Robocraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Only weakness is basically fliers with plasma, anything else I can take on pretty easily. Probably going to rework it so the wheels are more protected since a few people have aimed there now.

Gravity also seems to be a weakness :

ocnCZ.png

Actually got a kill like that at least before someone else killed me.

Edit: Just died to a plasma tank, barely. He had orange and blue armor though since I somehow got into a game with mostly tier 4's  :roll:

And another one the next game but only after I had killed 4 enemies and was damaged, he got my wheels and I just stood there taking hits until I died :sad:

Needs more heavy blocks on the underside to make it bottom heavy. Had a tank in the early days that was built like that, 7 times out of 10 it would land right side up whenever I feel like throttling off a cliff because the bottom side was so heavy.

It's just the wheels is all, I switched to the lower s type tier 2 wheels and now it works fine.

rS842.png

Better this was anyway since it takes longer for people to get at the wheels if they try shooting there. Now people just aim for my guns mostly.

Just had a pretty lucky game where I got 5 kills. Jumped off near the bridge to kill some guy then followed some guy who started to capture our base, killed him instantly then 3 more came to the base and somehow I managed to kill them all (one had no guns at least), I somehow managed to survive with just one gun.

Also in this game was some guy with some high end plasma gun, to bad he did nothing for the team by the looks of it.

Us7R1.png
p-bdr.png
oWt3Q.png

Tier 5 front cannons are pretty big ....

U_z1n.png
ZurYV.png

Saw someone who actually managed to build a plane fairly well:

rtlhj.png
zvIXH.png
KZq7G.png

I think I shot that guy down before. Had to get out after only detaching a wing though, saw too many air craft themed names on the enemy team to feel confortable slowing down on the first air kill.

Seems like I always play the sacrificial lamb in these games. I played gunbeds when they carry the day, then switch to laser fly just as plasma is buffed to an effective weapon and dominating the air usually signals who wins and loses.

I don't know how Kevlar survives in t3/t4 games with just green armor blocks. One plasma shot and I lose half of my ship which is entirely green armor blocks, with a row of gold on the bottom attached to critical components. :neutral: The only thing I have going for me now is speed. I can't kill tanks fast enough head-on because in tier 3 they're generally solid blocks of armor with over a dozen guns, and I can't engage flyers since I switched to a hovercraft and most of them seem to be using plasma now.

My only good games are on maps with wide flanking options. The map at dusk with the big bridge & canyon in the middle is absolutely horrible for me. :neutral:

I'm considering switching my hovercraft to an SPG with a couple big plasma cannons. The mobility would help me survive, and my playstyle wouldn't really change that much in this thing anyway.

Honestly I spend more time ****ing around than actually playing :razz:

I'll try something, decide to tweak it just a li'l, and before I know it I suddenly have a completely different thing.  So far though my best results have been with an armoured car type design, with top-mounted guns on the backside of it to help shoot down flyers.

Trevty said:
So, I downloaded this game, played a few games with the stock robots, and now I'm not sure what to do.  I wasn't really great with any of them, and I'm not sure what to buy.

You don't have to buy anything to start off really. You start off with 3 bays that have prebuilt designs, I scrapped them and just started to build my own design.

Building a tank or something that is close to one is probably the easiest thing to make. A lot of people also build 'staircase' designs with a lot of guns and just layers of stairs with wheels. Plasma got buffed in their last patch so now a lot of people have plasma bombers that just go up real high and blast ground targets.

kSJKJ.png
7BIdo.png
_DzTF.png
D8OBT.png
6Nizp.png
ikwIi.png

There's some kind of ****ing hivemind in this game. We get flanked? I get shot first. Flyer overhead? Shoots me first. Rolling with literally the entire team of 11 other players and meet one lone enemy? He shoots me.

Me, me, me. Always me. I can hide in the back, but then anyone who flanks will rip me to pieces. I can be at the front, but obviously that's a bad idea. Going in the middle doesn't matter, because apparently I'm an appealing target to everyone. I don't understand it.

Cool, that was fun. I posted this, queued into a game, loaded in, and moved about a third of the way across the map. I was then focused by 3 people.

So quick I beat the 2 minute edit timer.

This is so fun. :roll:

If it's happening so often, maybe it's not a coincidence. What does your vehicle look like?

2014-04-18_00011.jpg

2014-04-18_00013.jpg

2014-04-18_00014.jpg

2014-04-18_00016.jpg

2014-04-18_00017.jpg

2014-04-18_00018.jpg

2014-04-18_00019.jpg

I'll let you live.
2014-04-18_00020.jpg

For now.

It is a huge target, but it's more of a joke than an actual fighter. It's hard to control, not because it's unstable, but because when you build a vertical aircraft that rights up by falling forward, all the controls will be messed up. W becomes pitch down, S becomes pitch up, left and right are reversed, space becomes thrust, and shift becomes air brakes.

Anyway.

2014-04-18_00032.jpg

2014-04-18_00034.jpg

2014-04-18_00035.jpg

2014-04-18_00038.jpg

2014-04-18_00043.jpg

2014-04-18_00044.jpg

2014-04-18_00045.jpg

When I make small robots or big robots I get smoked. Right now I'm in the second largest ship I've built, but it's only big because of how much armor I've slapped onto it to try & improve my chances of survival. It actually has a small cross-section from the front, averaging about 3 blocks tall (4 right in the middle), but it's a relatively large target when viewed from above. I'm not as big as many of the tanks I've seen, but I'm not a 4-wheeled box with a plasma cannon either. I'll take screenshots tomorrow.

What gets me is that I've had this focusing problem for days, and I've rebuilt my robot from scratch each day with a different design. I think it was Swadius that posted a vertical ring-shaped flyer, and I took that as inspiration for a gunship. Despite being narrow and rather small, people would stop everything they were doing to chase me across the map. My TIE fighter before that was a plasma magnet, I assume because of its large wing panels. My current ship looks very similar to this (without the central engine on the back), and I have 3 plasma cannons on it for a decent balance between shot density and rate of fire. Four L4 hoverblades and two L4 thrusters give me quite a bit of speed with good stability, and a few well-placed L1 thrusters give me solid turning capability. I added 3 little struts on the bottom, just a block tall each, which function as landing gear of sorts, so I can drop down to the ground and fire my plasma cannons without worrying about the recoil shifting me around.

What baffles me is the persistence - stuborn-ness, even - with which enemies will pursue me. They'll ignore all threats in order to chase me to the grave, fly right past the majority of my team to engage me first, and switch targets when I show up to a fight. It's incredibly frustrating because of its consistency. I get maybe 1 out of every 7 or 8 matches to actually play, and I spend all the others running in vain. :neutral:

My ship looks like a backwards-pointing arrow. Imagine the arrow on the floor of the garage, but a bit longer and thicker, and a solid triangular point.

Oh it's a ship. When I was still tanking, other tanks and I would always go for the hovering ground attack craft first if we could or whenever they show up. The reason we did this is because anything that flies is perceived to be an opportune target; it wouldn't take very much to make them harmless. After three or four solid shots the craft would usually spin out of control and would be of little threat or at least mitigated quite a bit, the result was we could focus on the next target and pick it dead later. It's almost as if we killed these guys after shooting it a bit. The front end of my tank can be missing a wheel, and lots of armor everywhere, even maybe the entire front end but it can still cap and is maneuverable, whereas a flier would likely be far off balance and spinning on the floor. This is not always the case, some craft are well armored enough to take the hits, maybe be more operational than a tank and last longer than a tank throughout the whole thing, but I and others still shoot at hovers if we can anyway. There is something immensely satisfying  that I can't well describe about blasting a fliers out of the air from the ground or from the air. I liked it so much I went with air superiority route.

Even from the air, I always go for the fliers near the ground that aren't that much further off the ground than the tanks, because I can still shoot the craft, disable it, and not be in the tank's laser's effective range.

There's been a lot of heat from ground-pounders of late about plasma bombers, many of them are complaining that it's quite frustrating to be crippled or killed by something which they can't strike back at. I imagine that if your craft is armed with plasma and in the air, then I think along with being a perceived opportune target, you're going to be a magnet for plasma-op-update hate on top. Most tankers seem to be quite angry about plasma bombers, and I think some of them might just throw away a game just to get at something resembling bombers that they can project it to, even if it doesn't even play the same role.

I can agree with all of the above.

Plasma bombers suck, but the feeling of satisfaction you get when they mistakenly fall into range of your lasers is glorious beyond measure.

I don't even hover when I'm shooting unless I'm over ice. I land so I don't get pushed around by recoil. I also had lasers on it originally, up to 9 lasers at one point for some redundancy, and I was still priority #1 (plus, I would constantly move while armed with lasers because there's no accuracy penalty). I switched to plasma so I could potentially survive past one engagement, because lasers required me to get in range and consequently lose half of my ship. Plasma is completely overpowered right now, I completely agree and sympathize with that, and the thing I despise the most is flyers with plasma cannons, but the choices are lasers (I get one fight per match) or plasma (ship speed + long range = survivability). When rail cannons are added I'll be taking a hard look at those, but if their field of fire isn't tall enough to engage flyers then they won't be of much use to me. I just hope they find a way to maintain viability of lasers so rail cannons don't completely replace them for dedicated ground builds.

I suppose this is what I get for trying a build that isn't a staircase of guns or a flying plasma platform. I'm not going with anything easy or cheesy, and I get the shaft for it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom