Scale Reference Models M&B2

Users who are viewing this thread

Docm30 said:
The words 'easy' and 'Source' should never be used in the same sentence. It's the most backwards, obfuscated, hard-to-use engine there is.
Yeah that was a bad example, Source is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Though the question is which is harder to mod Source or M&B?

Probably Source. I am personally expecting something along the lines of Bethesda's creation kit. It can be very powerful, but also fairly simple to use.

I really hope not. Now, I've never used the "Creation Kit" but the Construction Set was always easy to use but not really capable of making significant changes to the game. That's basically the opposite to what they should do with M&B 2.

I hope we get something like the current module-system but with more access to the core game.

I can see what you are saying there, but I think that there should be one like the CK, but with a more advanced system similar to the current one for more advanced modders.

The thing I'm wondering if they are accutly gonna release any tools for modding. If you think about Taleworlds they haven't helped the modding scene that much. They only have the code pretty-much and the map editor, for getting basic stuff in we need a tool like open BRF. I hope they take some time and just release some nice tools and get input on the tools from the modders.

I am betting that OpenBrf is close if not better than what the devs are using to import their models.
I expect they will continue to use the same model format maybe with a new tangent space basis (hopefully based on Xnormal's?), either way I expect OpenBrf will
continue to work fine.

OrangeKnight said:
Docm30 said:
The words 'easy' and 'Source' should never be used in the same sentence. It's the most backwards, obfuscated, hard-to-use engine there is.
Yeah that was a bad example, Source is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Though the question is which is harder to mod Source or M&B?

Source mods are C++ DLLs loaded by the engine. You can't really go farther than that. It allows you to almost anything, even adding your own embedded Lua interpreter. Not a fan of cpp myself. After so many years hacking around limitations in Mount&Blade it feels unnatural, even counter-intuitive.

So, that's good and bad at the same time. M&B modding has been always an accessible, family product. That's part of its success.

OrangeKnight said:
If you think about Taleworlds they haven't helped the modding scene that much.
:roll:

They have done quite a bit actually, and do listen to modders quite a bit as well.

Swyter said:
Source mods are C++ DLLs loaded by the engine. You can't really go farther than that. It allows you to almost anything, even adding your own embedded Lua interpreter.

I'm going to develop an engine that will allow you to mod it by making you design a chip gate-by-gate, which will then be distributed by sharing the schematics and printed off via a 3D printer. FEAR MY BABBAGIAN POWER!

MadocComadrin said:
I'm going to develop an engine that will allow you to mod it by making you design a chip gate-by-gate, which will then be distributed by sharing the schematics and printed off via a 3D printer. FEAR MY BABBAGIAN POWER!
ET engineering for games like a baws.
But mods are going to have to be sold to cover the expenses of producing the chips. Or you'll be limited only to people who have 3D printers.

OrangeKnight said:
If you think about Taleworlds they haven't helped the modding scene that much.
Actually, they have. A lot of the current operations were added to the ModSys simply because modders requested them.

When Warband came out did people start making modifications of it once? I think I would play it for the first several months without event thinking about mods if it was good. Even if you don't agree what's the point of making a mod of a game you don't know anything about anyway? Character isn't the only thing which gets changed, most probably everything will.

Danik Golovanov said:
When Warband came out did people start making modifications of it once? I think I would play it for the first several months without event thinking about mods if it was good. Even if you don't agree what's the point of making a mod of a game you don't know anything about anyway? Character isn't the only thing which gets changed, most probably everything will.

I was making mods for Warband during the beta, granted it was really small stuff (helmet and new face model) and with the absence of Openbrf I had a hell of a time getting certain features to work [in vanilla]. One of the things that attracted me to Vanilla M&B was the prospect of modding, even if only insane pioneers were doing it, that little drop-down with "current module" in the splash screen when you boot up the game was a promise of cool things to come.

Csatádi said:
I read somewhere M&B2 will be less moddable.

Q: And what about the module system?
A: there won’t be a module system anymore. It’s going to be a lot more accessible, the whole structure of the game is being rewritten, tenths of times, for the modders to do whatever they please. We created a new game from scratches. What has started as a husband and wife project has expanded, as you know, and the new code began accumulating on top of the old code. It became a little clumsy, it is natural. Have you messed with the shader file, for example?

Q: I didn’t have the courage. But I remember seeing the zombie texture around the folder, a few times.
A: exactly. Many things right now are hard coded, like animations, that can’t be changed without the help of a developer. You won’t have as many limitations in M&B 2.

Back
Top Bottom