Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mount&Blade III: Men of Steel, Mount&Blade IV: Ironlord are next.

I don't have a problem with Bannerlord name, I liked it more than Warband. Warband always remind me Guitar Bands. I don't know what the game will be focused at but I think maybe Bannerlord was used to definite ruler of state (Calradia, Almondia and so on) or something. :roll:

It was established a few pages back that "bannerlord" is a "provincial governor" or proconsul (means "Big Cheese" in Latin), but not an autonomous ruler.
Swordmaster said:
Well, I have a feeling it maybe translated from Turkish. In Turkish it can be translated as Sancak Beyi, which was at old times meant Governor-General of big provinces.

See zis for further info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanjak

tansvanio said:
To be honest I dont give a **** about the name. All I care about is new features, new cabalities and that kinda stuff. I want more replayability.
Noone object to it I guess.

The guy we see in teaser looks like a friend of mine who is maps engineer. They can make that guy a companion with he was once maps engineer background story. Speaking of maps, if they are going to keep maps, they can use transparent pictures for cities, villages, trees which directed at players vision angle and the map could be like sketching. I know simpler suggestions was made, sorry.

Some people argued the game's grapics will be that detailed, but I don't think it is possible for now with smooth frame rate speed, not just for M&B or any other game.

Orion said:
The point is that being popular or well-recognized is not the only means of legitimizing a word in the English language.
That's a valid point, but I never said that was the case, so it's also an irrelevant one.

Again, popularity contest.
Which, as you admitted above, is a perfectly valid means of legitimizing a word. Next!

Bannerlord only has two successors, and I offered my interpretation of what a bannerlord could be based on its successors.
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
...which is particularly funny in light of your lecture on the meaning of seldom used words. :lol:

Does that mean Daggerfall wasn't legitimate? What about Morrowind? Does the "legitimacy threshold" begin at Oblivion or Skyrim? According to you, there comes a point where a game's lore is so entrenched in the collective gamer hive-mind that it achieves canonical status. Where's that point, and what authority do you have to decide where it is, or whether it exists at all? Don't be asinine. You can't draw up arbitrary entry barriers to the English language based on your opinion, Ringwraith.
I'm not drawing up arbitrary entry barriers to the English language, I'm simply explaining why "Bannerlord" was a poor choice for a title. "Skyrim" and "Morrowind" and "Daggerfall" aren't real words either, but Bethsoft can get away with using them because gamers are fairly familiar with them (more so with each installment). Yes, they just made up these words, but they gave them meaning that their customers can be expected to know. That's not the case with "bannerlord", that hasn't been established anywhere and not even M&B fans know what the hell it's supposed to mean. It's especially bad if Swordmaster is right and it's actually just a shoddy translation from Turkish.

I have a degree as well, and I'm over half the way to completing my next one. I wasn't aware certain institutions allowed you to opt out of basic English courses.
They do if you don't live in an English-speaking country, like I happen to, but that's besides the point. If being told things like that is important to you, perhaps you should've picked a better school.

Ringwraith. Yo, Ringwraith. Lookie here. Did you notice the thing Orion did when he, for the joy of everyone here, returned to your useless ****ing debate? Look, he spoilered it. That's a nice thing to do, if you insist keeping at it here instead of PMs.

Orion said:
Ruthven said:
Can't say I'm a fan of the name, unfortunately. Bannerlord? Isn't that Ursca?

He will clearly feature as the fully-voiced protagonist. :lol:

Ringwraith #5 said:
You're forgetting that TES is just a tiny bit more established and widely known in the gamer community than M&B. Not to mention the fact that "Skyrim" is a pretty major thing within the Elder Scrolls series, whereas with "bannerlord" you had to add "or something like that" to your interpretation, because even as a M&B fan you couldn't be certain what the hell it's supposed to be.
Once again, the reason why I treat most people here like idiots? That right there's why. Stop throwing poorly thought out arguments that read like they came out of the mind of a six year old at me and I'll stop being a condescending ******* to you.

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Oh ffs...

I didn't realize legitimacy in the English language was determined by a popularity contest, Ringwraith. Your argument now seems to be that the term "Bannerlord" isn't effective from a marketing standpoint because it isn't a term that the target market is familiar with. Quit switching positions. Earlier you were arguing that it wasn't a word at all. Are we past that now?

Of course I added "or something like that," because the title can go many different ways and very little information has been released so far. I don't sit around on the forums and claim things to be absolute fact when there's no evidence to support them, unlike some forumites. It's called speculation, and until TaleWorlds releases more information that's all anyone has, so you can shove whatever counter-argument you have up your ass where it rightly belongs because it's no more valid than mine seeing as it's exactly the same thing: speculation.

Good god, get the **** off the forums and go to school. Nobody wants you here and you prove time and time again that you need to be educated.

Nahkuri said:
Ringwraith. Yo, Ringwraith. Lookie here. Did you notice the thing Orion did when he, for the joy of everyone here, returned to your useless ****ing debate? Look, he spoilered it. That's a nice thing to do, if you insist keeping at it here instead of PMs.
Yeah, I noticed. I don't see what the problem is. The thread's about M&B2, we're perfectly on topic. We're talking about the name because, well, that's the only thing revealed about it so far. If you don't want to read it, nobody's forcing you.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, I noticed. I don't see what the problem is. The thread's about M&B2, we're perfectly on topic. We're talking about the name because, well, that's the only thing revealed about it so far. If you don't want to read it, nobody's forcing you.

Is it about the name? I glanced at bits of it, and it seemed little more than a fancy *****fight with Orion. I'm just saying, that in case you(or him) might actually figure out that you want to post something that anyone else than you two might want to read, no one would miss it. I do it, if I'm stuck in an argument about something that stopped being relevant 5 pages earlier.

Nahkuri said:
Is it about the name? I glanced at bits of it, and it seemed little more than a fancy *****fight with Orion.
So what you're saying there is that you judged it without reading it or knowing what it's about. I don't see why you'd declare that to the world like that. Perhaps you should read the discussion thoroughly and in its entirety.

I'm just saying, that in case you(or him) might actually figure out that you want to post something that anyone else than you two might want to read, no one would miss it. I do it, if I'm stuck in an argument about something that stopped being relevant 5 pages earlier.
Uh, what? I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.

tansvanio said:
Taleworlds is turning us on each other. We must resist this temptation and turn our hunger onto them, until they give us more meat to chew on.
:lol:
It is quite funny how some of our brethren are (verbally) tearing each other apart over a game's subtitle, though. Although for argument's sake, let's see what the press is saying.

Joystiq said:
Ride again in Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
[...] Though the game takes place in a time where boisterous fanfare would have been the norm for major announcements, publisher Paradox Interactive only quietly confirmed the continuation of the medieval hybrid RPG series with a detail-free teaser. You know, small details like release time frame and platforms (though, PC is a given).

In the YouTube description of the teaser, TaleWorlds promises the upcoming action-RPG strategy hybrid "will take players on a journey into a fictional world of up-close and personal medieval combat on a huge scale." The developer doesn't go into details on new features but says additions include those that have been "highly requested."

Oh, and there's going to be a lot more blood. Bring a sponge.

Gamespy said:
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Announced
Hats off to the small development team at TaleWorlds. The Turkish studio has been cranking out quality combat since it launched Mount & Blade: Warband in 2010 and followed up with expansions With Fire & Sword in 2011 and Napoleonic Wars in 2012. And the drums of war won't miss a beat anytime soon. TaleWorlds has announced Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord is now in development.

Other than the teaser trailer above, TaleWorlds has yet to share any details on Bannerlord, but if Napoleonic Wars is any indication (220 unique units and up to 250 players in multiplayer battles), the return to medieval combat will be bigger than ever...

