Sergeant or Serjeant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon

Grandmaster Knight
A few days ago, I was talking with a regiment buddy of mine, about whether the historical name of the 18th century for the (current) 'Sergeant' rank, is Sergeant or Serjeant. Can someone enlighten me? :razz:

Maroon said:
A few days ago, I was talking with a regiment buddy of mine, about whether the historical name of the 18th century for the (current) 'Sergeant' rank, is Sergeant or Serjeant. Can someone enlighten me? :razz:

Talkin' about the Brits are we?

Then it was Serjeant c:. Atleast what I know x).

Sergeant is the Arcaic English form, used in the 18th - 17th century . Sergeant ( or sargeant in american) is more modern and widely used.

DanyEle said:
sargeant in american

I have never heard or seen anyone in the United States spell Serjeant like that. (And yes, I spell Sergeant as Serjeant by habit now, and people wonder why.)

TheBoberton said:
DanyEle said:
sargeant in american

I have never heard or seen anyone in the United States spell Serjeant like that. (And yes, I spell Sergeant as Serjeant by habit now, and people wonder why.)

I've actually seen Sargeant written down a couple of time by some Americans probably for that's the way of saying it.

DanyEle said:
I've actually seen Sargeant written down by some Americans probably for that's the way of saying it.

Well, having lived in the US since the day I was born, I can assure you that I've never seen it. And those who may do it more likely do it because of the fact that they have no idea how it's actually spelled, and just give it their best guess. Thus it can't be stated that it's an American thing, because misspelling words can happen to anyone.

McEwanMaster77 said:
DanyEle said:
Then we just figured out where the future Sargeant will come from  :smile: ( mispelling!)
Might be a silly suggestion, but you might be confusing the spelling with how people say "Sarge" as a nickname, which happens a lot in the US.

That's it! I thought it stood for Sergeant or Sargeant.

DanyEle said:
Sergeant is the Arcaic English form, used in the 18th - 17th century . Sergeant ( or sargeant in american) is more modern and widely used.

Well, the old English spell of it was Serjeant, the reason for the spelling is because the English language is based off how things sound. So when you say Serjeant it sounds like a 'j' rather than a 'g', however the Americas adopted the 'g' because they wanted to be different and distance themselves from the British Empire

The british army used to use Serjeant instead of Sergeant.

I honestly think Serjeant looks alot better.

(I spent a few minutes looking at that word and now I just see Ser Jeant -_-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom