Peacetime needs to be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Even with the fixes, almost every kindgom starts the game at war, and then stays at war pretty much until they get wiped out. This really needs to change. Not just because it feeds the snowballing and increases the pace massively, but also because Lords and Kingdoms need time to rebuild their armies and garrisons, and they just can't do that if they're in 2+ wars at all times. As it stands, all the Lords end up with 70% peasant armies and all the castles have bare-bones garrisons (also mostly peasants) after just a few years in-game.

For peacetime to be a thing, though, there needs to be stuff for Lords to do at peace, so here are a few ideas:
-Tournaments
-Feasts
-Grand Tournaments (Big tournament like a feast where all the Lords show up with much bigger prizes and influence rewards)
-Recruitment
-Bandit/Rebel Hunting (to train troops)
-Building Garrisons
-Developing Fiefs

Just a few things. I think this would make wars a lot more fun and impactful when both sides are going into it with full garrisons and armies, while also slowing the overall pace of conquest to help support the intended timeframe of the game instead of having everything be effectively over by 1088 every time.

+1

I joined a kingdom right after reaching clan level 2 and after years and years of in game time I still haven't seen a single day of peace. I am sick and tired of fighting same kingdom over and over again.

Also, my leadership skill might have bugged out, because even after defeating an army of 260 with my 60 highly trained soldiers (it was still hell. I had to do it over and over and over again and when did manage to win, I was left with only 2 soldiers. 40 dead, 18 wounded.) my army size still haven't reached above 85.

I basically agree... but I don't think there'd be a lot to do in peace time once you reach mid game, unless you're a trader of course... The game really lacks any kind of neutral threat to deal with... This is something a lot of warband mods improved upon

Yeah, I agree and all that war also creates quite a few issues, like an increasing number of hideouts, more bandit groups and larger ones, too. And this in turn, makes the economy go poof, since villagers have nobody to protect them, while traversing their goods. This hurts and benefits trading and I am not totally averse to this, however, since there rarely are peacetimes and the raiders grow stronger and stronger; this gets unnerving. Yesterday I saw bands of 45+ Sea Raiders, Looters and Steppe Bandits, which are a real threat to many Lord's parties, even. Again not totally against that stuff, but this is a huge security hazard for a realm and hence an incentive to make peace.
Peace time also allows for more fun things to do, like feasts, bigger tournaments, quests from lords, diplomacy and generally more interaction between the factions, as others already pointed out. Also the time where settlements can and will prosper.
So generally at the moment there is little to do when you do not want to fight all the time. Trading is basically the only thing and village quests become rarer and rarer, especially quests where you have to solve other things than just a family feud.

+1 op, great feedback.
Maybe with some peace the nobles will sit still sometimes making tracking them down a bit easier too. They seem to be charging about all the time making it really hard to use social skills or progress the storyline.

+1, +10, +100, +10000000000000000000000000000000000000
YES.
GOD DAMN I HATE RANDOM WAR DECLARATIONS.
The game is like, "If you are not at war, lets spin the wheeeeeeeeeeeeel of mayhem!"
There is no peace time. You can't raise your armies or do just about anything because everyone, including you, is constantly at a never ending war.
This makes a lot of things unbearable.
Specially the random war and peace thing.
I CAN START MY OWN WARS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I am great at doing that, really... so that makes me extremely angry when the game suddenly hands me a random war.
Then I load a previous save, wait a while and... nope, no war.
Like, why did they declare war against me, then?!
Everything happens completely at random in this game with no way to stop or avoid it as there is no reason to begin with, and that completely ruins the experience.

Peace is important both to the player and to the NPC kingdoms.
War will happen naturally. And computer nations should start wars with reason behind them, not at random... The same with peace.
It needs to happen and there needs to be an actual reason behind them, not just suddenly out of nowhere and if you load a save, it does not repeat itself.

Some degree of randomness can make certain things fun, but for other things, its just mayhem and completely ruins your joy.

We also need those quests again that you can get from important town people (guild master in Warband) and lords that let you END or START wars. You know, "please convince X and Y lord of the two kingdoms to agree to peace! The merchants can't go on in times of war like this. Think o the economy!"

Political / diplomatic intrigues at least like in Warband when? :grin:

There is also one very big aspect about "war" that there seems to be no grasp within the game.