Nahkuri said:

See, this is why I have him on ignore. Problem is, you keep quoting him.  :mad:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Perhaps you should read the discussion thoroughly and in its entirety.

Right. I might as well drink my coffee through a straw that goes to my nose while I'm at it. All I'm saying is that your debate of epic proportions is silly, extremely unlikely to go anywhere in the near future and fills up the goddamn thread, and scrolling is such a pain. My forefinger's totally in agony. I doubt many people aside you & Onion are reading it, so you might as well spoiler it.

AWdeV said:

NNaw. When he isn't complaining about slight annoyances in video games as if they'd ruined his entire life, or getting into 10 page, 500-words per post debates about whether you should put the milk or the cornflakes in the bowl first, he's a decent poster.

Orchid said:
Gamespy said:
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Announced
Hats off to the small development team at TaleWorlds. The Turkish studio has been cranking out quality combat since it launched Mount & Blade: Warband in 2010 and followed up with expansions With Fire & Sword in 2011 and Napoleonic Wars in 2012. And the drums of war won't miss a beat anytime soon. TaleWorlds has announced Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord is now in development.

Other than the teaser trailer above, TaleWorlds has yet to share any details on Bannerlord, but if Napoleonic Wars is any indication (220 unique units and up to 250 players in multiplayer battles), the return to medieval combat will be bigger than ever...

Sure I've seen Warband servers with that amount :<

Nahkuri said:
Ringwraith #5 said:
Perhaps you should read the discussion thoroughly and in its entirety.

Right. I might as well drink my coffee through a straw that goes to my nose while I'm at it. All I'm saying is that your debate of epic proportions is silly, extremely unlikely to go anywhere in the near future and fills up the goddamn thread, and scrolling is such a pain. My forefinger's totally in agony. I doubt many people aside you & Onion are reading it, so you might as well spoiler it.

It's an R, not an N. :sad:

Drinking coffee through your nose sounds like it would be exciting, at least for a few moments. Where's the thrill in your life?

AWdeV said:

NNaw. When he isn't complaining about slight annoyances in video games as if they'd ruined his entire life, or getting into 10 page, 500-words per post debates about whether you should put the milk or the cornflakes in the bowl first, he's a decent poster.

Cornflakes first, otherwise you get splashing out of the bowl.

[me=Orion]provokes Ringwraith with Cornflakes.[/me]

Ringwraith #5 said:
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
...which is particularly funny in light of your lecture on the meaning of seldom used words. :lol:

Predecessors, then. Happy?

I'm not drawing up arbitrary entry barriers to the English language, I'm simply explaining why "Bannerlord" was a poor choice for a title. "Skyrim" and "Morrowind" and "Daggerfall" aren't real words either, but Bethsoft can get away with using them because gamers are fairly familiar with them (more so with each installment). Yes, they just made up these words, but they gave them meaning that their customers can be expected to know. That's not the case with "bannerlord", that hasn't been established anywhere and not even M&B fans know what the hell it's supposed to mean. It's especially bad if Swordmaster is right and it's actually just a shoddy translation from Turkish.

Yes, you are. Or rather, you were until we pointed out that the fact that a word being a debatable anagram of a name of a fictional being does not legitimize it as a word in its own right. That's when you started shifting your argument from "it's not a real word, why would they use it?!" to "it's not a good choice for the title because nobody knows what it means!" Guess what? A vast multitude games have names that have no meaning outside of the context of specific game universes, or even their respective games. Go look at a list of Everquest expansions if you want an example. It's called artistic license. Don't like it? Fine. Want to argue that it's not effective from a marketing standpoint? There are so many games whose sale records thoroughly contradict such a position. Pretty much any successful fantasy game would.

Pathetic backpedaling and shifting of position is all you've managed to do in the last few pages. Oh, and the occasional "this is why I hate the world, but I can't quit you" bit. You could just stop being a ***** about it and leave already. Or shut up, whichever you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom