would be 2M x lets say 45$ as a lot of people have 20% off so thats 90M, Steam takes 30% off until the first 10M so thats 3M, than from 10M to 50M its 25 so 10M, and than its 20% so 8M, Steam would have made 21M, and Taleworlds took 79M, thats actually mad, imagine the sales from other sites as well, at least 100M I would say Taleworlds took, deservadly as im sure they had bare loans so, also lets hope they just keep going up without turning into EA or Activision

I hope they don't have to stop development. I tried to make my estimate as 'pessimistic' as possible, that is the lowest price achievable with the lowest amount of sales and with Steam's price cut. They have likely earned some more.
Edit: And if I were to bet we'll probably start seeing dlc like Viking Conquest and NW not too far in the future (a couple years), which will be another important revenue stream for them.
yeah, but if they did do NW and VC that would just put coal into the fire of those saying Bannerlord is basically a warband reskin, they will probs set for different timelines, I personally would love to see maybe 15/16 hundreds, and maybe a fall of Rome timeline into factions which didnt actually form, so like fall of Rome but into factions like France, Spain, Bavaria, Italy etc

Just a shame they couldn't have waited until a more stable version was released. The number of new players that are getting the Bannerlord experience and not the Warband experience is kind of cringe inducing for me. That really was such a great game.
yeah, the game is just in a poor state, however as they now received hundreds if not thousands of reports I would say Early Access is going to bring full release closer as problems get noticed quicker, additionaly I think financial problems were getting in

I only know my own experience... Always liked the way Warband looked in adverts, never picked it up. When I saw that Bannerlords was on EA in steam, at a reduced price, I thought... "Why not? I'm stuck indoors without much to do anyway." Perhaps the currently situation has a lot to do with the runaway sales. Just a thought :wink:

I only know my own experience... Always liked the way Warband looked in adverts, never picked it up. When I saw that Bannerlords was on EA in steam, at a reduced price, I thought... "Why not? I'm stuck indoors without much to do anyway." Perhaps the currently situation has a lot to do with the runaway sales. Just a thought :wink:
it was their plan, announce the date for EA, than release the virus to put everyone indoors to make absolute bank, conspiracy theory

Warband was insanely popular for an indie game, with the bank they make on Bannerlord i would not be surprised if TW moves into AAA category.

I'm a bit shocked, I never thought M&B had SUCH a following. I mean, the forums were lively as hell 4 years after release when we were working on Europe 1200, but back then I thought it was like that with any games. The Civs and the Paradox titles surely have big following, but have they ever had that many concurrent players?

Warband was insanely popular for an indie game, with the bank they make on Bannerlord i would not be surprised if TW moves into AAA category.

I doubt the AAA thing, that is alot bigger than many people think.
But they could be at a point where Paradox was when they had the success with CK2.
That was their breakthrough from kind of a bigger indiepublsiher/dev to at least AA+
In my opintion AAA becomes a whore for the filth of the world (shareholders) too easy, so AA+ would be a blast.

I'm a bit shocked, I never thought M&B had SUCH a following. I mean, the forums were lively as hell 4 years after release when we were working on Europe 1200, but back then I thought it was like that with any games. The Civs and the Paradox titles surely have big following, but have they ever had that many concurrent players?

Being around since quite some years, albeit really active mostly in the days of M&B before Warband, i wonder about those immense numbers too.
I don't think the M&B crowd was ever that huge even at its peaktimes.
I think this is a byproduct of endless release meme machine Bannerlord has become during the last years.
It has not only downsides when the name of your game is roaming around for so many years, and be it in bitter jokes which one will happen first
1.Star Citizen
2.Bannerlord
3.Judgement Day

And the profit after publishing(etc)costs from each copy = $10
Let's assume that everyone buys it at $40 (even though some buys at $45). Steam takes 30% I think?
That leaves $28 going to Taleworlds. They are self-publishing so no paradox to take part of the cake.

Assuming ONLY 1 million copies, which I think is low (i think closer to 2mil) then they have made 28 million dollars.

TW had around 100 employees in 2016, but it might have gone up since then, and for sure its gone up since they started development, so lets just go with 100 employees. Let's go with the turkish average salary of 19,700TRY ($3,051).

Let's also just count from after VC release which was end of 2014. So lets go with 66 months.

So, 102 employees for 66 months at $3,051 per month is $20,539,332 in salaries. Then there are rent for offices, purchasing costs for equipment, resources, musicians etc etc etc.

Let's assume that everyone buys it at $40 (even though some buys at $45). Steam takes 30% I think?
That leaves $28 going to Taleworlds. They are self-publishing so no paradox to take part of the cake.

Assuming ONLY 1 million copies, which I think is low (i think closer to 2mil) then they have made 28 million dollars.

TW had around 100 employees in 2016, but it might have gone up since then, and for sure its gone up since they started development, so lets just go with 100 employees. Let's go with the turkish average salary of 19,700TRY ($3,051).

Let's also just count from after VC release which was end of 2014. So lets go with 66 months.

So, 102 employees for 66 months at $3,051 per month is $20,539,332 in salaries. Then there are rent for offices, purchasing costs for equipment, resources, musicians etc etc etc.

That's not a Turkish average salary and it took an investment of 2 million euros according to an older interview with Armagan to make Bannerlord. Steam also lowers their tax with more copies sold. You also have to take into consideration regions, in Turkey you can buy the game for 16 euros, in Russia about the same.

Back
Top Bottom