Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

I want to create my own scene but it is confusing.  Is there an easy way to generate a blank scene with background of my choosing? 

I know it is easy to load up an already made scene, and edit it, but I want to start from scratch.  o_O

Nimueh said:
I want to create my own scene but it is confusing.  Is there an easy way to generate a blank scene with background of my choosing? 
The steps listed in the first post are about as simple as it gets - to do it properly, without ending up with a broken partially made scene which must be redone.

Thanks, I guess getting the first step figured out is half the battle.  lol

So open up world map as in, single player campaign?

Someone told me you need to edits the scenes code to let it know, Prop A means serf for faction 1, ect...

Is this true?

Nimueh said:
So open up world map as in, single player campaign?
Yes, with edit mode enabled.
Nimueh said:
Someone told me you need to edits the scenes code to let it know, Prop A means serf for faction 1, ect...
If by "scene code" you mean terrain code, no: it only affects the shape and visual style of the base terrain, not any scene props placed in the editor.

So you assign props to factions using the scene editor, not a text editor or notepad? 

Sorry just trying to wrap my mind around this. 

Nimueh said:
So you assign props to factions using the scene editor, not a text editor or notepad? 
Yes. For a more entry level guide on how to start scene making, see the player made guide linked at the very bottom of the first post: but note that it contains incorrect or outdated information and things I disagree with, like skipping the terrain code generation steps (could be a problem later, as you can only do most of it before editing terrain or placing props).

ok so i got into terrain editor finally, i'll take a look at that guide.  I'm starting to get it, thanks vornn.

Using this generator http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/
I'm stuck to 1000X1000 map. Can someone find me the guide back to make larger map ? What the maximum stable size for PW mod ?
Does having a large sea will cause lag ?

Aldric said:
I'm stuck to 1000X1000 map. Can someone find me the guide back to make larger map ? What the maximum stable size for PW mod ?

Think of "polygon size" as a multiplier for the x/y scale. The largest possible size (poly 5 and 1kx1k) is ridiculously huge, far more than you'll need for any reasonably sized PW map.

No, sea doesn't cause lag unless the player has "Fast Water Reflections" off.

Aldric said:
If you are having to type in the size numbers, it is because you aren't using a browser not fully supported: Swyter has seemed to write web pages targeted at the webkit engine (Chrome, Safari), that don't necessarily work well on other browsers. To get the absolute maximum size possible, follow the instructions in the first post.
Aldric said:
Sea will certainly not cause server lag, but if you place many ships in the scene because of it, there might be an indirect effect. Disabling fast water reflections should only be done by people with very good systems that want full eye candy, at their own risk, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, by the way another question

http://www.mediafire.com/?ll2ogj55dgdz1ow

scn_scene_7 scene_7 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 300.000000 300.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000330000500000d23480000321e0000734300002863
outer_terrain_pw_1

i have a bug, people reported me that this map make non-steam version crash. Could you help ?

Somebody help!  :smile: Where can I found some kind of description for pw_scene_cloud_haze prop?
Strange things occurs with its vars 1 and 2.

var 1: 0 - sun, 50 - clouds, 100 - rain - its almost ok

But i need to set haze in scene and values of var. 2 is more strange: 0-90 - absolutely clear atmosphere, 91 - haze on a distance of about 50 meters, 92,93-100 distance of visibility reduces from 50 to 20 meters. 101-125- nothing changes. What all this means? What a strange distribution of values​​?

My scene need visibility about 200-300 meters, but there is no way to set such amounts of haze. May be i need some things to understand? Who can say what exactly?

In general, it would be good to have a base with a description of non-obvious props

Haze is highly restricted, and the three levels you spoke of are all you can do, from what I've experienced. So pick one that suits your map the most.

NOVICIUS said:
mapmaking suggestions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_CkKjB_0U&list=PLCDF575D0DC82FA68 sry I could not stop myself to post it
647ee228_banhammer.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom