PC Specs for highest possible battle size with decent performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

dlphelan

Recruit
If one were to build a PC (or maybe upgrade components) to get to the largest possible number of troops at once, what pieces would be the most important?  Since it's a 32bit .exe, it seems like there's diminishing returns for large amounts of RAM.  Fast video card?  Speedy processor?  SSDs?  What's the biggest factor?

Also, what are some of the larger playable battle sizes people have attained using Floris?  By playable I mean, generally smooth with occassional slow-downs but no slide shows :smile:

Thanks for the info!

David

I wouldnt get too excited about it... It seems that Warband has terrible resource allocation... I have a very beefy system but for some reason I get crap performance out of this game... Where as others on this forum have way crapper machines than myself and get great performance...

It really is that random... It makes no sense if you ask me... And is one of the main things I wish Taleworlds would fix..

Let me put it this way, with all the tricks applied... In a massive battle where my FPS get to below 10fps... My ram is sitting at 45%, my CPU barely reach 30% on any of the cores... GPU is near non existant...

It simply just doesnt use the resources available.

I comfortably play with a 404 battle size and 150 bodies in 1920x1200 on high video settings with what would now probably be considered an old system:

Vista 64-bit
Wolfdale e8400 Dual Core CPU overclocked @ 4.0 GHz
XFX GTX 275
4gb 1066 MHz DDR2 @ low latency timings
Game installed on 300gb Velociraptor

I might try a higher battle size as I have no problems with this. I find watching cpu and ram performance that RAM remains around 80% and the CPU is almost always just using the first core, with a very small part of the second core being used. As such it feels like an overclocked dual core like mine is actually better for this game than a quad-core at 3 GHz would be. There doesn't seem to be much/any multi-core optimisation.

My point exactly lol. My system exceeds the above by quite a bit and yet plays it like ass...

It really is a fickle beast...

Windows 7 64bit
E8400 @ 3,8 GHz (must OC it more but my motherboard and RAM are being arses)
ASUS 5870 1GB (11.5 drivers)
4 GB DDR II RAM 800 MHz

Battle sizes of 400, no problem at all. Settings are highest ofc.

dlphelan said:
If one were to build a PC (or maybe upgrade components) to get to the largest possible number of troops at once, what pieces would be the most important?  Since it's a 32bit .exe, it seems like there's diminishing returns for large amounts of RAM.  Fast video card?  Speedy processor?  SSDs?  What's the biggest factor?

Also, what are some of the larger playable battle sizes people have attained using Floris?  By playable I mean, generally smooth with occassional slow-downs but no slide shows :smile:

Thanks for the info!

David

you can help MnB address more than the 2gb limit using a few tricks, they are posted in the FAQ.  its still basically limited to 3gb though even with those tricks.
so dont count RAM out.
fast RAM is also good to have.

though - end all be all, i would have to say that video memory is the most important factor, and of course a fast vid card.

my machine is fairly new, built it after winter break.  amd 555 ([email protected]), 6gb DDR3 1600mhz corsair XMS3, but most importantly for MnB has been the 2gb radeon6970.  i still get low FPS but, im playing at max settings (only shadows are low - i dont care about shadows much and they are serious resource hogs), with 300 battle size.  1920 res too.
its quite beautiful, actually.  but in specific maps, and when im in the thick of big battles after hundreds of corpses are on the ground (or rather, their weapons hehe) my fps can drop below 30 quite often.

there's also tons of memory leaks in this game that trigger off on specific maps, or in certain battle situations.  fighting in castles can trigger it quite often.  fortunately it has adequately good memory cleanup so after battles it tends to wipe the memory used each time, but ive heard alot of people say that the game progressively bogs down and will eventually lag out for them after a few hours, needing a restart to continue playing.
i dont have that problem myself for some reason, guess im lucky.

i really dont think with floris you will be able to run it flawlessly on any computer with really big battle size.  the limit on address space and the clunkiness of the engine is going to max out its available resource space quickly in any scenario.
i know that at 500 battle size you are going to more or less instantly have performance issues as soon as 2 big armies get into a fight.  i tried it at 500 and had a fight with 1900 troops on my side and 2300 troops on enemy side, and it actually crashed before it was over (thats what taught me to turn down the default 20 reinforcement waves setting in floris mod options.  way too many.  i use 10 now with 300 battle size, and that still pushes it sometimes).

For the guy that asked about the drivers. I use the newest video drivers, always. Atm it is 11.5

Though I have a question, anyone else with buggy graphics? For eg. when you are on the map the lands in distance get messed up sometimes, or you cannot see trees, tows etc., sometimes this also happens during combat.

Never seen that before mate, although my screen goes black for a couple of seconds every time I enter a tavern since I updated my Nvidia drivers.
Did it do that with your old drivers?

Ottis said:
Battle sizes of 400, no problem at all. Settings are highest ofc.

How well do sieges work at that size with the altered castles included with this mod pack?

I found in Native that somewhere around 300 or 350 troops, sieges started getting increasingly screwed up due to overcrowding.  Defenders would start falling off the walls, attackers would get stuck on terrain features, etc.

If these issues don't happen for you, that would be a compelling reason for me to install the full castle upgrade.

Ottis said:
Though I have a question, anyone else with buggy graphics? For eg. when you are on the map the lands in distance get messed up sometimes, or you cannot see trees, tows etc., sometimes this also happens during combat.

Same here, all I do is press Alt+Tab switching to the desktop and then back to Warband, fixes the problem but it gets really annoying when you have to do it constantly.

Back
Top Bottom