Rogue State Violates International Law, Executes Foreign National!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reilnur

Sergeant Knight at Arms
That's right, my crazy home state of Texas - and the activist U.S. Supreme Court - is at it again.

To be fair, the man was a murderer and a rapist, and far better men have been executed by the state of Texas.

Still, it would be nice to see the International Criminal Court issue an arrest warrant for Gov. Rick Perry.

The question(for me anyways) is: Who would give a damn if a murderer/rapist is given the death penalty, regardless of nationality.
Oh, you invaded the rights of Mexico's citizens by ending a man who probably should have had it done to him anyways, so we won't release your citizens. Makes sense.

Meh, **** it. You're not mentioning that the executed murderer has been in the US since he was a small child and that if the state of Texas were to work with Mexico on the trial of the murderer, it would take years, if not decades to exact any kind of justice.

I wouldn't really object to a convicted rapist being executed, if it weren't for the legal woes that it will likely lead to. The man still would have gotten the death sentence (or worse, been imprisoned in a Mexican jail), but now there's the likelihood of a law suit, and we'll have to worry about whether they'll make a point to refuse the right to an American later down the road.

Cool.

Really, the consequences of this in the news might be kind of interesting AND a murderer-rapist was executed. I love Texas.

RalliX said:
The question(for me anyways) is: Who would give a damn if a murderer/rapist is given the death penalty, regardless of nationality.

Erm, the issue isn't his execution, it's that he was refused consular assistance in violation of the treaty of Vienna, which is the little rules that let you talk to your ambassador in a foreign country.

Funny part is, under the provisions of the treaty other nations are now no longer obligated to recognise US embassies. Which could be a laugh.

Archonsod said:
Funny part is, under the provisions of the treaty other nations are now no longer obligated to recognise US embassies. Which could be a laugh.
That I didn't know, but it's exactly what I was talking about. I'm adding some keywords to my news feed so I can hear about this if it happens.

Tibertus said:
I can see your point, Shatari. At the same time, rights of Americans are denied on a regular basis in Mexico, as it is.

If you take rights seriously, you don't stop respecting them just because someone else fails to respect them.

I really don't give a **** about some Murder/Rapist who got executed, **** him he got what he deserved and shouldn't have been protected.

Papa Lazarou said:
Tibertus said:
I can see your point, Shatari. At the same time, rights of Americans are denied on a regular basis in Mexico, as it is.

If you take rights seriously, you don't stop respecting them just because someone else fails to respect them.

That wasn't the point of my post.

Fact of the matter is: The executed individual had been in the US since early childhood. Which means it's unlikely he'd be recognized by the Mexican government for the trial. He was treated as an individual subject to US law, found guilty of murder and rape, and executed. The idea that Mexico might stop respecting the rights of our citizens is a moot point since it happened a long time ago. The idea that we respect human rights to the point that we'd allow a murder/rapist to go free despite that they separated association with their country of origin long ago is what bugs me.

Wouldn't this affect more than just the US and Mexico relations though? The claim where a nation holding a US citizens for crimes makes that they're not going to respect that clause in the Vienna treaty because the US doesn't reciprocate such acts when it is inconvenient to do so is a very dangerous justification to give ground to.

Please, we already have a 48.35/52.00 Infamy rating. Nobody trusts us to uphold our treaties.

We should have just fabricated a claim on this guy and annexed him. No infamy penalty!

Pah! It's only by refusing to pass judgment on him that we place ourselves at his level. We can choose to execute him or not precisely because we are not at his level, we are above him.

Scully said:
Deserath said:
Oh so let people pay taxes for him to live right?  :lol:
That's right. Be a man. Don't lower yourself to their level. That makes you just as bad as them.
Be a man? I'm sorry I don't support paying for them on an already over-burdened Prison system.

Back
Top Bottom