[Outdated] Obj file to strategic map converter

Users who are viewing this thread

heh i tried the other convertor with this setings but with that i see just blank space
damn ive downloaded your map and seems to work just fine .. dunno what im doin rong

heh i think ive bothered you enough but just one small problem ...well this map seems to work in game just fine and is a bit larger but my character now can walk on water(ive rather name it Jesus from the start) .. i did not put mountains on this map but is guess he can walk over mountains asswell

I think that would be due to texture settings, they seem to determine what terrain is passable or not.  If you have the latest version of Wings3D and you're doing an export with the settings in the screen capture I included, I'm not really sure what could be going wrong.  :sad:

I also checked the compatibility with 3dsMax 9 and it works if you export the file with normal vectors
That's a quote from the first post.

...my character now can walk on water
You said you have used 'deep_ocean' material. Normally it is used as a deep water sorrounded by shallow waters so there is no need for game to check if you are entering deep water or not. Try different material and it should work. The game just treat 'deep_ocean' like a normal terrain.

is like the map is rotated with 90degres
So rotate it and export again :smile: In Wings just check 'swap y and z axis' (or something like that) during export.

only 3dsmax settings that worked for me.
settingsi.jpg

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. It's going to take some getting used to but I could see this becoming pretty powerful.

there are a lot of free 3d terrain generators available (and if they don't export as .obj, there are plenty of converters available)

these are a good starting point for making a map if you have limited modelling knowledge or want a more natural look without having to do lots of work

L3DT's standard version is free and exports .obj files download here and it can generate maps of 2000km x 2000km and features lots of editing tools if the coastlines or mountain ranges aren't exactly where you want them

these are 2 views from a map I made and edited in about 30 minutes (although that is only about 1 quarter of the map, the rest is too far away to see)
test1.jpg
test2.jpg

if that doesn't suit you, try a google search for terrain generators and you will eventually find one that you can get on with

edit to add, this could probably be used to create the terrain for scenes as well

That is a powerful tool, but it seems that it's still 'lots of work' figuring out how to get it to generate a correctly sized and proportioned obj model.  :sad:  Or at least more work than I was hoping.

@Bloodpass
your tool is relly great:smile:....but i wana ask you somthing ...can you put in it somthing like ..lets say an material  called custom or somthing and be able to convert my custom texture i made in 3ds max and to apear in game?....i dont know exactly how this works but if you can do this ...this tool will be huge(figurativ)..and if you can, maibe put 2 custom materials so i can put my texture

tnx ..with respect Clau

edited..:razz:
Basicly i need this for some buildings made withind the map...like if i have the map of eagipt and i made the sphinx within the map i wana put some stone texture on it for apearance ..hero will never battle on my custom texture so make the matearial unpassable

Is it possible to add new terrain (codes) to the map?  Replacing textures with better quality textures is one thing but I'm not sure about new texture codes.

It would be easy enough to add to the list of texture codes these tools use (or put them into a config.txt file), but I don't know how the game would link them to an actual texture (actually I think texture coordinates in M&B's case since I believe all these "textures" are mapped to only 4 different actual textures).  Every texture has a matching code, ex. plain = 3, desert = 5, forest = 11, etc. and AFAIK those are hard coded unless someone knows of a way to add new codes/textures.

But maybe steppe_mountain would work in your case?

hi everyone i have a problem when i convert the map....
the txt map have 1.797 kb and when i converted them the map have 6 kb... so when i put into the game if i try to create a new player the game
never start if i load a character the game run but the map is not the map i made... they have errors the game see slowly.... so what is the problem?
anyone help me please

when i put the map in the game thats hapend
mbwarband20100613002558.png
when you start a game thaths hapend and you canot move any one help please

To answer your guy's question about adding new types of terrain. Currently, as it has always been, the answer is no. The terrain types available have been the same ones and they're hardcoded in.

As for your walking over water and mountains, I believe you have to put in the invisible boundaries around those areas in order to prevent the player/other parties from going over them.

azote said:
hi everyone i have a problem when i convert the map....
the txt map have 1.797 kb and when i converted them the map have 6 kb... so when i put into the game if i try to create a new player the game
never start if i load a character the game run but the map is not the map i made... they have errors the game see slowly.... so what is the problem?
anyone help me please

You'll have to post the file(s) for someone to figure out what's going on.  It's odd that the file size got larger, but that might just be extra precision being put into the txt file.  Did you try both converter versions? (.net/java)

ive fix the problem of walking over mountain and water by loading the map into old thorgrim map editor and adding few textures of mountains and edge of water/plain....hope this helps

I have only a simple question.

What is the map max size in Warband?
Because in the original Mount & Blade the modders are talking about 100k of triangle limits, but it seems that in warband that limit is expanded.

Pd: forget my english

Kodran said:
I have only a simple question.

What is the map max size in Warband?
Because in the original Mount & Blade the modders are talking about 100k of triangle limits, but it seems that in warband that limit is expanded.

Pd: forget my english

I spent sometime experimenting with basic flat maps in Wings3D to find out how large and small a map area you can realistically use for your world map. Wings3D can display surface area of a single selected face in a model. The default wings project that comes with this converter seems to generate a huge surface area in that funny looking multicolored sample model of around of 644k. Way more then needed. I Made my first map with a surface area of 129k and even that is to big. You get an odd effect on big maps the camera wont fly out past a certain point it just stops. You can keep Cheating your player icon past the camera limit point.

I kept downsizing my maps surface area's till I finally hit game errors. The default game map seems to have a need of at least 7k surface area to include all current city/towns. However once I hit the errors no matter how big I made the maps again the errors seemed to not go away. I needed to reload the original wings project that came with the converter program before I was able to generate a map that warband liked again. I think the geometry in my sample maps was causing the troubles for the game after I reached the low surface area problem. So after experimenting some more I'd say a good range to craft your maps surface area to would be 25k (for big and safe) to around 15k - 18k (for I can see the edge of the world) I understand all this is also based on the export scale use when making the map.obj file.

If you make a cube and Uniform Scale it to around 8000% you'll get a nice 25.6k surface area per face. Should make for a good starting point to making a map.  :mrgreen:

Hope this info helps...

Did anyone consider making a small program that would achieve the opposite?  I know I can get the obj file from Thorgrim's map editor but assigning the materials for a large map is a huge pain :wink:

If you could add support for the 'ford' terrain type.  It's defined as rt_bridge I believe, neither the java nor Tul's tools support it :sad:

GameDrifter thanks, but it seems that i didn´t explain myself correctly.

I made map about 2000x2000 (px) already, but the problem are with the borders of the visible area (400x400), in tholgrim map you can modify that whit the red and yellow lines, you just have to move it.
But whith "Obj file to strategic map converter" the borders seems to be fixed

So, the correct question is:

How you can change the border limits?

The map in warband is much more larger than in Mount&blade, but you can change the limit whit this tool

Hrm, so I wrote the tool from scratch. Tul's tool triangulation created some weird faces for me and the java version didn't understand some terrain types so here it is.

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2220

Back
Top Bottom