NPC vassal skills

Users who are viewing this thread

Question:  Which skills do NPC vassals use, and which go unused?

I've been playing/following M&B since it was version like .510 practically a decade ago (and I think I had a forum account then?), but I signed up here today just to ask this question.  It's a question that I know has been asked many times, then and now; and I just did some googling and forum searching and I'm finding a few people asking it and receiving dubious answers.  Ideally I could get someone who knows the code to give an affirmative list of skills that actually affect NPCs, especially in resolving autocalculated battles. 

Of course the primary reason I'm asking this question is to determine what skills are most worth increasing on a hero companion who you plan to award a title. 

To show I'm serious about this subject getting completed, I'll put down what I think, what I know, and the rumors I've read over the years about each specific skill.

----------------------------------------------------

Ironflesh
Speaking of rumors over the years... I'd have expected this to be useless, but in M&B's early days I heard autocalculate weighted this heavily to determine whether or not to knock out a Lord in autocombat.  If true, that means this is actually a high-tier NPC skill, since lords tend to run and hide in castles after being knocked out.
Power Strike
I think it does nothing.
Power Throw
I think it does nothing.
Power Draw
I think it does nothing.
Weapon Master
I think it does nothing.
Athletics
All lords are automatically given horses for battle.  Interestingly enough, I imagine it's theoretically possible that if no horse is equipped outside of battle that this could increase their overworld map movement speed because they're considered unmounted.  That would make this only mostly useless, not totally useless. 
Riding
Useful-ish by increasing overworld map movement speed (but I don't think anywhere near on the level of Pathfinding... right?)
Horse Archery
I think it does nothing.
Looting
Speeds up looting of villages.  I didn't even think of that because I never loot villages.  Unconfirmed to work, but I guess there's no reason to think it wouldn't.  I guess there's a reason to believe this could also increase the wealth that NPCs gain from won battles.
Trainer
I thought it did nothing, but I found an ancient thread about vanilla M&B where someone said they gave a hundred recruits to a few different vassals and their Alayen with 3 Trainer was upgrading troops quicker than a Ymira with 1 Training, or something like that.  Others here seem to think this is true, that it works.
Tracking
I think it does nothing.
Tactics
The consensus seems to be that this does affect autocalculated battles, although I hadn't thought so before.  If so, this should be an extremely important skill.  Really need confirmation.
Path-finding
Hugely beneficial.  I consider it the most important skill for heroes you're making into vassals.  Necessary for vassals to chase down weaker enemies and avoid stronger ones.  Confirmed to work.
Spotting
I heard long ago that it benefits NPC leaders same as the player.  If true, increased vision will greatly help NPCs chase and avoid (should also help vassals see allied vassals so they don't run so quick when they have backup, so they engage in winning battles even more often... you know this happens a lot.)  Should be very useful, but unconfirmed.
Inventory Management
I can't imagine a way that this isn't useless.
Wound Treatment
I heard long ago that this increases healing as it should.  I've always assumed this is true.
Surgery
I heard long ago that this shamefully does not affect autocalculated battles whatsoever (and that word was from a coder, I believe, although tbh this might have changed in later versions).  Apparently others have decided it does affect autocalculated battles.  Still up in the air.  I know that whether or not enemies are killed or wounded in battles is heavily randomized, so I imagine it would be very hard to tell.  I'm assuming for now this doesn't work.
First Aid
I think this does nothing (and if it does do what it's supposed to, it still won't be good because an NPC will only ever have one unit affected by this, himself)
Engineer
I think this improves siege times.  Unconfirmed.
Persuasion
I think this does nothing.
Prisoner Management
I think this does nothing.  I know that NPCs don't have prisoner maximums (or at least not sane maximums; I've seen 500+, when this skill at 10 only allows 50...)  It might reduce the chance of captured lords escaping their party as it does for the player, but it would still be useless.
Leadership
I've heard this significantly affects NPC party size, even more than it affects the player's party size (ie., enemy gets more than +5 per leadership point).  It would have to to be any use.  Either way, unconfirmed.  It could also reduce how much their troops cost to upkeep, if NPCs even have to spend money on troop upkeep, which I don't know.
Trade
I think this does nothing.