This might be weird for some to understand but:
"Its not because you are at war that it means that you should be fighting."

War is a declaration of enmity among nations, but there are "peaceful periods within wars", which is to say armistices and cease fires.
Declared or undeclared.

Even during a war there may be long periods without a single battle starting from either sides, yet, both sides are still enemies.

This should also fit within a "peacetime"...

There is also one very big aspect about "war" that there seems to be no grasp within the game.

This might be weird for some to understand but:
"Its not because you are at war that it means that you should be fighting."

War is a declaration of enmity among nations, but there are "peaceful periods within wars", which is to say armistices and cease fires.
Declared or undeclared.

Even during a war there may be long periods without a single battle starting from either sides, yet, both sides are still enemies.

This should also fit within a "peacetime"...

That's good point. War goals and "campaigns" for armies, tied into the seasonal mechanic, could go in this direction if desired.

war cooldown time would help, declaring peace should mean an automatic 30 day ceasefire minimum and longer treaties and alliances should be a thing too. seems like every other day people are declaring war on me. I don't mind one at a time but it gets ridiculous.

Oh yeah, it's absolutely skewed the wrong way. Either they need to swap it or rename it to Casualties Sustained/Suffered/whatever-appropriate.

But there's several things that still need fixing - such as you get notifications of Armies being created, policies being decided and - once in a very rare while - peace being declared. But there's no actual notification of war being declared! I also do get notifications that my villages are being raided - but I wasn't informed that I had been given the fief to begin with!

Beyond the obvious I'd also like notifications as to the fate of armies - when and why they are disbanded and/or possibly defeated (though the text alert at the bottom left is a bit harder to miss in this case) and if the Senate policy is carried in a Kingdom, could clans propose and vote on War and Peace declarations?

I've had some further thoughts on the mechanics of war. It's obvious from the conversations you have with the Lords about Pendriac - or whatever it's called - that almost every Kingdom is set up to have clan leaders who dislike their current King. I think they're really gearing up for the Civil War mechanic later where this will mean a lot more, but perhaps to that end, wars that go badly, or at least see a lot of casualties, could make a King intently unpopular with certain vassals? It might cause some to be keen to seek peace, then keep out of wars for a while? Then they could follow domestic policies like those already suggested in this thread to try and win the vassals and/or public back over? Of course, certain Kings with certain personalities won't care about that, and some might even seek war to boost their popularity.

It'd also be good if certain Kingdoms/Kings have overlying objectives. While you think the Imperial factions will be inherently keen to ultimately dominate one another, and presumably would like to conquer all of Calradia again at some point, some other factions, you would think, would be much more focused on their own part of the world and act much more defensively. Battania, to me, is a great example. It shouldn't care as to take over the entire Southern Empire, or the ever-frozen Sturgia, perhaps, but heaven help anyone who tries to encroach on its turf. It can still go to war with said factions, but then, hopefully, not every war will automatically be a war of conquest and, furthermore, with attrition and weariness mechanics, last all that long.

Maybe resources can play a bigger factor in it as well? Someone could correct me, but as far as I can tell, the only Sturgian village that produces horses is Nevyansk, which is lost to Vlandia on Day One because they're at war by default and because Nevyansk is cut off there's nothing Sturgia can do about it. So does Sturgia a) have a war with Vlandia that focuses entirely on Nevyansk; b) try to take over someone else's fief to acquire other horses; c) periodically raid said fiefs to steal horses and/or d) try to enter some form of trade agreement to secure more horses, otherwise suffer from limited cavalry and unit speed in the interim?

You can swap horses for some other precious commodity. It might be a bit of an ask to suggest that a Kingdom/player needs particular resources in order to upgrade infantry to certain tiers though ("sorry, you require 14 iron to give your new Falxmen the Falx swords they require...")

On the subject of raiding - perhaps Kingdoms that don't like each other can raid each other's villages from time to time without actually going to war? If some AI lord, or mercenary leader, raids one of your villages - preferably a border one, it'd be stupid for them to raid deep inside enemy territory - you could then petition your King. Depending on how much influence, relationship or charm you have, you could rally the Kingdom to war, or have the King's blessing to retaliate. Or he could be very weary and refuse to help out, forcing you to spend more time consolidating your own fief, building up your militia, sticking around longer to patrol - or maybe have a companion lead a patrol - and playing the long-game.

