Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 14 - Destructible Merlons

Users who are viewing this thread

As is traditional, this blog covers our previous major event, goes talks a bit about our experience and what we showed. This time it's E3, possibly the biggest gaming event of the year and the first time we've ever attended with our own booth. Our reveal was Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord's siege gameplay, which came in the form of this trailer and the extended gameplay video below.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/16

DanAngleland said:
Harmi said:
Maybe he is working with media then? There must be a lot of stuff they had to deal with interested magazine reporters. I have seen articles even with my own language.

Well with magazine interviews I usually see Armagan's name come up (if any name is mentioned), but in most video interviews and presentations (such as at the three events last year; PC Gamer Weekender, E3, Gamescom) Captain Lust (assisted by Sten Oom) is the main person. Incidentally, the PC Gamer Weekender is happening again, this time in February 2017; if Taleworlds are ready to show something new by then, Bannerlord will probably be there as it was in March of this year.

I just decided to ask Lust about this using Askfm (you will find he posts links to particular questions on his twitter:https://twitter.com/captainlust?lang=en-gb), and while doing so noticed an answer I found interesting:

Q: Another question: could you maybe give us juicy information on the multiplayer aspect of Bannerlord? Like how many players max., different play modes etc. A Bannerlord fan

A:
Right now, we're looking at probably less modes than warband at release but trying to make sure they all play great.

So, fewer modes than Warband to start with. I expect that conquest and/or capture the flag might have been axed or put on the back burner (perhaps to return in a modified state), since they quickly proved to be very unpopular in Warband. I expect Battle, Siege, DeathMatch (and TDM) and Duel to be in to start with. Given the demand, I wouldn't be surprised if a Commander/captain battle mode like the one in Napoleonic Wars was released at some point after release.

I believe that if the game supports for like 500(?) players in one server, there is no problem to have mixed servers. Like duels and DM in same server. Also I believe that Invasion will be one of those play modes. Invasion mods are proven to be very popular. I believe, it will be possible to play siege against bots and you can improve your online  character in those servers by earning xp. Also there might be those board games lying somewhere in DM servers.

Huh? Two game modes on one server? How would that work? Why not just have two separate servers, with appropriate population limits?

You make a good point about sieges and Invasion. The Bannerlord AI seems good enough that the AI could attack a player team effectively in a siege without players directing them. Or alternatively the AI could defend against the players. Server admins could probably set up siege mode in Warband to consist of bots on one side (not certain though, it might require a player to spawn on the same team), which would be the same thing, but of course Warband AI is not good enough to coordinate properly.

DanAngleland said:
Huh? Two game modes on one server? How would that work? Why not just have two separate servers, with appropriate population limits?

You make a good point about sieges and Invasion. The Bannerlord AI seems good enough that the AI could attack a player team effectively in a siege without players directing them. Or alternatively the AI could defend against the players. Server admins could probably set up siege mode in Warband to consist of bots on one side (not certain though, it might require a player to spawn on the same team), which would be the same thing, but of course Warband AI is not good enough to coordinate properly.

It would work easily. You can build "portals" / doors to other game modes. Actually I'm not sure if this portal will technically spawn you to some other server. But the idea is to create a lobby area where you see other players without any feature to kill them. You can just walk around and talk with them or have some "lobby activities", like in Minecraft game server Mineplex there is that parkour etc. (see video below). In the lobby you can physically walk to what ever game mode you want to and go trough the door. The server now spawns you to the game you wanted to go. This is very common technology in some not official Minecraft servers and I really hope that Taleworlds would adopt this into the game, maybe later, but I really hope, that some day we can do that. Now what we use in Warband, is the ugly almost excel kind of list of servers. They are little old school and bad user experience. I think we could achieve better immersion with this kind of "physical" user interface.

At least I hope some mod developer adopts this, if Taleworlds is not interested. With that feature Mineplex is very popular server in Minecraft with thousands daily users. I believe this actually was the only reason why I played almost daily Mineplex some years ago. The developers of it understood how to create features you could really enjoy in games. The hook is the social features in the lobbies where you can just talk and have fun with people without fear backstabbing and just know people better. Then, when you are ready, you go trough door to game modes like siege etc.

Of course if you want to, you could also find your server from the list, just like you can in Warband, but it should not be the only option. From the Lobby would be great place to find new friends, have chat with them and go playing with them to what ever game mode you want to or create plans for next fight. Here is the explanation video of Mineplex lobby and some of many mini games they have there. https://youtu.be/2iP4THTc0X0?t=41s

I did send this idea to Taleworlds via message form. So they already knows about this.

Lets just hope, they'll let battles commence even if the player(s) is(are) defeated. It really bugs me a lot to have a huge ****ing army and the battle literally stops just because I have fallen. Would be nice to have an option in Bannerlord to let the battle just continue on it's own, or even giving the player the opportunity to control one of his soldiers / heroes.

Malazag said:
Lets just hope, they'll let battles commence even if the player(s) is(are) defeated. It really bugs me a lot to have a huge ****ing army and the battle literally stops just because I have fallen. Would be nice to have an option in Bannerlord to let the battle just continue on it's own, or even giving the player the opportunity to control one of his soldiers / heroes.

We saw this in one of the videos (pc gamer I think).

yeah as long we cant order them around if the battle keep continue after we fall im ok with it, but controlling other soldier/heroes feel unfair and cheating to me, except if they are our heir that we bring along in the battle to make some sense and balancing it with risk of game over if our entire dynasty get annihilated.

hiul said:
yeah as long we cant order them around if the battle keep continue after we fall im ok with it, but controlling other soldier/heroes feel unfair and cheating to me, except if they are our heir that we bring along in the battle to make some sense and balancing it with risk of game over if our entire dynasty get annihilated.
I very much agree.

Also, I really expected to get any kind of information on Christmas. I guess the New year can still save it?

The only game I want to play is Bannerlord. I keep trying to find filler games for the wait but it just seems like Bannerlord is the only game I want to play nowadays. The hardest part is how silent they are about the game, give me something to be excited about again as we are nearing release.

FizCap said:
The only game I want to play is Bannerlord. I keep trying to find filler games for the wait but it just seems like Bannerlord is the only game I want to play nowadays. The hardest part is how silent they are about the game, give me something to be excited about again as we are nearing release.
Bro same...
There is no Game what so ever that i can sit and play without getting Bored. Warband is awesome and all but i have been playing it (mount & blade) since i was around 11 or 12 i'm now 19. I need the New Mount and blade NOWWWW. At least some news!

Back
Top Bottom