Of course all combat skills can be used by NPC vassals... if you are in a battle with them present.  I know they'll gain more proficiencies from Weapon Mastery, too, for example, when you're in battle with them.  Otherwise, I think all but Ironflesh (and that's debatable) are useless.  It would be great to know if having Power Draw of 6 and a Strong War Bow on one actually makes him rack up kills faster.  (Equipment has no effect on autoresolved combat, right?)

I agree with someone below that I think all skills that work for the Player on the map will affect NPC's on the map (except, I imagine, Tracking...)  The ones that are heavily debatable are the battle skills which aren't obvious that they get used in auto-calculated battles.

If we can get good, reliable information on this topic I'd like to edit OP and make it a go-to source for this info (and I'll go stick it all in the wiki too... I've waited years expecting someone else to put the info there, but it never came.)

As a final thought, if anyone ever looks at this who is part of M&B decision-making (there will be future versions/games, right?), I think it's a shame how much this aspect was overlooked.  Wouldn't it have been nice if NPC's had a tiny chance of randomly improving their armor after a battle or over time based on their Looting, Trading, and Inventory Management skills?  Or maybe just let Inventory Management increase map speed?  Giving them a small multiplicative bonus with Pathfinding from their Tracking skill if they are chasing an enemy?  Really, you could find a way to make them all useful, or, if you don't want to do that, just like you have a label of "Party Skill", make a label of "Vassal Skill" or something, to tag ones useful for vassals.

This is just my opinion, but based on the current analysis of the skills, this is the approximate order of importance of skills to level up for your hero companions who will be your vassals:

1) Path-finding
2) Trainer
3) Tactics
4) Wound Treatment
5) Ironflesh
6) Spotting
7) Looting
:cool: Engineering
9) Riding
10) Leadership
then everything else.  Some of them, like Surgery, if they turn out to work, deserve to be somewhere on the list.

I think that list makes it clear you want INT>AGI>STR>CHA, but again, just my opinion.  I could understand CHA>STR arguments, but I'd disagree.  I think CHA benefits are simply too low.

I can imagine Inventory Management, Looting, and Trade being useful, but you're probably right and they aren't.  If I were going to make a game like this, I'd make the Lords handle money just like the player. 

Another thing I'm curious about is what personality types they have as Lords.  I only like having Upstanding and Good-natured Lords because they such a high starting relation and don't get jealous of other people's fiefs so easy.  Of course, there's some disagreement about Lord's personality types.  I use the Diplomacy mod and you can see them in the relationships report.  They're Upstanding, Good-natured, Martial, Cunning, Pitiless, Sadistic, and Bad-Tempered.  But on some comment threads people have Quarrelsome instead of Bad-Tempered and leave off Pitiless and Sadistic.  I don't understand why.

I'm sure Alayen is Upstanding.  Matheld probably is too.  I'll bet Nizar and Ymira are Good-natured.  I'll bet Lezalit and Klethi are Sadistic.  Deshavi is probably Bad-Tempered (She doesn't even like her loyal friend Klethi).  Rolf is probably Pitiless.  I wouldn't even know what to guess about the others. 

michaelvillena said:
http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Heroes

Thanks, but that's the other set of personality types that aren't consistent with the Diplomacy report.  I guess Calculating is the equivalent of Cunning and Quarrelsome is the equivalent of Bad-Tempered.  But debauched and self-righteous don't seem to have equivalents. 

I'm not sure where that wiki got its information.

In the module_scripts folder every companion gets a lord_reputation_type.
The companions that are nobles get personalities that are the same as other npc nobles.
The companions that are commoners get a different set of personalities.
For example Borcha is roguish.
(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc1", slot_lord_reputation_type, lrep_roguish), #borcha
and Matheld is martial
(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc8", slot_lord_reputation_type, lrep_martial), #matheld

I have not tested it but I am pretty sure that if you reversed these then made them both lords the other npc lords would accept Borcha as one of them and complain about Matheld being a commoner.

