Relation with villages after quest

Users who are viewing this thread

raik3n87

Recruit
I want to tweak relations with villages after i Finish "hunt fugitive" and "retrieve lute" and "collect taxes" quests

I can understand a loss of relationship when I kill someone in the village, but 10 and 6 is nuts
If i collect taxes for an instance, I only lose 2. That doesn't make sense.

NO SCRIPTS PLEASE, I just want to know wich numbers do I have to change in the text files ( I have VC rebalance v9.0)

Hi raik3n87: I'm afraid I don't know an easy text tweak for that, but since you mention you are using VC Balance Mod, and I am about to release a new version in a  few days, I am open to changing the numbers in the mod. What are your ideas for each number? My initial thought is to agree with you especially that the lute stealing guard should have a lower drop, since nothing in the quest indicates he is related to the villagers (unlike the bounty hunt where the murderer is hiding with his relatives in the village), and I'm open to all suggestions for each of the three numbers.

Hunt down fugitive -4 [when you loot/enslave a village, you get -20, but it's cause you have the whole village against you, if you kill a relative you have a family against you and the elder, so 2+2 (mother and father+ elder that counts as 2]

Taxes -2 (elder, he loses face with people when he asks you to lower the tax amount and you ignore him)

Lute -2 (elder, you ask him about a lute, but you don't mention you are about to wack someone)

Oh another thing.

I tweaked the text files in order to:
Take more people with me during raid on bandit lairs (easy, changed a 7 into 70)

Take my army to farmstead ambush ( my tweak causes a bug that doubles reginhard and the other companions though)
I did it cause, when I saw the message "you see smoke but no people" I became wary, so I found really weird to go alone in the farmstead to be ambushed by bandits. You might want to give the options to go alone, send scouts, or just lead your troops.

Thanks for the relations suggestions and reasoning behind them. I agree with your suggestion for the lute quest relation penalty, and I’ll consider the others further as well.

On bandit lairs: Your tweak is definitely more realistic, but then I’d worry about the bandit lairs being too easy. Unfortunately, I tried to adjust bandit lair enemy size and reinforcment rates in a previous beta, and too much seems hardcoded so it ended up with glitches, so I had to revert those changes, so no possibility of making the lairs harder to compensate. I did make loot fairer though, given the party limit Balance Mod caps the player army loot shares for bandit lairs at 6 men and the player shares (ie, whereas in vanilla if you bring 100 man army in your party size all 100 get a loot share even though only 6 fight in the battle, in Balance Mod the player always gets the same large amount of loot regardless of his army being 6 or 600, since troop shares are capped).

On farmstead: Agreed it is weird how sometimes the player wanders into obvious ambushes. I imagine the bandits would hide rather than attack were an army to approach though, and from a gameplay perspective bringing an entire army can kind of trivialize the encounter. Same as with the bandit lairs, it is maintaining balance with an “arbitrary headcount limit” https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArbitraryHeadcountLimit . I think it is a completely sensible personal decision to favor realism first and remove such limits, but in the mod I tend to prioritize balance over realism when they conflict.

Tingyun said:
and too much seems hardcoded so it ended up with glitches, so I had to revert those changes, so no possibility of making the lairs harder to compensate

nothing is hardcoded about this system, so if you want to learn how that works and how to adapt/tweak you can visit the Forge and ask about it

regarding the farmstead, my experience is:

I was traveling with 20 soldiers (mostly mercenary spearmen, due to the fact I couldn't recruit villagers at the time... before that I had 40/45 but i lost many of them battling northmen) and I went to the farmstead to hire farmers as temporary meatshields
After the ambush I was left with 12 I think, most of them who were still alive were wounded so at that moment I actually had lik 3 active soldiers counting myself.

So I dont think that's unbalanced, expecially on a storyline playtrough, when you travel most of the time and mainly get mercenaries in your party.

I tried modding everything regarding bandit lairs in missions_templates and party templates. Tests changing the party template numbers for bandit lairs did not change party numbers in the way usually done in relation to level (unlike, say, reinforcement templates for lords) and exhibited weird results. Tests changing the mission_templates reinforcement waves, including the tie to level, also resulted in very strange results in game. There was also a glitch where loot wouldn’t be gained after the lair battle when certain things were changed.

The scaling link between bandit lair enemy numbers and player character level (ie, how bandit lairs get huge numbers of men when the player reaches very high level) seems to be managed by something not in either the party templates or mission templates file—I assumed that part was hardcoded because I couldn’t find in anywhere in those files, but I certainly could be wrong if someone has found it.

Raik3n87: I think that’s the essential difficulty in storyline/location balance, the player could be at so many different levels and army strengths when they go to the farmstead. You are clearly right that your tweak wasn’t unbalanced in your playthrough given your army size, but I think other players might sidequest more and approach the farmstead with a much larger army. I know a lot other players favor a long initial period of trading or sidequesting to build up. I’ll think more about it though, and I’ll add your suggestions and feedback to the planning notes.

Thanks.
I remembered about another thing thast bugs me alot
Can you please remove the tar/cloth/lumber requirement for building large ships, or make it random or city prosper level relate?
How is it even possible that a ship crafter has no materials, and even if it doesn't have them, why should I go fetch them?

IMO it would be best to add a dialog where the builder says "hey it's gonna take a while longer to build this cause I have to get extra materials, and it's gonna cost you a bit more... is that okay with you? Y/N

Then add something like 1000/2000 gold to the final price and increase construction time by a week or two

Hi raik3n87,

Have you tried out Kalarhan's VC Tweaks Tool? I release the Balance Mod module files in tweaks tool compatible format, so balance mod players can still make use of the tool, because it is such a wonderful program.

The Tweaks Tool will let you remove the ship building goods requirement, as well as activate a host of other tweaks that might improve your play experience. It is also easy to use, and combining it with Balance Mod is easy as well (just download and setup the tweaks tool first, then download the balance mod module files, and follow the included text document instructions)

Back
Top Bottom