Raiders | In Development Viking videogame

Users who are viewing this thread

Belda

Veteran
I'm a veteran Warband player. Five years ago I started to get interested in the graphic part of the warband mods trying to make a mod with some friends, we did not finish it but I focused on everything I needed to know to make a game of my own. Currently I am very good at modeling, animation and programming and I have decided to take the step to make a serious game. I consider this game as a bastard son between Mount & Blade and Total War.

Let's talk about the game...

d20Crs.png

Raiders is a third person melee combat simulation game, set in the Viking era.

The game could be said to be divided into three parts.
[list type=decimal]

[*]Kaupang (Permanent Server)
[*]Raids, Clan Wars and skirmish mode (dedicated servers)
[*]Multiplayer invasion campaigns(Temporary server)

[/list]

Kaupang (Permanent Server), an important commercial port, where players can socialize, trade, plan raids, create alliances, conspire to gain power in the region. Own a farm. Get a family.
Raids, Clan Wars and skirmish mode (dedicated servers):

• Clan Wars, Gather your men, gather your allies, create a great army and engage in combat against your enemies. You will gain prestige and power in the region, you will get riches and more warriors to your orders to gain control of Kaupang as Konungr.
  • Raids, You can make a raid your alone with your men or in the company of other players. The maximum allowed will be 20 players and each one will be able to attend the event with 2 warriors. The difficulty will increase according to the area that you intend to attack, if you fall in combat during the raid you will not get loot.
  • Skirmish mode, the typical team deathmatch, without npc at your command.

Multiplayer invasion campaigns, Gather your men, your allies and everyone who wants to participate. Collect food, boats, weapons, everything you need to feed a large army of Viking warriors and launch yourself to invasion and pillage. Raids within the invasion are allowed. Disembark, build a camp and fight enemy armies until you conquer. Your enemies (players) can fight from the attacked side. Temporary server, can last a week or a month, depends on the objectives.

Features:

• Directional combat system. Four directions, front kick, shield hit and in the absence of the same blunt blow with the equipped weapon. Weapons and breakable shields.
  • Ranged combat system. Targeted free. Bow and throwing weapons.
  • IA Advanced. Combat formations.
  • Customization. Shield, equipment, beard and hairstyle.
  • Smithy. Any player can venture to forge weapons for himself or to sell them. The stats will be different for each weapon.
  • Market. You can sell or buy products to other players.
  • Facial animations, dismemberments, wounds, dust, blood and mud.

RoadMap:

Q1 2019 - Q2 2020: Raiders Alpha's version
    Q3 2020 - Q1 2021: Raiders Beta's version
    Q1 2021 - ? : Raiders Release & updates

It's possible, if the level of sales is overwhelming, that we make a campaign for a single player using the assets already made, hiring actors. I leave it in the air because it's too soon.

Links:
https://www.indiedb.com/games/raiders
https://www.reddit.com/r/RaidersPC/
https://belda.itch.io/raiders

Devlogs:
-Road to Alpha #1: https://belda.itch.io/raiders/devlog/58965/raiders-road-to-alpha-1 / https://www.indiedb.com/games/raiders/news/raiders-road-to-alpha-1

what do you think about the project?

Harkon Haakonson said:
No singleplayer?

Only if the game has great support and revenues allow, we would only have to hire some actors to be able to make a good campaign for a single player. I am willing to work in the game years after the launch, improving it in all aspects if I can live from it.

I can always come up with something for a single player like managing a Viking village and doing raids. But after finishing the multiplayer and using the assets already created.

Anyway, the game will like it because it's an all in one. It's soon, but I will put all my effort and time.
We already have a sandbox singleplayer, its name is mount&blade and mods, I do not intend to compete with it.

Captura.3.PNG

The ambitious project:

A campaign map where each player can own a village, the villages can be united in small kingdoms. These kingdoms can fight for control of the Konungr(king) title.

These small kingdoms can suffer invasions of independent armies. They can conquer and maintain control of regions outside of Scandinavia

Villages can not be visited physically in the virtual environment, villages provide soldiers and supplies, you can only visit Kaupang.

It is little information but I have everything detailed in a document.

In short, it would be like a massive and multiplayer Total War, where the battles are transferred to a dedicated server at a specific time. Taking the idea of ​​Strategus, c-rpg mod for warband.

We would also have the PW mod represented in Kaupang, Skiringssal region. And the raids, where it would be a full invasion in reverse, players against bots, but attack the players.

The modest project:

Kaupang as a persistent world, like the PW mod.
Clan wars, raids and team deathmatch.

I would like to do the ambitious project a lot, but for something I have to start

Harkon Haakonson said:
Sure, but I'm inclined to agree with Brute. This sort of game benefits so much from singleplayer sandbox.
Quite so. I also think that any sort of non-modern first person fighting game is more niche. Most who like multiplayer first person shooters tend to prefer, well, shooters. There's not a big enough gamer base, I think, for there to be a medieval-ish equivalent of Counterstrike, in terms of popularity. And then there are the subcategories: some like knights but not vikings or samurai; some like samurai but the others not so much, and then there's Romans, Spartans, pirates and what have you. And then, within each of these subcategories, you have those who prefer singleplayer, and those who prefer multi. M&B is great because the mods allow it to cater to all of the above. War of the Roses went belly-up pretty fast, and Chivalry isn't doing too great either. So I have to agree that single-player is much more important to these games than multiplayer.

Lack of singleplayer might be due to costs, since programming AI that isn't pants-on-head dumb can be more consuming than the rest of the project together.

Back
Top Bottom