Prostitution and Rape

Users who are viewing this thread

Ashmond

Sergeant at Arms
I'm really trying to push beyond semantics with the question "Can a prostitute be raped?".  Of course this question implies that the individual is on the job and not randomly doing those menial things required out of life.  Given this question, I can't equate the prostitute with the average person who is going about their usual day to day business.  Surely there are differences in the perpetrators who commit these offenses according to their respective targets.

According to the target, the perpetrator would differ cognitively and volitionally.  There may be emotional differences as well, but the main differences would probably be by which means to the same end.  To me, this represents two separate acts of violence and that should be addressed differently, especially in the legal sense.

Scenario one.  The prostitute has, by its own volition, been placed into a subpar level of society.  Whether prostitution is right or wrong, subjectively or objectively, is out of hand.  In this scenario, the prostitute's body is no longer a sovereign entity that enjoys the standard rights to carnal privacy and privilege.  They have stripped themselves of that shield and are now equivalent to meat at the market.  Given this, how can they enjoy the same standards, by which the body is concerned, as the person who has retained the shield and therefore, their carnal rights?  Why would the perpetrator be charged with anything besides robbery?  For anyone persistent enough to stick with the standard definition of rape as forcible intercourse, then at what point would the rape become a robbery?  Surely the act of either not paying or taking the money back, after the fact, would be robbery?  No matter how you look at this scenario, the only function missing from an otherwise positive solution is the money.

Scenario two.  You know what that is already, but I'll elaborate.  I fully agree with laws that protect individual carnal privileges en masse.  Even the scantily clad ones, so try not to confuse what I argue above as including those types.  They may strip from themselves a bit of carnal privacy, but they still own the privilege.  At least until they hang a "for sale"sign around their neck.  As previously stated, I believe the perpetrators differ in these two scenarios and therefore should be handled differently.

Lastly, this stems from a dilemma I'm having in creating a dialog.  I've never really thought about this specific question until then and I'm finding that my ethical radar is experiencing strange noise and interference with this question.     

I don't see why you want to take away their rights. When clients pay, you can say they get a "privilege" that doesn't apply to when they're off-duty. It's as if a taxi-driver had lost the right to drive his car alone and without strangers.

All that is required for rape is for one party not to give their consent. Occupation, circumstances et al are irrelevant, if you withdraw your consent during intercourse and your partner refuses to stop then you can still charge them with rape.

Well, yes. Of course it's still rape. I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that it isn't. You mentioned that they lower their protection, but -stretching your logic here a bit- is it then also morally less unacceptable to rape someone in a short skirt than it is to rape someone who is dressed entirely from neck to toe?

You didn't read the whole post, FrisianDude?

I fully agree with laws that protect individual carnal privileges en masse.  Even the scantily clad ones, so try not to confuse what I argue above as including those types.  They may strip from themselves a bit of carnal privacy, but they still own the privilege.  At least until they hang a "for sale"sign around their neck.

Why is there so many ****ing morons in off-topic recently? Seriously, what the ****'s going on?

kiarj said:
Why is there so many ******** morons in off-topic recently? Seriously, what the ****'s going on?

Typical in your face answer: I don't know, ask yourself?

Maybe you were seen as a moron when you joined this forum.

Just because their body becomes their product, does not mean that it ceases to be their body. If a man rapes a prostitute, he is still attacking that person, not just some property of the person. It's disgusting to me that you could think of that as robbery and not rape. The moment a single party, as Arch said, withdraws consent is the moment sex becomes rape. Period.

NordArcher said:
kiarj said:
Why is there so many ******** morons in off-topic recently? Seriously, what the ****'s going on?

Typical in your face answer: I don't know, ask yourself?

Maybe you were seen as a moron when you joined this forum.

Not quite, I've been seen as a ****wit (derp?) for a couple of ****ty mistakes, but I've wised up fast enough. But there's so many people who seem to think OT is a place to unload their ****ty personal theories on every****ingthing.

I mean, seriously? OP is arguing that raping a prostitute is theft? Read that out loud, keh: Raping a prostitute.

Hurr Durr, raping a prostitute is shop lifting hurr durr.

Are you ****ing serious? I have a feeling this entire goddamned thread started because of that ****ing joke.

kiarj said:
Why is there so many ****ing morons in off-topic recently? Seriously, what the ****'s going on?

Mount & Blade went Mainstream. Now every dumbass on the internet is infesting the forums.

@OP: Because you're not going to find any logical answer sufficient, here is an answer for you. The moment a person becomes a women she is an Object. So therefor you can do whatever you want so long as you own that object. There's your goddamned bit of misogyny you ****ed up piece of ****.

Pierce Elliot said:
Hurr Durr, raping a prostitute is shop lifting hurr durr.

Are you ******** serious? I have a feeling this entire goddamned thread started because of that ******** joke.

kiarj said:

Mount & Blade went Mainstream. Now every dumbass on the internet is infesting the forums.

@OP: Because you're not going to find any logical answer sufficient, here is an answer for you. The moment a person becomes a women she is an Object. So therefor you can do whatever you want so long as you own that object. There's your goddamned bit of misogyny you ****ed up piece of ****.

There are mainstream-game players who are quite hardcore gamers and nice people.

Magorian Aximand said:
Just because their body becomes their product, does not mean that it ceases to be their body. If a man rapes a prostitute, he is still attacking that person, not just some property of the person. It's disgusting to me that you could think of that as robbery and not rape. The moment a single party, as Arch said, withdraws consent is the moment sex becomes rape. Period.

Would that not at least qualify as robbery as well? 

And to extend this a bit, suppose the deed is done but the client takes the money, or refuses payment according to whatever preconditions and the prostitute charges rape.  What then?

Ashmond said:
Magorian Aximand said:

And to extend this a bit, suppose the deed is done but the client takes the money, or refuses payment according to whatever preconditions and the prostitute charges rape.  What then?

Was she consenting?

YES: Not rape.

NO: Rape.

NordArcher said:
Ashmond said:

Was she consenting?

YES: Not rape.

NO: Rape.

Careful! You should try to simplify that thought or you might break his mind!

Ashmond said:
Magorian Aximand said:

Uh, hey dumbass.
If the guy and the prostitute agrees to sex for X amount of money then the prostitute still should get paid if in the middle of it the prostitute refuses but the guy rapes her. It still fullfills the contract.

BUT IT IS STILL ****ING RAPE! THE PROSTITUTE IS STILL A PERSON AND CAN STILL CHARGE THE RAPIST FOR RAPE.

And yes, I want to ****ing scream at you right now. In fact I almost did. But unfortunately I can't seem to speak dumbass with the proper dialect. Therefor, you'll have to forgive me for speaking semi-intelligently, in an aggressive manner.

Taateli said:
If I take boxing lessons and beat my couch to death, why should it be called a murder?
:???: :?:

I think you just objectified women with that message, but by that notion I'm disgusted by what I think you just tried to say.

Ashmond said:
Magorian Aximand said:

If you want to try to add on additional charges, be my guest, but in no way could you not call it rape.

Ashmond said:

If she was consenting the whole time, and he refuses payment afterwards, that's a different story. But that really has nothing to do with your original question. That's a money dispute.

Pierce Elliot said:
Taateli said:
If I take boxing lessons and beat my couch to death, why should it be called a murder?
:???: :?:

I think you just objectified women with that message, but by that notion I'm disgusted by what I think you just tried to say.

And I'm afraid you actually didn't get what I was trying to say. Did I forgot to add [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm]?

Back
Top Bottom