Nord Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey all,

I was under the impression that there had been some changes to how Nord factions interacted. I'm currently playing as a lord of Northymbre and all of the nord factions recently declared war on us "to curb our growing power". This is kindof immersion breaking given that they should be happy that the Nords are taking over England. Is there a way you could script that out of the AI for Nord factions to declare war on each other for that reason specifically? I'm not against disputes between Nords but that reason for declaring war seems really out of place.

PS: If this relates to a previous post, please let me know and I'll close the thread. Just curious as to the current state of things.

Same here, except the only Nord faction that declared war on Northymbria were Denmark. Still very strange for Nords to fight each other considering almost every other christian faction is at war with Northymbria.

Sandbox?
Initial affinity between the different factions was applied according to historical criteria. However, warband has a system of random wars that could affect this (and that is one factor that makes every game different). As Danes, Swedes and Norwegians were very prone to wars even among them, this should be a problem. In addition, you will see that they do easier peace.

Why is it strange for Nords to fight each other?
Quarrels between the Norse existed just as they did everywhere else.
Territorial claims, lust for money, power etc.
Take a look at history, the sagas,  how Norway and Denmark fought each other later throughout the 10th and 11th centuries and tons of other wars later on into the medieval ages.
The Norse were never a unified entity.

As stated, I don't find it weird that they fight wars over disputes. What I find bizzarre is their tendency to declare war through the random war mechanic to "curb other realms power" specifically when it comes to Northymbre because the purpose of teh great heathen army and by extension, Northymbre was to conquer England by uniting the Nords. A success for Northymbre should be a success for all Nord factions and conquering English land should actually improve relations with Northern brethren rather than start conflict.

And yes, in Sandbox. The wars with Northvegr and Denmark come at a really bad time. We're stretched thin as is, being at war with 12 factions even though we've only taken land from Alt Clut (and my personal venture for the Isle of Mann). I don't get why we're seen as too powerful tbh.

Back
Top Bottom