PBOD or not PBOD

PBOD or not PBOD.

• PBOD = fun, realism, roleplaying and whatever was good about fighting a battle in Perisno 0.8.

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • I do not know or I do not care or even both.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I do not like PBOD. ( You will be chased by all special spawns as long as you do not change your vot

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • What is PBOD? I have played only Perisno 0.9.( You do not know what you missed )

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • My PC could/ can not handle it. ( You are forgiven )

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't miss PBOD. I never used most of its features and I don't like how cautious it makes most armies. I always used the No-PBOD version.

I also don't like the bodyguard feature. It would be great if it was limited to one or at most two bodyguards, but by the mid-game when you've got really high renown, you wind up with all of your companions trying to jam into taverns and just getting in your way all the time.

I always played .8 with PBOD, mostly because it allowed me to reconfigure shield controls to my liking, and let me control my troops in ways that I think the non-PBOD version did not.  I may have just been missing something.

The bodyguards make some things easier.  Their main effect, in my games, is that they let me channel experience to specific companions, i.e. level my wife by letting her rack kills in lord rescues.  Once I reduced the relevant troops numbers in three castles to 0 via lord escape attempts, and leveled my Tanja a few times, even though she was in her mid levels.  I play with home rules that do not let me join a faction or take land, so I have to come up with unorthodox ways of weakening garrisons. 

---

For those who wonder.  If you knock the escaping lord before you finish off the guards, he stays in, so you can assault the jail again, but the number of the troops used as guards decreases.  This eventually stops working but, when the fief runs of the specific troop types, but you can kill still hundreds of troops in batches of 12.  And with careful planning (and shooting at legs) you can channel all of this experience to some of your bodyguards.  Having Oscar's pretty daughter dispatching Zahn like vermin is a sight to behold.

The only thing I used PBOD for was, wait for it, horse archers. With the new AI it's pretty much redundant as far as I'm concerned, and it's a monster resource hog to boot.

On top of that I dunno if mine was a single case, but cav archers commanded to skirmish routed like crazy, and since the game insisted on counting routed units as dead my troops' morale was permanently in the dumpster.

I do agree that the lack of bodyguards sucks but at the same time Lord Irontoe makes a fair point - those ****ers can really get on your nerves late-game. :razz:

I've yet to do any "free lord from prison quests" but I doubt it's anything an MW Dwarven Crossbow can't  handle.  :twisted:

rnaD86 said:
I've yet to do any "free lord from prison quests" but I doubt it's anything an MW Dwarven Crossbow can't  handle.  :twisted:
Is there something that it can't handle?  :iamamoron:
I have killed countless foes ( mostly Zann ) with that crossbow.

I vote PBOD please.

I understand devs work hard on this mod and its appreciated.

If there is a way to put PBOD in the next iteration it would be awesome. Just adds that depth and control that really makes the Perisno experience shine imo.

The PBOD was more of a hindrance than anything.  The formations were much less effective than just waiting for the enemy to come and hitting charge.  I should clarify and say it wasn't worth the effort and time to try and set formations as the AI was too stupid to make use of the formations and really doesn't matter when you have good troops anyway.

Dago Wolfrider said:
:meh: You already have a PBOD less version. :meh:
:wink:  :roll:  :wink:

Indeed. That's been a given since ... late 0.7ish? 0.8-ish? I was happy to see it gone. :mrgreen:
To elaborate a little:
IF it is decided to bring PBOD back, I would personally like to see a parallel version released WITHOUT PBOD. (How workable that may be, I have no idea.)
That being said, the devs should do what best fits their vision for Perisno.
IIRC, PBOD does not play well with the mod in general, so they have to weigh the relative merits.
Regardless, Perisno will remain on my list of mods that have high replay value for me. :mrgreen:

