Need help adding roads/paths on world map

Users who are viewing this thread

Max2150

Regular
I recently installed blender and player around editing the world map and such. But what I really wanted to do is add more roads/paths in the game such as those outside Suno. For some reason there are only a few paths in the map that don't really lead anywhere.
I really wanted to add more to connect some of the big cities. I thought it would be simple but I have no idea how it is done. Can anyone help?

Thanks - Max

Creating roads/paths in Warband is a lot of work for very little gain - they are barely visible and do not modify pathfinding 100%.
However, if you want to do it anyway, you need to replicate those already there on the native map. The paths all use steppe terrain, but the faces/polys are compacted into extremely narrow strips with three road vertices almost touching each other at each face/poly join.
Moving the vertices will disturb surrounding terrain and may not be possible in narrow canyons or beside rivers without increasing the number of map polys available to work with (via sub-division). Equally, you will need to normalise the heights of road vertices for a level path (to construct a road you pull surrounding polys from uneven hills together - these need to be flattened). Running a road seamlessly through the ford in a river is impossible without changing the course of the river - often best just to fudge it there rather than damage rivers, which are also tricky features.

If I remember correctly, the native map has very limited numbers of map polys to play with, so you may need to increase the number of map polys in road areas anyway. Just keep total map polys well below 100,000.

Well then.  :grin: Looks like I won't be doing that.

Thank you for the reply though and the information. If I ever do get really bored I could have a go, but from what you've said, there's a lot of work to be done. I just assumed they painted them on or something.

Thanks - Max

Back
Top Bottom