Research/previews Egypt

Users who are viewing this thread

dion1195

Grandmaster Knight
Reseach and Previews "Egypt"

Egypt is an upcoming faction for Romae Bellum, not for the next release 3.0 but for a later one, we will be doing this faction from scratch, with new models, all made by the Romae Bellum team, In this thread I will be posting previews. of what we have done, and asking you guys to post pictures on the Egyptians, I know a few weeks ago I put up a poll, on which period we should focus Egypt, and we will be focusing on my favorite period, 19th Dynasty (New Kingdom). The poll result said otherwise, and for that reason we will blend a few aspects of ptolemy in.

List of Models:

- 2 Variots of the Khopesh sword/axe
v1
khopeshv2_zpsa3af4f46.png

khopeshv2blend_zps8d07f7a9.png

v2
Khopesh2blend_zps48a45875.png

untitledblend_zps6c8b52af.png

Sounds Pretty Good, I was wondering if There could be a faction that had extremely poor starting units but you could recruit them faster but at the top had one or two Elite unit's. So say the Egyptian Infantry are quite bad but they have Chariots that are great or something?

Egytian infantry bad? how come?
They are fast moving with nice weapons, and chariots. I am not sure if we will be able to put them in, I do hope so though! :razz:

Why making 19th century unit roster for ptolemaic egypt? Wouldn't it be like making napoleonic musketeers for WW1 france? If you want to do it, it's your mod so go ahead, but i'm just expressing my thoughts. A mixed greek-egyptian unit roster is the ideal in my opinion, low-medium troops are the natives and the medium-high are the greeks.
Anyways, check out the Europa Barbaroum website for the ptolemic armies. (wwweuropabarbarorumcom/factions_ptolemaioi_unitshtml,add dots)
I understand if you don't want to copy units from EB, but the mod was done by historians and has an astonishing degree of historical accurateness

Well, first 19th Dynasty :razz: (not century :razz:)
witch means 1300-1200-ish bc.

and I feel like doing this because I love the rammeside period, and it would make for a far more intretsing faction, then another greek/macedonian faction...

I understand that there are alot of Diadochi factions and that 19th century egyptians would be more interesting, but it would feel a bit out of place considering the timeframe
So yeah my suggestion is to incorporate elements of both periods if you want, being the greeks the aristocratic elite that filled the ranks of the most powerful units and native egyptians the common levies.
Even with the seleucid empire(if you plan doing it) you could add diversity by using eastern elements, I think the only true macedonian faction would be macedon itself.

You already know how I feel about this, and I don't think I can add anything to what Annibal said. It's your mod, true enough, but more of us wanted to have Ptolemaic Egypt rather than 19th Dynasty. With that in mind, if you want to pander to the pro-Ptolemy crowd, you could always make a folder downloadable that overwrites the 19th Dynasty features and replaces them with Ptoly ones; names, faces, troop tree, weapons and armour etc.

Aenima said:
With that in mind, if you want to pander to the pro-Ptolemy crowd, you could always make a folder downloadable that overwrites the 19th Dynasty features and replaces them with Ptoly ones; names, faces, troop tree, weapons and armour etc.
Well, can't be arsed with doing that...

Making both, making it once will be hard,..... making it twice...... no...., I can't be botherd as dumbman said.
and mixing it, no.... also I just wanted to focus the army, not the generals / cities. :razz:

Dion/Folcwar said:
Making both, making it once will be hard,..... making it twice...... no...., I can't be botherd as dumbman said.
and mixing it, no.... also I just wanted to focus the army, not the generals / cities. :razz:

That means it'd take less work for us to do - phalanxes and other Hellenic infantry, peltasts and slinger/archers, some native infantry with elephants and then Hellenic cavalry, many of the units which could probably have equipment from already-existing soldiers...I think it'd be quite do-able, and I reckon I'll be willing to learn how to model and texture weapons myself, purely to see it done. Let's just hope I don't repeat my last attempt at making stuff and end up with the sword hilts (and blades) being hollow  :mrgreen:

Dion/Folcwar said:
Egytian infantry bad? how come?
They are fast moving with nice weapons, and chariots. I am not sure if we will be able to put them in, I do hope so though! :razz:

Well i just felt like a type of Peasant race would be awesome but it's probably quite hard (If you had to make it so they could recruit more troops, well tedious at least) And no chariots!!!! You Have Elephant's you must have Chariots! Would be OP but so dam awesome!

Hello i am new to this forum because i want to help this mod a bit. I followed it a while and i thought i give just my two cents.

I did some research about Egyptian soldiers, read mostly about them in books amd here is what i found out:
They where superb Archers and used a longbow and arrowtips with flint or copper. There gear was mostly copper because iron was rare in their region.
The foot soldiers were poorly armed they used leathershields and hardy worn any armor sometimes a bronze helmet only the elite troops had some kind of bronze Cainmail. On of their most used weapons was a club.

Hope this is a bit helpful and you can read it because english is not my native language. :???:

I can certainly read it, and I knew this, though they did not use a long bow, but a composite bow. or a long Composite bow. :razz: also Helmets were not common at all most were linnen just for the sun. :razz: The elite of the Egytian army wore a leather currais, reinforced with brozen scales.

and Actually, the bow and spear and axe were the most common weapons in thier army, the spear by far*

Thanks for trying to help though, though pictures would help more :razz:

Aenima said:
Dion/Folcwar said:

That means it'd take less work for us to do - phalanxes and other Hellenic infantry, peltasts and slinger/archers, some native infantry with elephants and then Hellenic cavalry, many of the units which could probably have equipment from already-existing soldiers...I think it'd be quite do-able, and I reckon I'll be willing to learn how to model and texture weapons myself, purely to see it done. Let's just hope I don't repeat my last attempt at making stuff and end up with the sword hilts (and blades) being hollow  :mrgreen:
also, as you had read, I want to do this faction by myself, I do not want to copy. maybe some armours for re-texture. but that is a maybe! :razz:

Dion/Folcwar said:
also, as you had read, I want to do this faction by myself, I do not want to copy. maybe some armours for re-texture. but that is a maybe! :razz:

Yeah dude, totally get you. I'm just saying that I might eventually look into doing it myself, basically taking the Egyptian faction once it's done and giving them a Hellenic troop tree for my game - none of that 19th Dynasty gibberish  :mrgreen:

Aenima said:
Dion/Folcwar said:

Yeah dude, totally get you. I'm just saying that I might eventually look into doing it myself, basically taking the Egyptian faction once it's done and giving them a Hellenic troop tree for my game - none of that 19th Dynasty gibberish  :mrgreen:
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom