Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,

Recently I have started to make a new scene but I'm not pleased with the skybox lighting at all. I wanted it to fall from a different angle, so that the building shadows won't cover all the main alleys of the town, yet I can't find any reasonable solution. My first attempt was to play around with pw_scene_daytime(?), but I found out that no matter what values I introduced in Var1 I got only 4 "sun positions", which are dawn, afternoon, dusk and night. Lately, I tried to understand what does pw_scene_light, but it didn't work out too (note that I checked the information via F2 key.) Do I have any solution here ?

The Bowman said:
Recently I have started to make a new scene but I'm not pleased with the skybox lighting at all. I wanted it to fall from a different angle, so that the building shadows won't cover all the main alleys of the town, yet I can't find any reasonable solution. My first attempt was to play around with pw_scene_daytime(?), but I found out that no matter what values I introduced in Var1 I got only 4 "sun positions", which are dawn, afternoon, dusk and night. Lately, I tried to understand what does pw_scene_light do, but it didn't work out too (note that I checked the information via F2 key.) Do I have any solution here ?
No, sorry: the 7 skybox and lighting options (can depend on the scene cloud value set with pw_scene_cloud_haze as well as the day time) are set when building the module system, and are only selectable when the scene is loading. About the only option I can think of would be to redo the scene from scratch with all props and terrain at a different angle - or maybe just select every single scene prop in your town at once and rotate them, then adjust the surrounding terrain to match.

I have notice that time between animal spawn is 1 hour (minimal). Just checking is that correct.
If I well understand with var2 = 1, I can expect first animal to spawn in 1 hour after server start.
also:
if I set var 2 = 2 - is that mean that animal will spawn in 2 hours?
I know that this are basic questions but I try to understand how this spawning system works.
Lets say I would like to have forrest with animals running around but appearing in random way. If I place 10 spawn points with var1=1 this would mean I will have 10 animals spawning at once. I would preffer if they would spawn every 10/20 min so I can set up 10 spawn points and set each one of them with delay.
I am not sure if you will understand what I meant here. I hope you will  :roll:

EDIT: after further testing I believe I got it:
Var2 set time from server start after animal spawn. Every spawn seams to spawn 1 animal. If animal is killed almost imiedietly another animal is spawn. I assume that if animal is not killed there would be second one spawned from the same spawn point after another hour.

Could you confirm just if I am right/wrong and in which point?

NOVICIUS said:
I have notice that time between animal spawn is 1 hour (minimal). Just checking is that correct.
If I well understand with var2 = 1, I can expect first animal to spawn in 1 hour after server start.
The time is approximate, a random number of minutes between the value plus and minus 20%, and then only one spawn point is checked every minute, so animals won't spawn all at once.
NOVICIUS said:
Var2 set time from server start after animal spawn. Every spawn seams to spawn 1 animal. If animal is killed almost imiedietly another animal is spawn. I assume that if animal is not killed there would be second one spawned from the same spawn point after another hour.
If the spawn point waiting time is passed but the server maximum animal count is reached, nothing will happen until killing an animal releases a free slot, when the spawn point will probably activate quite quickly.

Thanks for that.

BTW.Animals feature is brilliant. I love the fact that they quite lively after spawn. They will not stupidly group in one spot. I build corral around spawn point. Every deer just kick off and jump over the fence. Boer could not do that but had a little run before settle. Very realistic  :grin: ..and I can make realistic forest with animals placed randomly around.

I apologize if I'm simply repeating a question someone may have mentioned above,
but how do I set teleporting doors? How do I connect them? Thanks  :cool:

How to set up each type of PW scene prop is explained in the scene editing mode, in windows displayed when pressing F1 or F2.

Basically, just place two of the same type of door and the nearest ones will be linked; but if you use many doors that might overlap you should set the same unique number in the "Value 2" field of both door scene props.

Vornne said:
How to set up each type of PW scene prop is explained in the scene editing mode, in windows displayed when pressing F1 or F2.

Basically, just place two of the same type of door and the nearest ones will be linked; but if you use many doors that might overlap you should set the same unique number in the "Value 2" field of both door scene props.

alright I will try as you have said. In the meantime, could you explain what this means? Thanks
value 1 = faction (division sign) multiplier
value 2 = linking id with x

also, when you say "the same type of door" are you refering to the teleporting doors, or the physical doors? Just so that you know, I am trying to connect two teleporting doors from an outside castle keep to an interior. I hope this helps.

On a seperate note, how do I change the name of a castle as well as the name of the castle portrayed by a castle sign? Thanks for this also

kozakyespana said:
In the meantime, could you explain what this means? Thanks
value 1 = faction (division sign) multiplier
value 2 = linking id with x
It's actually faction + multiplier, and the meaning of the term is explained further down that page: it only applies to doors that should be part of a castle, locked by the owning faction.
kozakyespana said:
also, when you say "the same type of door" are you refering to the teleporting doors, or the physical doors?
Meaning the same scene prop type name in the list - you can't link a pw_door_teleport_inset_b to a pw_door_teleport_invisible, only two of the same type.
kozakyespana said:
On a seperate note, how do I change the name of a castle as well as the name of the castle portrayed by a castle sign? Thanks for this also
Explained in the F1 and F2 information windows:
F1 window said:
* Place at least one castle sign for every castle (or capturable area), so the stats chart and capture messages will use proper names.
F2 window said:
pw_castle_sign:
value 1 = faction / castle id
value 2 = number of the name, listed at the end of strings.txt (name can't be one used by another castle)
If the "faction / castle id" value is set to 0 or 1 (commoners or outlaws) it will not be linked to any castle to be used in messages, remaining only a simple sign post. If you set multiple different names for the same castle, the game will pick one (the lowest prop instance id).

Thanks for your help so far Vornne, but I should let you know that if I am asking you about something that I could find in F1 and F2 information, its because I read it before and was (admittedly) to technologically stupid to understand what it means and was asking you to put it in easier terms to understand...or to simply elaborate on a rather short and brief "explanation." Believe me, I would not waste your time otherwise when I could just read the F1 and F2 information (and understand it).

only the following helped me at all:
it only applies to doors that should be part of a castle, locked by the owning faction.

This also helped, but only somewhat.
If the "faction / castle id" value is set to 0 or 1 (commoners or outlaws) it will not be linked to any castle to be used in messages, remaining only a simple sign post. If you set multiple different names for the same castle, the game will pick one (the lowest prop instance id).
Its not helping me solve my problem, but it is helping me on the road to solving it.

As mentioned before, thanks again and thanks for your patience.

kozakyespana said:
was asking you to put it in easier terms to understand...or to simply elaborate on a rather short and brief "explanation."
OK, no worries, but it would be a bit easier for me if you had specified reading the short explanation and not understanding a specific part of it.

The "Value 1" and "Value 2" attached to every scene prop instance are limited to a 7 bit number (0 - 127) each, so there is a commonly used format for value 1 that compresses two types of information into the available space: the "tens column" represents the price multiplier, with 0 = 100%, 1 = 20%, 2 = 40% ... and so on as explained in the F2 window (but doors don't have a price, so it is not applicable in this case), and the "ones column" represents faction or castle number: 0 is used for commoners or "no faction", 1 for outlaws or "no faction", 2 for castle 1 (starts owned by faction 1, the red faction), 3 for castle 2 (starts owned by faction 2), continuing up to 9 for castle 8. So, if you just want a plain teleport door leave it at 0, but if you want to associate it with a castle (to be locked by the key holders of the owning faction) specify the castle number. If on the other hand you were setting the value 1 for a troop training station, you would use 31 for outlaws at 60% price (30 = 60% + 1 = outlaws) or 95 for castle 4 at 200% price (90 = 200% + 5 = castle 4).

The "Value 2" is used to explicitly stop the wrong doors being linked when the sets of positions overlap: if you had two doors close by on one side of the scene to be linked and another two on the other side, they would work fine when leaving the "linking id" at 0, but if you wanted to link two doors far away from each other and there could be other doors of the same type added in between later, you should set a unique linking id to force the script to select the door you wanted to target, rather than the lowest prop instance ids selecting the closest unlinked one until all are linked.

Vornne said:
kozakyespana said:
was asking you to put it in easier terms to understand...or to simply elaborate on a rather short and brief "explanation."
OK, no worries, but it would be a bit easier for me if you had specified reading the short explanation and not understanding a specific part of it.

The "Value 2" is used to explicitly stop the wrong doors being linked when the sets of positions overlap: if you had two doors close by on one side of the scene to be linked and another two on the other side, they would work fine when leaving the "linking id" at 0, but if you wanted to link two doors far away from each other and there could be other doors of the same type added in between later, you should set a unique linking id to force the script to select the door you wanted to target, rather than the lowest prop instance ids selecting the closest unlinked one until all are linked.

Okay, Im understanding this so far. My apologies for not mentioning my lack of skill earlier. What might help both of us is if you can put it as step by step instructions.

I have two teleport doors I want to link. One door is placed in front of the door of the keep of a castle and the other is placed inside the interior of a keep I've placed underneath.

What are the step by step  instructions to link both together?

btw, should I start a new thread for this to save space?

kozakyespana said:
I have two teleport doors I want to link. One door is placed in front of the door of the keep of a castle and the other is placed inside the interior of a keep I've placed underneath.
Either:
1. just test it on a dedicated server, if there aren't going to be any other doors nearby of the same type.
Or:
1. select a number from 1-127 that is not already being used to isolate nearby doors of the same type.
2. enter that number in the "Value 2" field of both teleport door props you are using.
3. test it on a dedicated server, ensuring that the doors are targetable (you can also check this in edit mode by trying to select them) - as explained in the first post, collision meshes of the surface the door is next to might not perfectly match the visual mesh, blocking the door if it is very close to the wall - and also checking that there are no linking errors in the dedicated server console, or alternatively in the edit scene mode after reloading your scene.
kozakyespana said:
No, it is appropriate for this thread.

The Bowman said:
As a curiosity, can you give me the full explanation of the spr_scene_light ?
It's basically the same as the native scene lights, except with more customization available to the scene maker rather than just the module builder: as the F2 information says, the three scale dimensions are used to adjust the color, and the value 1 & 2 adjust the flickering. Only 10 will work in a scene, so choose the locations wisely for maximum effect: probably one in each of the most important or popular interior areas, to add warmth and contrast.

Vornne said:
kozakyespana said:
Either:
1. just test it on a dedicated server, if there aren't going to be any other doors nearby of the same type.
Or:
1. select a number from 1-127 that is not already being used to isolate nearby doors of the same type.
2. enter that number in the "Value 2" field of both teleport door props you are using.
3. test it on a dedicated server, ensuring that the doors are targetable (you can also check this in edit mode by trying to select them) - as explained in the first post, collision meshes of the surface the door is next to might not perfectly match the visual mesh, blocking the door if it is very close to the wall - and also checking that there are no linking errors in the dedicated server console, or alternatively in the edit scene mode after reloading your scene.
kozakyespana said:
No, it is appropriate for this thread.

Okay thanks! I got it! :grin: I just have two more questions:

• why is it that at one time this works and another time it doesnt? (on a blank scene I linked two doors and when I did the same with two other doors, it didnt work)?
  • how do I link a castle to a faction (and class training places...name?...to factions)?

kozakyespana said:
  • why is it that at one time this works and another time it doesnt? (on a blank scene I linked two doors and when I did the same with two other doors, it didnt work)?
You must have done something wrong, because it works correctly every time with many doors, for me and the creators and players of many other scenes.
kozakyespana said:
  • how do I link a castle to a faction (and class training places...name?...to factions)?
Just like with the doors: the last digit of the "Value 1" number of that prop must be the same. For example, to set training stations, stockpiles, buying stations (so all of these send the tax percentage to the castle chest, which must also indicate the same castle in value 1), locked doors, item chests, signs, capture posts, and so on to for "castle 1" in the scene, all the props value 1s must end in 3 (the number for castle 1) possibly with other numbers in front if you want to adjust the item or training price; for the pw_ props associated with "castle 4" (starts owned by the default "Green Faction") the value 1s must end in 5, for "commoner" training stations or item crafting stockpiles, the value 1s must end in 0, and "outlaw" training stations must have a value 1 ending in 1, etc.

Vornne said:
kozakyespana said:
You must have done something wrong, because it works correctly every time with many doors, for me and the creators and players of many other scenes.
kozakyespana said:
Just like with the doors: the last digit of the "Value 1" number of that prop must be the same. For example, to set training stations, stockpiles, buying stations (so all of these send the tax percentage to the castle chest, which must also indicate the same castle in value 1), locked doors, item chests, signs, capture posts, and so on to for "castle 1" in the scene, all the props value 1s must end in 3 (the number for castle 1) possibly with other numbers in front if you want to adjust the item or training price; for the pw_ props associated with "castle 4" (starts owned by the default "Green Faction") the value 1s must end in 5, for "commoner" training stations or item crafting stockpiles, the value 1s must end in 0, and "outlaw" training stations must have a value 1 ending in 1, etc.

Congradulations Vornne, you can really teach! I finally figured it out with your help. Thanks again and also thanks for your patience.  :grin:
Believe me, I am very grateful.

Back
Top Bottom