• Shintoism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Traditional Religion

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pantheism

• Agnosticism

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Non-religious, but spirituality in some form.

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Atheism

Votes: 119 32.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Taoism

• Buddhism

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Terrible at Werewolf

Votes: 35 9.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Obama has a lot of nerve saying that God and Allah are unjust for allowing ISIS to do what they do. If he means he is an agent of God or Allah or both of them and is in direct communication with one or both of them and bombing people on behalf of at least one of them he should just say so.

Great public speaker my ass. "um" "um".

I don't like how people are so willing to throw out terms like "idiot" and "brainwashed" when talking about religious people. Religion is a very clever thing really, be it a pleasant distraction or just something to believe in to get you through the day. I think religion is personal and it doesn't matter to me who believes what. It is only when these beliefs are forced on others or when these beliefs are mocked by others that I take issue. One is entitled to knowing one's own mind and doesn't need to be told what to think.

I think the point of the Bible and other texts like it are for them to be open to interpretation by any one person. I think the Bible is just teaching love and equality, but of course there could be verses which contradict that, but perhaps those verses don't apply to me. Perhaps we don't need to take anything literally. A book written by man can be full of bias and corrupt ideas. If a man were to write the bible now, 2000 years later, would we see much difference? Depends on the man really. Or the woman, for that matter.

Regardless, the ideas of one person should never be allowed to override the individuality of another.

An Irish Noob said:
I don't like how people are so willing to throw out terms like "idiot" and "brainwashed" when talking about religious people. Religion is a very clever thing really, be it a pleasant distraction or just something to believe in to get you through the day. I think religion is personal and it doesn't matter to me who believes what. It is only when these beliefs are forced on others or when these beliefs are mocked by others that I take issue. One is entitled to knowing one's own mind and doesn't need to be told what to think.

I think the point of the Bible and other texts like it are for them to be open to interpretation by any one person. I think the Bible is just teaching love and equality, but of course there could be verses which contradict that, but perhaps those verses don't apply to me. Perhaps we don't need to take anything literally. A book written by man can be full of bias and corrupt ideas. If a man were to write the bible now, 2000 years later, would we see much difference? Depends on the man really. Or the woman, for that matter.

Regardless, the ideas of one person should never be allowed to override the individuality of another.

So what should one do, then, when their honestly held beliefs include certain rather distressing dictates from God about how they should interact with other people of different beliefs? Should they ignore God to appease you and your notion of strictly personal religion?

Not from what I've personally experienced with people. That's one of the craziest assumptions I've ever heard. So your saying from what you know about history you can't be in the same space of people of a different personal belief? That's not what I've learned from history; it's surprising to think what type of place the US would be if they treated religion like North Korea.

I had just written an essay on the topic but my browser screwed me over. Cheers, Firefox. :razz:

You see, quite frankly, hatred is not natural to man. I believe it is bred. I think it's an idea rather than an emotion. It's a combination of emotions, but not one in itself. At least, in my opinion.

If somebody believes that violence and hatred is what their God wants from them, then that is a result of ideas being forced upon that person by others or by circumstances in their life which has lead to that corruption. At that point, it isn't religion. Religion just becomes a word, an excuse for the corrupt philosophies of man.

You can have your personal religion and still be part of "organised religion". Organised religion just being a way to share certain core beliefs and ideas through respect and tolerance. But of course, this allows for the corruption of man to become part of the organisation. That is because men are put in charge of other men and their ideas forced upon the others. This is when one man's ideas override the individuality of another. And that defeats the purpose of religion entirely.

An Irish Noob said:
You see, quite frankly, hatred is not natural to man.
Yeah sure mate. Because in the thousands of years that have passed since the dawn of man we all get along perfect right?
Even without religion another excuse would come up for hatred to rest within man's bosom.

But if you were right, love would be a made up notion too. Love would be the result of other emotions blended with the human instinct of reproduction. They would eventually lead to cheating and a failed marriage but this is evidently not true. People will always act on their feelings, love and hate is part of man unless you are emotionally handicapped or you repress yourself and don't act on them.

#my2cents

Back
Top Bottom