Research/previews Egypt

Users who are viewing this thread

Egypt at the time was very Hellenic. Hoplites, peltasts. For chariots I would sugest using perhaps arty train model from Napoleonic wars and use that as your base.

Egypt offers a strong basis for a faction, as they were a major aspect of the area. I keep my thumbs up for Egypt to emerge, especially in the high hopes it'll balance the map a bit towards east. But, to take it to 19th century era troop-wise would hurt the feeling of the mod and diminish the gaming-value (Rome: Total War anyone?) in an otherwise nicely built mod.

Ptolemaic-era Egypt does not lessen the uniqueness the culture has, and it still offers much for you to fiddle with. The getups, ornaments, names, atmosphere... Ptolemy-dynasty never raked away from it, only brought more aspects to it and modernized the military to what was seen as the peak of the era (though nobody could pull the phalanx-heavy cavalry as well as Alexander did).

I'd do a troop tree that gives some leeway in selecting your troops according to era, but also give that extra touch of Egypt.
Basic levy, with egyptian shields and spears, light infantry, egypt-flavour spearman, veteran spearman and from that a branch to the phalangite or Galatian mercenary.
Cavalry could quickly branch to companion-styled or more skirmish-oriented eqyptian/ethiopian ones to give Egypt an edge over others in versatility.
Archers would, perhaps, be the most original of all, since their tools of the trade do not vary much.

Yet, this is but a fan's concerns, a mod-maker should do as he pleases to enjoy the work he is doing.
I'd love to get myself a khopesh, so go forward!

Mill Wilkinson said:
Egypt offers a strong basis for a faction, as they were a major aspect of the area. I keep my thumbs up for Egypt to emerge, especially in the high hopes it'll balance the map a bit towards east. But, to take it to 19th century era troop-wise would hurt the feeling of the mod and diminish the gaming-value (Rome: Total War anyone?) in an otherwise nicely built mod.

Ptolemaic-era Egypt does not lessen the uniqueness the culture has, and it still offers much for you to fiddle with. The getups, ornaments, names, atmosphere... Ptolemy-dynasty never raked away from it, only brought more aspects to it and modernized the military to what was seen as the peak of the era (though nobody could pull the phalanx-heavy cavalry as well as Alexander did).

I'd do a troop tree that gives some leeway in selecting your troops according to era, but also give that extra touch of Egypt.
Basic levy, with egyptian shields and spears, light infantry, egypt-flavour spearman, veteran spearman and from that a branch to the phalangite or Galatian mercenary.
Cavalry could quickly branch to companion-styled or more skirmish-oriented eqyptian/ethiopian ones to give Egypt an edge over others in versatility.
Archers would, perhaps, be the most original of all, since their tools of the trade do not vary much.

Yet, this is but a fan's concerns, a mod-maker should do as he pleases to enjoy the work he is doing.
I'd love to get myself a khopesh, so go forward!
19th Dynasty is nothing like in Rome Total War..... if I get what you are saying.
and also, I have my plans ready for Egypt, I will explain more, once the base is ready . for now that stays secret :razz:, but let's just say it will please everyone.

Back
Top Bottom