Mongol

Users who are viewing this thread

Wow man, by the looks of it this movie is very promising. :eek: You know the release date?

I'm looking forward to it! so far it looks like Alexander Něvskij meets Kingdom of Heaven meets Hero or something like that :smile:

Aqtai said:
Too much fantasy. It looks like a Mongol version of "300".
I'm always astonished how people expect epic action movies to become history lessons. They just use widely known historical events/personalities/biographies to weave a larger than life story, aimed at entertaining people for 2 hours.
And 300 was based off a comic, which is a fantasy adaptation of a historical event. I didn't like the movie, but I didn't go see it expecting Ancient Greek History 101.
Watch it and enjoy it (or not) as the entertainment flick it is.

Fantasy stuff aside, I just love the gore in that movie. Did you see the spear penetrate that horseman?!  :smile:

Feerspoir said:
Aqtai said:
I'm always astonished how people expect epic action movies to become history lessons. They just use widely known historical events/personalities/biographies to weave a larger than life story, aimed at entertaining people for 2 hours.
And 300 was based off a comic, which is a fantasy adaptation of a historical event. I didn't like the movie, but I didn't go see it expecting Ancient Greek History 101.

Because real history is far more interesting and looks much better than "kewl dual wielding".

Aqtai said:
Because real history is far more interesting and looks much better than "kewl dual wielding".

exactly.

Raz said:
Fantasy stuff aside, I just love the gore in that movie. Did you see the spear penetrate that horseman?!  :smile:

exactly.

Aqtai said:
Feerspoir said:
Aqtai said:
Stop being so naive. For us history buffs maybe, not to Average Joe who pays to watch exactly those kinds of fantasy exagerations, which are, on a side note, exactly what "epic heroes" are all about. You just have to read Homer, Virgil, Camões, Beowulf, the Nibelungenlied, classical Chinese literature to see how those authors and others treated their heroes and gave them supernatural abilities or real life impossible martial skills. It's a characterization feature of sorts, to separate them from the common, ordinary man, from secondary characters, to enhance their heroic aura in the mind of the reader/watcher; to make them instantly recognizable as heroes and sort of justify their impossible feats.
That said, I do agree with you, history is far more interesting than fantasy exagerations, but history is not art and art is not history.

ZOMG! It's "Khergits: the Movie":mrgreen: Looks very promising. Notice how they had Genghis speak Mongolian only to be dubbed in Russian and subtitled in English. And having a Japanese actor play the lead role sounds a bit... off. Still, I'll be seeing this movie if it comes out here in Euroland!  :grin:

Naridill said:
Ebu Deyyus said:
i only hope the original language for this wont be russian, be it mongolic or uyghur turkic they speak

It's a Russian movie, you know.

its like some russian is voice acting over the original sound, and Russian Federation does not only consist of Russia. (and Letters from Iwo Jima was an American film, do i have to remind you)

Feerspoir said:
Stop being so naive. For us history buffs maybe, not to Average Joe who pays to watch exactly those kinds of fantasy exagerations, which are, on a side note, exactly what "epic heroes" are all about.
I've always thought the problem is using the actual historical stuff meant that you couldn't disguise the shoddy acting, pathetic dialogue and crap script with a bunch of CGI splodes.
Then again, I consider calling the mainstream movie industry 'art' an insult to human culture in general.

Many amongst the Mongolian community are very disappointed with the lack of historical accuracy in the movie - which is based on a Russian novel itself. But nonetheless, Sergei has tried his best but in the end you can never really please everyone.

Personally - I'm still going to watch it for entertainment. Besides - as Sanzo84 said it is KHERGIT: The Movie  :lol:

It's bad. I've seen a BBC (at least I think it was BBC's) docummentary and it was thousand times better.

Back
Top Bottom