Questions about diplomacy

Users who are viewing this thread

I had a few question concerning the Diplomacy mod and if what i'm experiencing is due to the mod or just how native works.

I'm currently in the Khergit faction and i've noticed that there is rarely (if ever) times of peace. And when we are at war with one group the Khergits will randomly start 2-3 more wars when they are already having a rough time in their current war.

I played native all the way through to starting my own kingdom and taking over the map etc but I never experience such war-mongering activity.

From what i remember a faction would only end up at war with multiple factions because the others would declare war on them, and not one declaring war on multiple fronts. It makes no sense that one faction would choose to have a 3 front war.

I'm about 700 days in and i'm wondering if i turn all the options to "off" will that fix my problem? Or am I too far in? Can i just port my save game to the native module without bugs?

Has anyone else experienced this? It's rather annoying having constant war, and while I can defend my fiefs, always being "on edge" gets tiresome.

Thanks

This is also my first playthrough on diplomacy and I noticed the same thing actually. I joined the Swadians while they were down to their last castle and despite the insurmountable odds against us with the current war, we declared two others.

I've also noticed that nobody declares war to curb another factions power anymore. It made some sense as some factions control up to 8 towns and multiple castles at some points. I'm not complaining as native was actually way too easy, especially since the lords kept defecting like crazy, which just about broke the game. Diplomacy adds some challenge without completely changing the game like Floris.

The options details are available as sticky.
AI as Economic options can take time to really have their effect, I advise you to keep a save-backup before changing one drastically.

That said, I find war more stable/coherent in Diplomacy than in Native. I can often see the same strong alliances (like Swadia-Sarranid).
Due to the massive lord's defection as soon as a new game start, it takes very long time to see kingdoms reach their cruising state.
(usualy 700-800 days for me)
But keep in mind that war and peace are not predefined. It is all related to kingdom's relative power and opportunities at a given time.

yehrom said:
The options details are available as sticky.
AI as Economic options can take time to really have their effect, I advise you to keep a save-backup before changing one drastically.

That said, I find war more stable/coherent in Diplomacy than in Native. I can often see the same strong alliances (like Swadia-Sarranid).
Due to the massive lord's defection as soon as a new game start, it takes very long time to see kingdoms reach their cruising state.
(usualy 700-800 days for me)
But keep in mind that war and peace are not predefined. It is all related to kingdom's relative power and opportunities at a given time.

I've read the sticky many times, it doesn't quantify or explicitly say what it does to change the system for declaring war etc.

The problem isn't difficulty as it is immersion and/or realism. It's illogical for a faction to declare war on 2 additional factions when it is having trouble in their first war. Or, randomly declaring war on a faction that doesn't share borders and isn't overly powerful. That's not something I experienced in all my time in native. Also there tends to be very few "border incidents".

I'm not trying to bash the mod, it has alot of cool features. I'm just looking to get a grasp on why peace doesn't seem to have a place in the world.

My specific question would be if I disable all the options, will the war/diplomacy system work as it does in native? Or are there base changes that can't be disabled that affect the system entirely.

Thankyou for the responses.

About options, yes, turn them off as your game start (Economic & AI) and you will have all the Native behavior.

Indeed, the war-system lack of depth in Native. It is mainly leaded by random event.
At given "cycle"/event, kings are asked about their strategy and random is part of their decision.
AI doesnt feel the war as you do. It is even hard for them to distinguish if they are winning or loosing... AI life is Hard!  :fruity:

"Border incident" is one of them but doesnt open a war automatically. Their are also a way to see what our king AI's have in mind.
If they dont use this incident to grab their sword it may be a sign an alliance is growing/standing.

Diplomacy try to counter that by adding factors and modifing how their work (like the target to conquer as you said)
A hard job which require a hig quality design that may lack in Diplomacy. Such design is a hard job itself!

Back
Top Bottom