Hello guys, i'm new to Perisno and would need some help answering a couple questions and with your opinion as veteran players.
I've started playing perisno for the first time in 0.9 and i'm ABSOLUTELLY loving the huge amout of content and specially factions (PoP for example is great but only 5 factions kills me..)
The only thing I dislike from perisno is enemy battle AI. As i have tested there's only 2 options: (1) you can set enemy lords to insta charge or (2) They set up in a strait line and start to act really akwardly, moving slowly but with a formation with no sense.
Other mods like floris add enemy battle AI formations with great results (skirmish mode is exploitable, but you can make enemy AI not use it)
Also I've heard Persino used to use this battle formations too. So here go my questions:
- Why does Perisno not use battle AI?
- Is there a previous version of Perisno I can download that uses this enemy battle AI? Is this version good to play or is it too clunky (and that's why it got capped in the first time)? Does this version use the "new" Horse Archer AI or are you limited to clunky skirmish mode :S ?
- Is there some way in Perisno 0.9 to make enemy AI smarter?
- Finally, what is in your opinion the best Perisno version out there and (if possible) why?
Thanks for your help! looking forward to read your answers!

pakinov said:
Hello guys, i'm new to Perisno and would need some help answering a couple questions and with your opinion as veteran players.
I've started playing perisno for the first time in 0.9 and i'm ABSOLUTELLY loving the huge amout of content and specially factions (PoP for example is great but only 5 factions kills me..)
The only thing I dislike from perisno is enemy battle AI. As i have tested there's only 2 options: (1) you can set enemy lords to insta charge or (2) They set up in a strait line and start to act really akwardly, moving slowly but with a formation with no sense.
Other mods like floris add enemy battle AI formations with great results (skirmish mode is exploitable, but you can make enemy AI not use it)
Also I've heard Persino used to use this battle formations too. So here go my questions:
- Why does Perisno not use battle AI?
- Is there a previous version of Perisno I can download that uses this enemy battle AI? Is this version good to play or is it too clunky (and that's why it got capped in the first time)? Does this version use the "new" Horse Archer AI or are you limited to clunky skirmish mode :S ?
- Is there some way in Perisno 0.9 to make enemy AI smarter?
- Finally, what is in your opinion the best Perisno version out there and (if possible) why?
Thanks for your help! looking forward to read your answers!

As far as I know Perisno 0.9 does not have PBOD mainly because not all PCs can handle it well and stuff like this. You should ask Leonion for the specific reasons. Perisno 0.81 is more than playable and it is my favourite Perisno version so far thanks to PBOD. It is insanely funny and addictive, there only are some bugs concerning some special quests and you can not do the Adventurer Guild's quests. Nevertheless Perisno 0.9 add tons of wonderful and amazing features. I can add some links concerning them in order to highlight the main differences , if you want. No, Perisno 0. 81 has not the improved Horse Archer AI.

All in all the real best Perisno version would be Perisno 0.9 + PBOD.

Note: PBOD do not improve much the AI's intelligence in most cases, by the way. It makes battles more realistic and funny though.

P. S.  :party: Happy registration day and welcome to Perisno's community  :party:

Sure! I'd love to know the new improvements of 0.9 related to 0.81! the more information the better. Specially I wan't to know if in 0.81 you can make your own troops like it seems you can in 0.9 (havn't advanced much in the game so can't say)
I was really hyped playing 0.9 but got toned down by the "non AI formations" system, so now i'm thinking of trying 0.8 but the no "advanced horse archer AI" makes me doubt xD
How did you personally manage HA in 0.81? Or did u not use them? In floris i usually used them as a light melee / range cav, sitting in the back of the enemy and firing a little and after mele charging archers.
Also in 0.9 do you play with "CHAAAARGE!" or without?
Finally, in 0.81 you say AI is not improved, but at least enemies use "realistic formations" similar to floris, right?
Thanks for your fast reply, and I'd love to see a 0.9 with PBOD, hope it comes soon!  :ohdear: :ohdear:

Back
Top Bottom