New Game Bug

Users who are viewing this thread

So in my mod if I start a new game the regular bandit spawns but then afterwards once I've killed him a novice warrior spawns instead of the merchant. After I kill the novice warrior nothing happens, I can't even leave the scene / quit to main menu. Did I accidently delete a line in the scripts to spawn the merchant? Help  :dead:

I've only edited module_factions, scripts, and troops. To create new / edit new factions. The original factions were replaced, and own different towns. For example, faction 2 is a Swadian faction ,not Vaegir, so it owns Praven not a Vaegir town. Could this new ownership confuse the scripts ?

the merchant quest issue is a symptom of your bug, not the cause. If you simple disable it, you will still have a broken game. Your call  :razz:

I did everything in that tutorial though. I still don't understand where I went wrong, or what's causing the issue. Do you mean to say even if I disable the quest there could be more bugs?

This bug is quite common. If you look at the scropt you'll see why:
Code:

(try_begin),
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_1"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_swadian_merchant"),
         (else_try),  
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_2"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_vaegir_merchant"),
         (else_try),                   
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_3"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_khergit_merchant"),
         (else_try),  
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_4"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_nord_merchant"),
         (else_try),  
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_5"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_rhodok_merchant"),
         (else_try),  
           (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_6"),
           (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_sarranid_merchant"),
         (try_end),

If the town doesn't belong to factions 1-6 (i.e. the native ones), the merchant troop isn't assign and it'll spawn something arbitrary. If any of your starting towns have different factions to the ones mentioned above, edit the code accordingly.

Also, the script that sets the behaviour of the merchant and bandit is the same, separated by the condition that the troop ID is between the swadian merchant and the sarranid one. That's what makes the novice warrior kill you.

The tutorial Kalarhan posted isn't complete. There's a ton of stuff you need to do when creating a new faction and a lot of it gets ignored in tutorials, despite it being essential to prevent bugs. Watch this space; I'll write my own tutorisl tomorrow that goes through all the important, yet overlooked stuff.

Thank you, I look forward to your tutorial. Maybe mention something about not enough banners for factions? Idk. I've received another error which led me to believing it has something to do with unassigned banners or something.

Back
Top Bottom