Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

SenorZorros said:
wait... they aren't going to post the full 40 minutes? what kind of idiocy is this?

I'm afraid I can't quote directly, as my browsing history from my Reddit viewing was on another computer (And I can't seem to find the link to the post anywhere, perhaps someone has it here), but CaptainLust said (again, not a direct quote, but this is the gist), in response to someone asking ( I believe) if those who didn't go to the event would be able to see it, "The X (PCGamer, Taleworlds) will likely post a highlight reel/highlights of the gameplay after the event".

Kind of sucks.

I hope they get on here and confirm they will in fact post the full 40 minute demo.

Here is a quote from the main Bannerlord thread, where this issue has received a lot more discussion earlier in the day than here (why does general Bannerlord stuff even get posted here, like it is an alternative forum rather than a thread for a specific sub topic, aka blog 12?):

Captain Lust said:
Since this was mentioned a few pages back, I'll post a clarification here for you hardcore Bannerlord thread pilgrims. We'll be making our own announcement, later today anyway which will cover this too.

It's not our event, so we don't have control over the production and media they choose to distribute from it. What we'll probably do is just wait and see what comes out from PC Gamer itself and then release our own stuff in support, going into details and covering everything, similar to how we handled it with Gamescom. We of course understand that nobody wants to miss out, don't worry!

I doubt they will simply post the 40 minutes in full, it is a lot to watch at once and many people probably would prefer to get the highlights or have it split into two or three blogs. But Lust says we will be told everything there is to know, and probably get video clips of all the important stuff, and there is no reason to doubt that- as he says, similar to how they handled Gamescom. In any case, we will probably hear stuff from visitors to the event who post online about what they've seen and heard before the Weekender is even over, just like at Gamescom. PC Gamer will doubtless put short highlight videos online in the week following the event and then TaleWorlds will go into detail and show us more of the less spectacular stuff.

DanAngleland said:
Here is a quote from the main Bannerlord thread, where this issue has received a lot more discussion earlier in the day than here (why does general Bannerlord stuff even get posted here, like it is an alternative forum rather than a thread for a specific sub topic, aka blog 12?):

Captain Lust said:
Since this was mentioned a few pages back, I'll post a clarification here for you hardcore Bannerlord thread pilgrims. We'll be making our own announcement, later today anyway which will cover this too.

It's not our event, so we don't have control over the production and media they choose to distribute from it. What we'll probably do is just wait and see what comes out from PC Gamer itself and then release our own stuff in support, going into details and covering everything, similar to how we handled it with Gamescom. We of course understand that nobody wants to miss out, don't worry!

Thanks for this. Still don't see what's stopping them from posting the same gameplay (It's their game, so whether or not PC Gamer wants to show the footage direct form the event, they shouldn't really have a say in what footage Taleworlds publishes of their own game), though, but I guess all we can do is "wait and see", as usual.

Blech. Glad I only come here once every month or so, it'd drive me crazy otherwise.

DanAngleland said:

Captain Lust said:

I doubt they will simply post the 40 minutes in full, it is a lot to watch at once and many people probably would prefer to get the highlights or have it split into two or three blogs. But Lust says we will be told everything there is to know, and probably get video clips of all the important stuff, and there is no reason to doubt that- as he says, similar to how they handled Gamescom. In any case, we will probably hear stuff from visitors to the event who post online about what they've seen and heard before the Weekender is even over, just like at Gamescom. PC Gamer will doubtless put short highlight videos online in the week following the event and then TaleWorlds will go into detail and show us more of the less spectacular stuff.

Have you read the recent pages of the main bannerlord thread?

This one at least stays tangentially related to the actual game at its worst.

40 Minutes of gameplay is a good sign. The game is definitely not in the alpha anymore.
Maybe TW will say something about a Beta or a Demo. Or at least about a release date.......

Kadoken said:
DanAngleland said:

''Have you read the recent pages of the main bannerlord thread?''

Yes, I have, what is your point?

''This one at least stays tangentially related to the actual game at its worst.''

What does this mean? I haven't even the vaguest idea what this sentence is referring to, not one part of it.

No mention of such things yet, but who knows, we will probably see more of sieges in March. Whatever will be at our disposal, TaleWorlds will of course ensure that the game is balanced and that siege weapons are not overpowered.

