Skiping the Warband intro

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sure you are all familiar with the intro scene you have to go through whenever starting a new game. You get into a fight in the streets, kill the guy and talk to a merchant and so on.

Is there a way i can make this just go away? Skip it and get straight to the map when starting a new game.

When player clicks on a "Start game" option, the following process happens:

1. Warband proceeds to menu item "start_game_0". This behavior is hardcoded.
2. Module code asks player a number of questions to generate player's character biography and starting stats.
3. Module code opens character screen for player for the first time.
4. When character screen is opened for the first time, Warband forces the player to generate his character, distributing the points and generating a face. This behavior is hardcoded.
5. After character generation is complete, Warband automatically proceeds to menu item "start_phase_2". Again, this behavior is hardcoded.
6. Module code then asks player where he wishes to start the game, teleports him to appropriate town and starts the tutorial quest.

So essentially, if you want to get rid of the tutorial quest, find "start_phase_2" menu in the module_game_menus.py and trace the code from there. By that time player's character is already created and finalized, so you just need to remove the starting mission and simply drop player's party in the vicinity of whatever town he chooses. Or do something else depending on your mod's needs.

It will take you to start_phase_2.5 (or something like).

So you have a choice of keeping the start choices and modifying start phase 2.5. Or getting rid of the starting choices and have the player spawn around party.. Straight to the map.

I appreciate you're trying to help but i must sadly inform you that i still have no idea at all what it is you expect me to do exactly.
I found a "menus.txt" file and in it found "start_phase_2" and "start_phase_2_5" and have no idea what to make of that.
But what is this "menus.py" that you speak of?

That's the Module System (MS for short) It is the more appropriate way to mod the game as text file editing can be tedious and confusing in machine language of numbers. The MS is read in English and python compiles it into text files the game reads.

Back
Top Bottom