Need a Gmax .obj export script that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Egbert

Master Knight
Egbert said:
Is there any way to export a mesh from gmax with edge smoothing or smoothing groups or soft edges? I tried with the obj exporter but all the edges are hard (each face has different amount of shadow).

I still cannot find how to do this.
I have both export scripts from this tutorial, but neither will export the edge smooth groups.
http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/gmax_exporting-models-obj.htm

What export script do people use to get obj files out of gmax?

1, I guess your mesh were not connect each other. If there were isolate polygons,  It is impossible to make it smooth.
2, Or You did not set smoothing group to your mesh.

All polys are still connected, so its not breaking verts.
When I export an obj from a brf file, then import to gmax it doesn't have any smoothing groups. If I add smoothing groups where I want them, when I export the obj from gmax and import to the brf, all edges will be hard.

If I import to wings3D, smooth edges, and export, the edges will be smooth. When I open both files in notepad, I see that the wings3D and gmax obj files are different.
Wings3D is primitive and confusing to me, so using it to manually smooth each edge is a real pain. So what I need is an export script for gmax that will include the smoothing data in the file.

there shouldn't be any problems if Gmax is like 3D studio max, just export to OBJ and it'll export smoothed

or you could just hit auto smooth (if it has that feature) and smooth the whole thing without setting groups

Edot:1

I just had a look at GMAX, I have no idea about scripts and codeing exporters, just ignore my advice :p

You can use the OBJ file from Gmax and use 3ds Max’s importer. Get the trial version, if you dont have the paid version.

After you use 3ds Max’s OBJ importer, you can then continue modeling or use the exporter to export your model to many different file formats for many 3D modeling programs.

As for smoothing groups, they should transfer over if you checkmark the "add smoothing groups" in 3ds max’s OBJ importer. If not, then group selecting poly’s or face’s and redoing the original Gmax model smoothing groups is easy in 3ds Max.

Check the tutorials at  http://tutorialboneyard.com/GmaxExporter.aspx

Back
Top Bottom