Anyway, here is the list of what they are in the module_scripts folder

Borcha...roguish
Marnid...custodian
Ymira...benefactor
Rolf...cunning
Beheshtur...cunning
Firentis...upstanding
Deshavi...custodian
Matheld...martial
Alayen,,,martial
Bunduk...benefactor
Katrin...custodian
Jeremus...benefactor
Nizar...roguish
Lezalit...selfrighteous
Artimenner...custodian
Klethi...roguish

blainedeyoung said:
michaelvillena said:
http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Heroes

Thanks, but that's the other set of personality types that aren't consistent with the Diplomacy report.  I guess Calculating is the equivalent of Cunning and Quarrelsome is the equivalent of Bad-Tempered.  But debauched and self-righteous don't seem to have equivalents.

There are random debauched or quarrelsome lords in the game.  They don't always appear with every new game start though.

Er, by the way, in case OP wasn't clear, if anyone has anything they think they know about the topic of OP (what skills NPC vassals use) that I seem to have missed or be unaware of, please say as much.  Or... if you know someone who would know... almost every one of these could use confirmation.  (I can't believe these details haven't gotten discovered in the decade the game's been out.)

Does anyone know if there's a simple way to stage battles with a lord?  Like set up a battle of a lord and fifty knights against fifty knights; give him 0 tactics in one and 10 tactics in the other, run the battle a dozen times and see if there's an obvious difference?

...ah, I hadn't expected these forums to be quite this dead.
Is it just because of the Bannerlord game being worked on?  or has everyone just moved on away from M&B?
I used to play M&B when it was Zendar and one town for each of four factions; oh how I wish I could play some Bannerlord beta |:

I have to say at OP, amen brother! I have been trying to learn something definite on this for years.

All I know for sure is that Pathfinding works, and most people say Leadership (I think each point increases their party size by 5), Tactics, Training and Spotting work too. Then I've seen contradictory statements on other skills. Someone said he was sure Looting makes them pillage villages faster, and someone said that he had tested to see that Surgery works for them in autocalc battles. I would have thought Surgery only works in actual battles, but who knows. Someone also said that Engineering works for them just as it does for the player, and I don't find that unlikely.

Eventually I might just do tests myself. I might be too lazy though.

Concerning Spotting, I'm wondering if I'd prefer my vassals to have no Spotting at all because I hate it when I'm trying to get them to follow me but they keep running away from some enemy party. In that situation I would prefer them to have as low spotting range as possible so they're closer to me.

After having thought about this a lot, I begin to suspect that all skills that affect the player's party in the overland map and autocalc battles also help npc lords the same way. If this hunch of mine is correct that would mean Looting (for pillaging villages), Trainer, Pathfinding, Spotting, Wound Treatment and Engineer skills should affect them. I do know the Tactics skill of an npc lord makes a difference at least when he's fighting against the player, because it's weighed against the player's Tactics skill.  I don't know if the Tracking skill would do anything for them.

P.s. Now I remember a story about somebody who wanted to cheat to see everything on the map but didn't know about the ctrl-t cheat. He used some other method which made it so not only he but every party on the map saw the entire map. The effect was reportedly hilarious because everyone was running away from someone even it they were on the other side of the map. So I can't see why giving your vassals Spotting skill would be a good thing. It just makes them run needlessly from things or chase something irrelevant they can't catch. Yup, I'm not giving them any Spotting.

Nikomakkos said:
P.s. Now I remember a story about somebody who wanted to cheat to see everything on the map but didn't know about the ctrl-t cheat. He used some other method which made it so not only he but every party on the map saw the entire map. The effect was reportedly hilarious because everyone was running away from someone even it they were on the other side of the map. So I can't see why giving your vassals Spotting skill would be a good thing. It just makes them run needlessly from things or chase something irrelevant they can't catch. Yup, I'm not giving them any Spotting.

Good thought.

Hmmm, I really think you're going the wrong way on spotting.  The AI is extremely simple.  When they spot enemies (and they aren't following someone or already retreating to a castle), they either charge straight at them, or run the opposite direction.  The AI only runs if it's clearly going to lose:  if the enemy's army is only, let's say, 8% bigger, they'll still charge right at each other.  While a higher spotting skill makes your vassal more likely to engage an even battle which will wreck his army, he's also more likely to spot enemy parties which could reinforce his enemy before that enemy party seems him and stops following, at which point, yes, he'd turn and run. 