If you were the one to raid to begin with, then you could risk losing influence or possibly be thrown out of the Kingdom for recklessly endangering it. Same could apply to an AI lord. That is, the King might secretly be cheering you on though, or even asking you to do it...

I think I might be making things sound way too complicated so tl:dr; while the thread is all about promoting longer peace, which I support, my suggestion is for wars to not only have weariness factored in before they do (or don't) start, but also have specific objectives to them which should limit their frequency, their length and their overall impact on the campaign world.

I absoultely second this. These kinds of interaction is what game needs to have to write a solid medieval story with all kinds of ways. Especially the politics aspect of it in which a king can choose to be stubborn or plain bad preferably due to his/her traits and continue to the oppresive governing or enacts policies which calms vassals down.

To make these kinds of matters well grounded again I agree kingdoms should have objectives and reasons for going to war, in turn according to how successful the kindgdom in the war relevant to those, things can go well or sour internally.

Lord relationships should be much more interactive on helping each other in all aspects weather it's war or peace time like trading, defending or passing policies etc.

I get lots of joy even in this state but if combat will be all we do constantly I can see myself getting bored sooner rather than later although which I don't think it will stay this way. There are excellent possibilites to have a masterpiece hopefully. This needs to be made with sane ciriticism without being impatient or sentimental.

Edit: Corrections

Last edited:
I agree.

To be fair I don't think the diplomacy element of the game is even 50% done.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that it could be TW stress testing the war mechanic to the extreme so they know their game 'world' can handle perpetual war.

I'm hoping that the diplomacy / influence / relations aspect of the game is going to be massively developed to include many of the things the OP mentioned, proper peacetime with things to do during that peace to improve your standing financially, martially, and politically.

I'd also like to see other things like:

Rebellion / revolt / civil unrest if you mismanage your kingdom
Civil war when a vassal decides he wants to be top dog (should be a rare and well signposted occurrence)
Better implementation of the bandit / looter mechanic and use of militia / patrols
Envoy and diplomatic missions
Crusades - perhaps not religious but for a common cause
Trade routes and the protection thereof
etc...

There should be plenty of things to do in this game other than smash the granny out of everyone with a different coloured banner to yours.

I'd also like there to be some rules of engagement. e.g. both parties agree to leave the people of both nations out of the equation so there is no raiding of villages, attacking villagers or caravans. Of course you could both decide that the enmity is severe enough that it's a "no hold's barred" sort of war and anything that bears the enemy flag is fair game.

Last edited:
It is also the reason why massive Recruit armies are happening. The AI has no time to take a breather and hunt some bandits or looters... they just march around in armies all game long and that's why you get stuff like this:

pYQATpc.png

It's actually hilarious to see an entire siege full of recruits getting annihilated by the militia archers.

Even with the fixes, almost every kindgom starts the game at war, and then stays at war pretty much until they get wiped out. This really needs to change. Not just because it feeds the snowballing and increases the pace massively, but also because Lords and Kingdoms need time to rebuild their armies and garrisons, and they just can't do that if they're in 2+ wars at all times. As it stands, all the Lords end up with 70% peasant armies and all the castles have bare-bones garrisons (also mostly peasants) after just a few years in-game.

For peacetime to be a thing, though, there needs to be stuff for Lords to do at peace, so here are a few ideas:
-Tournaments
-Feasts
-Grand Tournaments (Big tournament like a feast where all the Lords show up with much bigger prizes and influence rewards)
-Recruitment
-Bandit/Rebel Hunting (to train troops)
-Building Garrisons
-Developing Fiefs

Just a few things. I think this would make wars a lot more fun and impactful when both sides are going into it with full garrisons and armies, while also slowing the overall pace of conquest to help support the intended timeframe of the game instead of having everything be effectively over by 1088 every time.

yeah, i'm in the khergit faction and we spend years in a war with aserai, i got 2 castles and the war finally over, i though "time for develop my fiefs and raise my army" but no, i was in the other side of the world and a war against southern empire began and i won a city, i dont even had army to keep 1 castle... i miss warband in that case, the game let you evolve after you become lord of somewhere, in bannerlord its fief and war, at least with me, the king don't think "we dont have soldiers" or "He doesn't have soldiers to keep this city", just give you and is it.

Back
Top Bottom