DanAngleland said:
Kadoken said:
DanAngleland said:

''Have you read the recent pages of the main bannerlord thread?''

Yes, I have, what is your point?

''This one at least stays tangentially related to the actual game at its worst.''

What does this mean? I haven't even the vaguest idea what this sentence is referring to, not one part of it.

The main Bannerlord thread rarely stays on topic. Last I checked they were talking about Midnight Express.

This thread, at its worst, stays at least somewhat relevant to Bannerlord.

Hope that cleared it up.

"What is your point?"

(why does general Bannerlord stuff even get posted here, like it is an alternative forum rather than a thread for a specific sub topic, aka blog 12?)

I come on here to talk about Bannerlord/find news because it's quieter, and more on-topic. Less of those "Scat posts", too.

DanAngleland said:
Fair enough, those are good reasons- you quoted the wrong post at the top of your post though; that 'what is your point' etc was directed towards Kadoken  :smile:

Right, since he hadn't answered yet, I was trying to clear up what he may have meant in saying that.

Polycount said:
DanAngleland said:
Fair enough, those are good reasons- you quoted the wrong post at the top of your post though; that 'what is your point' etc was directed towards Kadoken  :smile:

Right, since he hadn't answered yet, I was trying to clear up what he may have meant in saying that.

That was my point. Thank you for answering in my stead.

Looking at a few of the Gamescom pics, there are roads, but they're basically still lightly painted textures on the map. I really wish they would add more functionality to them and make them look better.

Ah right, I see what you both mean now, thanks. And apologies for my abrupt tone Kadoken, now I look at it in hindsight it is clear what you meant.

I too was a little disappointed to see a lack of roads on the map, though on the screenshot in this blog there are some faint ones. Functional roads would be good, even better if there were variable quality ones- paved roads between major Imperial cities, some of them deteriorating due to lack of maintenance in cash strapped areas of the Empire or in lands now held by other factions, and trodden routes elsewhere that give lower speed bonuses and lose some of this meagre bonus in heavy rain (due to muddy ground).

I would also like to see more aesthetic touches on the map to make the countryside look more realistic rather than a mostly uniform green baize interrupted by occasional small forests and rivers (though the texture is much more varied than it was in Warband, with stony areas and different shades, and judging by the rather small distances between villages, once all the four fields around each village is in use the map will look less empty). When entering a forest birds should rise from the trees in fright, and deer could gallop out as well. I would like to see herds of wild horses in the steppe regions, and to hear bird song when near a forest and zoomed in close. If a village has a cattle or sheep pasture I would like to hear the relevant animal noises when passing (zoomed in close) over these areas.

speaking of realism, I think it might be interesting to be able to actually attack people when walking around towns. I don't think there should be real benefits and I think that (if witnessed) you should get both attacked by guards and a bounty but it looks quite stupid to loose a full quiver into the guild master and have nothing happen.

also, this could give interesting assasination/intimidation missions.

What about being able to send small parties out of your main one as messengers for other lords? It would be a lot better than running around trying to find a single person for days. If other lords can ask you to be their couriers, I think you should also be able to send messengers as well.

SenorZorros said:
speaking of realism, I think it might be interesting to be able to actually attack people when walking around towns. I don't think there should be real benefits and I think that (if witnessed) you should get both attacked by guards and a bounty but it looks quite stupid to loose a full quiver into the guild master and have nothing happen.

also, this could give interesting assasination/intimidation missions.

This would be neat, but honestly I would be really excited just to have more interaction in Cities, period. Perhaps a player-owned estate within an owned city/village/etc.?

Having the various vendors easy to access, as well as making it so using the city menu to visit different people didn't just force you to start at the entrance of the town when you walk around it again (HUGE pet peeve of mine in Warband - If I just visited the horse merchant last, and then went to "Walk around the town center", just drop me at the horse merchant. Don't make me walk all the way back into the city) would also be nice touches.

I'm not asking for full-on city RP here. But little things like being able to drink in the tavern, sleep/lay down to perhaps regen health to maybe halfway quickly (or it just advances time in a realistic way), being able to sit down...Stuff like this would all be pretty awesome, and they would (I believe) be pretty easy to implement. I just think the cities need a little more love. After all, you spend all that time working to keep them, might as well feel some sense of attachment to them.