When you combine this with Pathfinding, the ability to chase down running NPCs he clearly outnumbers, and outrun enemies that will destroy him, I think generally your vassals that last longer and grow far better armies, and then as a result, find more opponents they outmatch, chase them down, and defeat them.  That's how I see it anyway.

Every time your vassal with 80 troops spots that enemy khergit lord with 120 troops who hasn't seen him yet and runs the other way until the enemy is out of sight... ah, I can't see that being a bad thing.  Every time the vassal spots the bandits from a bit farther away and goes to engage them, boosting his coffers a bit and encouraging more recruiting, I can't see that a bad thing.

Now I place Spotting *after* Pathfinding, Tactics (which I'll assume from here on out works), Wound Treatment, Ironskin (which I also assume does what I heard)... but still I think it's worth it.

(If Surgery influences autocalculated battles then I think that was changed at some point, because that and Ironskin were the two I remembered hearing the unexpected confirmation from coders on, that Surgery does nothing and Ironskin reduces the chance of being knocked out.  But that was a long time ago.)

Occam said:
I'm not sure where that wiki got its information.

In the module_scripts folder every companion gets a lord_reputation_type.
The companions that are nobles get personalities that are the same as other npc nobles.
The companions that are commoners get a different set of personalities.
For example Borcha is roguish.
(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc1", slot_lord_reputation_type, lrep_roguish), #borcha
and Matheld is martial
(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc8", slot_lord_reputation_type, lrep_martial), #matheld

I have not tested it but I am pretty sure that if you reversed these then made them both lords the other npc lords would accept Borcha as one of them and complain about Matheld being a commoner.

If I wanted to guess, the wiki never really updated its information to the current Warband personalities for Heroes.  The personality types there are more consistent with the original M&B.

As for switching personalities between nobles and commoners.  Yes, it is as you said.  As stated in Malik Faris's Companion Creation tutorial (which was quoted from another post), it states that using certain personality types (between Martial and Upstanding) will allow them to be recognized as a noble while using the other three (benefactor, custodian, and roguish) are for commoners.

#"Martial" will be twice as common as the other types
lrep_none          = 0
lrep_martial        = 1 #chivalrous but not terribly empathetic or introspective, - eg Richard Lionheart, your average 14th century French baron
lrep_quarrelsome    = 2 #spiteful, cynical, a bit paranoid, possibly hotheaded - eg Robert Graves' Tiberius, some of Charles VI's uncles
lrep_selfrighteous  = 3 #coldblooded, moralizing, often cruel - eg William the Conqueror, Timur, Octavian, Aurangzeb (although he is arguably upstanding instead, particularly after his accession)
lrep_cunning        = 4 #coldblooded, pragmatic, amoral - eg Louis XI, Guiscard, Akbar Khan, Abd al-Aziz Ibn Saud
lrep_debauched      = 5 #spiteful, amoral, sadistic - eg Caligula, Tuchman's Charles of Navarre
lrep_goodnatured    = 6 #chivalrous, benevolent, perhaps a little too decent to be a good warlord - eg Hussein ibn Ali. Few well-known historical examples maybe. because many lack the drive to rise to faction leadership. Ranjit Singh has aspects
lrep_upstanding    = 7 #moralizing, benevolent, pragmatic, - eg Bernard Cornwell's Alfred, Charlemagne, Salah al-Din, Sher Shah Suri

lrep_roguish        = 8 #used for commons, specifically ex-companions. Tries to live life as a lord to the full
lrep_benefactor    = 9 #used for commons, specifically ex-companions. Tries to improve lot of folks on land
lrep_custodian      = 10 #used for commons, specifically ex-companions. Tries to maximize fief's earning potential

I got some pretty big news for y'all.

I just tested the Looting skill on Rolf as vassal and it made him loot a village quicker. First he had Looting 0 and it took him from dawn August 30th till midnight August 31st to loot the village. Then I loaded and gave him Looting 10 and it took him only till the afternoon the same day to loot it. Guess I'll try with Looting 5 now. My guess is it'll take until about dawn the next day or early morning.

EDIT: I might have jumped the gun. I'm not sure about the quality of this test anymore. With Looting 5 it took him basically the same time as with Looting 10, maybe a tiny bit longer. And then again with Looting 0 it took him only till Midnight August 30th this time. I think distractions factor in, I'm trying to keep him not distracted by dealing with everything instantly myself, but it's really hard. For example a group of Forest Bandits just spawned right there and that distracted him. So I don't know... Damn it!

OK, I'm not an expert on what the game code says, so take what I say with a grain of salt, since it's only backed up with observations, not hard data:

Ironflesh, Power Strike, Power Throw, Power Draw, Weapon Master:  I think rather than say these "do nothing," I'd say they're not useful party skills for a companion turned lord.  But they do for NPCs what they do for you as the player: improve their individual stats (health, how hard they hit, etc.).
Athletics has nothing to do with campaign map movement for companions turned lord (since they're automatically assigned horses), it only governs how fast they can move on foot in the battle map once they are unhorsed.
Riding: You're right in that Pathfinding has a much greater effect on campaign map speed than Riding.  Riding mostly governs what level horse you (and companions) can ride, and how quickly you can start, stop, and turn your horse on the battle map.
Horse Archery: this is another skill that is a useful personal skill, but not a skill that contributes to the effectiveness of a companion turned lord.
Looting: Interesting observation Nikomakkos made about it reducing the time it takes to loot a village!  Seems like it would be useful.
Trainer: oh, yeah: this is definitely a useful skill for a companion, whether they stay in your party or become a lord.
Tracking: not useful.
Tactics: this governs your battle advantage: how many soldiers you start with and how large your reinforcement waves are.  This is pretty useful for companions turned lords, even in autocalc battles where reinforcement between waves isn't an issue, as it will give them an advantage even if they're outnumbered  army-to-army, by a large amount if you level it up far enough!  I would make this, Pathfinding, and Trainer a priority.
Pathfinding: what you said. 
Spotting: This can indeed be useful, but I wouldn't give it priority.
Inventory Management: useless, as you say.
Wound Treatment: Increases your rate of healing.  Useful, but again: not a priority.
Surgery: I have no idea whether it works for autocalc battles; what it does in regular battles is increase the chance that an NPC will be knocked unconscious rather than killed.  It keeps you from having to replace as many soldiers, and is indispensable for you as the player to have this skill in your party.  However, since companions turned lords will always be "autocalc'ed" in battles that don't include you, I have no idea whether it is useful for them when they fight.
First Aid: This increases the amount of healing you and your companions do between waves of battle.  I actually don't know if this is useful for companions turned lords, but it seems like it would be, at least when they're participating in battles that you're fighting on the battle map.
Engineer:  this does improve siege times, substantially.  For you, the player, at 14 Engineering, it will take you 6 hours (if I remember correctly) to build a siege tower, and ladders will be instantaneous.  I'm not sure how your companions turned lord would fare at 10 Engineering (since they don't get the +4 bonus that you do).
Persuasion: not useful.
Prisoner Management: completely useless since, as you say, NPC lords have no prisoner max.
Leadership: this does help increase party size for everyone, you, AI lords, and companions turned lord.  It's very helpful to give companions turned lords as there is a significant gap between their party size as calculated from their renown and AI lords' party size as calculated from theirs.  However, companions turned lords will always lag behind both you and the other AI lords.
Trade: useless.

JosieJ said:
Looting: Interesting observation Nikomakkos made about it reducing the time it takes to loot a village!  Seems like it would be useful.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain of this yet, since my tests were flawed and I can't rule out randomness.

JosieJ said:
First Aid: This increases the amount of healing you and your companions do between waves of battle.  I actually don't know if this is useful for companions turned lords, but it seems like it would be, at least when they're participating in battles that you're fighting on the battle map.

In that case wouldn't your party's First Aid skill heal them? I don't think it would be useful for them, but I don't know.

