My Opinion of the Majority of the NW Community

Users who are viewing this thread

WARNING: The following message is mostly, if not completely comprised of, whining.

The game itself has rough edges, but to me, it's quite a pleasant game, and honestly one of my favorites. However, what instead I see as a major fault to Napoleonic Wars is the majority of the playerbase.

Allow me to first say that I've been playing NW for a year or two now, and that I've forumed a a tad bit ever since. The forums here are most delightful, and I find the fellow forumers here to be of the utmost intelligence and sophistication. However, I'm afraid that the rest of the playerbase of NW has become rather intolerable to me.

In uncountable instances, I've witnessed the crude acts committed by the majority of players. To me, it seems about rather than focusing on having fun, and socializing with others, they seem to be more centered towards their kill-death ratio, or simply put, "killwhores". I've seen poor musicians be slaughtered mercilessly, cavalrymen knocked from their horses being stabbed with bayonets before they can get the chance to regain their footing and fight on fair ground, and other nefarious, self-centered acts that honestly just spoiled my time on NW. I've heard "omg camping fag", "lol noob u no chamber", and other rude messages so many times during battles, it's become something rather typical of me to expect to see.

That doesn't necessarily mean that all of my encounters have been like this. I've met chivalrous ladies and gentlemen along my journey throughout this game, ones who so share my desire of a gentleman's entertainment- parties, music, socializing, and the greatest of manners on the battlefield, something I believe that the developers of this game intended for the game to be like, and I hope that one day, the majority of this playerbase can proudly display their sophistication.

I do believe that the vast majority of the NW player base ought to be court-martialed and summarily executed by way of firing squad. I have spent some time on the 84e siege server the past couple of days, and there is invariably at least half a dozen teamfights ongoing - most commonly over who gets to use the artillery, but as late as just an hour ago, I had to defend myself from a nutter who tried to kill me in the trenches for no apparent reason.

Aklis said:
I do believe that the vast majority of the NW player base ought to be court-martialed and summarily executed by way of firing squad. I have spent some time on the 84e siege server the past couple of days, and there is invariably at least half a dozen teamfights ongoing - most commonly over who gets to use the artillery, but as late as just an hour ago, I had to defend myself from a nutter who tried to kill me in the trenches for no apparent reason.
Public players =/= Organized players

reredrumuoy said:
People have different ways of having fun. Just because its not what you like doesnt mean its wrong.

Well it is wrong when it's in direct contradiction the game rules and is invalidating your own fun and the fun of others.

TheAwesomeAce said:
I've seen poor musicians be slaughtered mercilessly, cavalrymen knocked from their horses being stabbed with bayonets before they can get the chance to regain their footing and fight on fair ground, and other nefarious, self-centered acts that honestly just spoiled my time on NW.

Honestly, I don't see why this is a problem. The goal of the game is to kill the enemy, not to role play chivalry.

Rigadoon said:
TheAwesomeAce said:
I've seen poor musicians be slaughtered mercilessly, cavalrymen knocked from their horses being stabbed with bayonets before they can get the chance to regain their footing and fight on fair ground, and other nefarious, self-centered acts that honestly just spoiled my time on NW.

Honestly, I don't see why this is a problem. The goal of the game is to kill the enemy, not to role play chivalry.

The point of this game is to reenact events which occured in the Napoleonic Wars. In said war, acts of chivalry and honor were shown by both sides, as officers of each nation were taught to have manners on the battlefield. However, the majority of the players in NW do not come close to a successful reenactment of the original events.

TheAwesomeAce said:
Rigadoon said:
TheAwesomeAce said:

The point of this game is to reenact events which occured in the Napoleonic Wars.

Perhaps to you that's true, but really the the point is simply to have fun. Whether players think having fun in this game requires reenactment is up to them. To call people unsophisticated and crude because they play the game differently than you is rather silly.

How is stabbing a downed cavalry man any any more rude than him charging you from behind. And i would very much imagine a ranker would kill a downed cavalryman in real life and then rob his corpse.

Musicians well they annoy me so i kill them. I won't kill one that marching across the field on his own to see how far he will get just to see myself how far he will get but the ones in enemy positions are fair game as they are buffing their team.

I took a prisoner in a linebattle a few weeks ago, I was marching him back to my company when suddenly as we neared he walked over a discarded musket and had a change of heart. He picked it up and swung it at me. It caused me much grief to have to place a my bayonet in his belly.

I would have happily given him the honour of the firing squad.

TheAwesomeAce said:
The point of this game is to reenact events which occured in the Napoleonic Wars. In said war, acts of chivalry and honor were shown by both sides, as officers of each nation were taught to have manners on the battlefield.

You don't actually believe that, do you? the Napoleonic Wars were as brutal and free of chivalry as every war in history.

A soldiers only job was to kill his enemy as quickly and efficient as possible. They weren't taught to be merciful or honourable. Officers, musicians and non-combatants were shot regularly, as were surrendering soldiers.

The belief that the Napoleonic Wars were fought by honourable gentlemen is as misguided as the belief that medieval Europe or feudal Japan were filled with such people.

TheAwesomeAce said:
Rigadoon said:
TheAwesomeAce said:

The point of this game is to reenact events which occured in the Napoleonic Wars. In said war, acts of chivalry and honor were shown by both sides, as officers of each nation were taught to have manners on the battlefield. However, the majority of the players in NW do not come close to a successful reenactment of the original events.

Yeah, and thats why we have events. I cant believe that you would expect EU1 to recreate a realistic Napoleonic battlefield.

TheAwesomeAce said:

Officers would perhaps extend some form of courtesy towards each other, but the rabble? No way.

berserkergang said:
How is stabbing a downed cavalry man any any more rude than him charging you from behind. And i would very much imagine a ranker would kill a downed cavalryman in real life and then rob his corpse.

Shooting a cavalryman's horse and giving him the cold steel before he can get up is a most exquisite pleasure, as well as a practice that ought to be more widespread.

Docm30 said:
A soldiers only job was to kill his enemy as quickly and efficient as possible. They weren't taught to be merciful or honourable. Officers, musicians and non-combatants were shot regularly, as were surrendering soldiers.

There are records of one Thomas Plunket of the 95th Rifles, who shot Brigadier General Auguste François-Marie de Colbert at 600 metres with a Baker rifle and then, to prove that it wasn't just a fluke, he shot a major that came to aid the fallen general. So, yes. Officers died quite often.

In addition to what Docm said. Most people probably look at the Napoleonic wars with a romantic view, but it was (as stated) truly horrible, and any soldier would kill an officer if he had the chance. Here is a little quote from a story revolving around the battle of Quatre Bras.

"Lance points plunged into chests, shoulders and faces, probing and darting amid the kilted ranks. Scots muskets coughed lead, tumbling many lancers from their saddles, but the Highland losses were heavy. The Black Watch commander, Sir Robert Macara, was killed by a lance through the chin with the point screwing upward into the brain."

Pretty nasty if you ask me.

Soldiering isnt too bad I guess, untill you're forced to form square cause the Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale are incoming, while you're under artillery fire.

"Our army is the scum of the earth - the merest scum of the earth."  "...so it really is wonderful that we should have made them the fine fellows they are."

-Duke of Wellington.

Back
Top Bottom