Anyone else agree?

P.S. Peenerz, completely agree with you there. There is almost nothing I hated more in Warband than being forced to play courier for MYSELF when I rose to the ranks of lord (Or even King, for chrissake!). Being able to send a messenger and have him respond to "quest completed" things would be absolutely spectacular, and would cut down on a lot of unecessary travel time.

To add onto your idea, here's what I think would make it really refined and cool - You can send couriers even as a low-level freelancer/mercenary/merchant/whatever, but you are more limited in what you can do with them. For instance, obviously you can't send a messenger to go declare war on people or call vassals to you, ask for assistance, etc. To get into it a little more, I'll break it down below.

As a low-ranking merchant/freelancer/etc.:

-Complete most "Return to X, Y, Z," quests just using the messenger. These quests can come from Lords, Kings, Guild Masters, etc. HOWEVER, returning to these people in person gives you either a higher reward or a higher relationship bonus. Not too much, but enough to make you strongly consider whether you actually do want to make the trip. To put this into a realistic perspective, this is essentially showing the person you care enough about them or the mission that you personally wanted to inform them of your failure/success to reap the benefits/consequences. It shows respect and honor.
-Send gifts to improve relation (Likely would have a limit of how often/how many times you can do it)
-Various other minor diplomatic things, like sending messages to ladies you are courting (Perhaps, but not necessary, it has a chance of being intercepted by her father?), requesting supplies be delivered to you by a courier (At a higher price) if you are on campaign as a merc, etc.

As a Lord:
-Can request assistance from other vassals, though they are not obligated to accept. This could be used if your village (or you) is being attacked and you need some help from a long-time friend.
-Can raise the levies of your properties, essentially forcing the peasants to join your war party. Depending on your focus on training them, and their morale (How well you treat them in the village, taxes, etc.), they may be weaker or stronger.
-Elevated diplomatic options compared to a low-ranking player. Official request to court a lord's daughter/sister (no negative repercussions). Can't think of any other lordly things off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

As a King:
-Pretty much absolute power as far as messages go. You need to be more careful that you choose a courier you trust here, as a king's messages getting intercepted would be pretty terrible. You can hire assassins (If this whole heir system allows for murder) or utilize other subterfuge techniques via secret messages. Very dangerous to do so.
-Order vassals/vassal to attack a certain place, or to go to a certain area and camp.
-Demand tribute, levies, and supplies from villages, towns or castles. This negatively impacts their relationship with you (You can also politely request it, perhaps? Maybe not necessary, as there should be some sort of risk/responsibility to accompany this power), and perhaps your honor or renown.
-Same abilities as the other ranks, of course.
-Declare war on factions, as well as request peace (once again, doing this in person has a positive impact on negotiations, once more demonstrating respect and honor instead of potentially being seen as cowardly or dismissive) treaties, defensive pacts, alliances, or trade agreements. Lots of possibilities here!

you know, it might be interesting to be able to send all the messages at all levels at the risk of not being taken seriously. I already can envision a merchant requesting a lord to get rid of a bandit-infested road, a bandit lord demanding tribute from a village, a mercenary  assassinating a lord in order to free a fiefdom the king can assign to him and a lord sending counterfeit messages to start a war between is and another faction (or two other factions with the intent of weakening both).

Polycount said:
This would be neat, but honestly I would be really excited just to have more interaction in Cities, period. Perhaps a player-owned estate within an owned city/village/etc.?
I have always wanted somewhere were I could store unique weapons or extra equipment that I have for companions.  It would be even better of you could customise your house.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
Polycount said:
I have always wanted somewhere were I could store unique weapons or extra equipment that I have for companions.  It would be even better of you could customise your house.

Just realized how ridiculously long that post was - everyone else in the main thread totally ignored it, LOL! My bad. Thanks for reading it, and I'm glad you like the ideas.

House customization would be awesome, even on a minor level. Don't need to have acute control over every piece of furniture, but being able to choose basic locations for things would be kind of cool.

Maybe it'll happen!

Back
Top Bottom