JosieJ said:
Engineer:  this does improve siege times, substantially.  For you, the player, at 14 Engineering, it will take you 6 hours (if I remember correctly) to build a siege tower, and ladders will be instantaneous.  I'm not sure how your companions turned lord would fare at 10 Engineering (since they don't get the +4 bonus that you do).

Are you saying that you can confirm that having this skill reduces the time it takes for NPC lords to siege?

I agree with everything else you said, JosieJ.

Concerning this topic and the fact that they get much smaller party sizes, the former companions made vassals. I have a plan in mind in my current game, in which for the first time I'm grooming some of them to be lords (first time in Native, I've done it once in PoP and man, did that take ages). If I can get a town with many villages, such as Dhirim or Shariz, I might grant these companions those villages as their only fiefs, and have them as something half way between an AI lord and a companion. They would stay close to me and when I need them I can order them to follow me and they would fight with me just as they did when in my party, except this time they bring their own troops adding substantially to my party size. It's just too bad they don't spawn entirely without troops so you could fill their party to the limit with elites.

Nikomakkos said:
JosieJ said:

In that case wouldn't your party's First Aid skill heal them? I don't think it would be useful for them, but I don't know.

I don't think so--technically, they're not in your party, are they?  They're AI reinforcements, at that point.  I can't be sure, though.

Nikomakkos said:
JosieJ said:

Are you saying that you can confirm that having this skill reduces the time it takes for NPC lords to siege?

As I said, I don't have any hard data, so I could very well be mistaken. 

Concerning this topic and the fact that they get much smaller party sizes, the former companions made vassals. I have a plan in mind in my current game, in which for the first time I'm grooming some of them to be lords (first time in Native, I've done it once in PoP and man, did that take ages). If I can get a town with many villages, such as Dhirim or Shariz, I might grant these companions those villages as their only fiefs, and have them as something half way between an AI lord and a companion. They would stay close to me and when I need them I can order them to follow me and they would fight with me just as they did when in my party, except this time they bring their own troops adding substantially to my party size. It's just too bad they don't spawn entirely without troops so you could fill their party to the limit with elites.

Can that be done?  I mean, once you give them a fief, aren't they purely vassals, and subject to the same strictures that AI lords are?

JosieJ said:

Can that be done?  I mean, once you give them a fief, aren't they purely vassals, and subject to the same strictures that AI lords are?

Well, yeah. They will be purely vassals, but what I mean is that if I only give them the villages surrounding my city, they will stay close to me and I can order them around, bring them with me whenever I need them for battles and in those battles they will be by my side for me to order them around just like the good old days. Only difference is they will no longer train my own troops, but even better: They will train and bring their own troops.

Does anyone know if there is a way to modify an NPC lord's stats/party on the fly?  (A mod/plug-in that would allow this?)  I think I could test a lot of these pretty simply if I could wait for a 1v1 NPC/faction battle, save the game, give them equivalent armies, and adjust their stats, reload, and run it thirty times and see what results.  I can't really think there's another reasonable way to test most of these that are up in the air as to whether they influence auto-battles or not...

As a side note, I have to really disagree with saying Leadership is useful... or maybe it's useful to give them the 1-3 points their starting charisma will allow; I'd say it's not worth giving heroes charisma until you've maxed intelligence (which means pretty much never; I give them enough STR/DEX to give them decent equipment while in my party and then all INT).  Increasing their max party size by 15 really isn't significant.  They *will* get more way more party size from their reputation just by fighting wars... and of course they don't have a maximum party size like the player does, either, in terms of preventing them from taking rescued prisoners or extra troops the player gives them.

Consideringthe the ratio of villagers that get killed by villagers in any village liberation battle, I don't think your healing skills affect anybody that isn't specifically inside your own party.

Was there ever a confirmation on whether Tactics skill affects autocalc battles, thus becoming important for AI lords when fighting other parties than the player's?

Hmm, I was thinking of playing this game for the first time in many years, and the fact that you replied a year ago to this convinced me to.

I wonder whatever happened to this? (I still haven't done bannerlord, sadly...)

Back
Top Bottom