Minimap

Users who are viewing this thread

I played Brytenwalda for a long time and appreciate all the polishing that went into making Viking.  There are still plenty of tweaks possible as noted in all the other posts.  I have but one constant irritation.  That is when you are riding your horse full speed and select the minimap and it takes you to an overhead view.  Very disorienting. 

that is a feature for VC, a tactical angle for when you are using the minimap / commander view.

What is your suggestion?

My 2 cents: I dont have the same issue, but a personal suggestion for your case: close your eyes, open minimap, open eyes. Takes about 1-2 seconds. Your problem sounds like motion sickness (like people that cant read on a moving car, or ride a bus sitting backward).

Honestly, I freakin' hate the tactical view. Utterly hate it.
This is most probably the only feature I hate in VC.

1. Unspecified time or cause on when the UI will disappear leaving only the mouse. I'm using it for the freakin' mini map then all of a sudden it disappears. A couple seconds of delay for strategic planning and awareness could cause a lot of trouble in the battlefield.

2. Most of the time the mouse wouldn't disappear when you revert back to normal view. The visible mouse would utterly confuse your sense of control of the character.

3. Until now, units would NEVER follow a hold this position command when you click on the minimap.

4. Whilst in 1st person view then switching to tactical view reveals an unavoidable graphical decapitation of your character.

(By unavoidable I mean any time a camera is scripted to float somewhere - e.g. while in a town screen or death view, occasionally you would see your spawned character in the view without a head, because of how the game is coded: the camera is embedded in the character's head model. This graphical monstrosity has existed in many popular mods.)

Suggestion:

All I'm asking is having the option to disable this view. As well as the other advanced camera controls implemented in this game. Most of the buttons assigned already have a default key assigned to them thus doing overlapping commands on the game (forgot which one's though).

Asulador said:
1. Unspecified time or cause on when the UI will disappear leaving only the mouse. I'm using it for the freakin' mini map then all of a sudden it disappears. A couple seconds of delay for strategic planning and awareness could cause a lot of trouble in the battlefield.

Probably the only last really frustrating bug in VC for me. It seems to only stop happening when all the enemies are dead!

Asulador said:

2. Most of the time the mouse wouldn't disappear when you revert back to normal view. The visible mouse would utterly confuse your sense of control of the character.

3. Until now, units would NEVER follow a hold this position command when you click on the minimap.

4. Whilst in 1st person view then switching to tactical view reveals an unavoidable graphical decapitation of your character.

(By unavoidable I mean any time a camera is scripted to float somewhere - e.g. while in a town screen or death view, occasionally you would see your spawned character in the view without a head, because of how the game is coded: the camera is embedded in the character's head model. This graphical monstrosity has existed in many popular mods.)

Suggestion:

All I'm asking is having the option to disable this view. As well as the other advanced camera controls implemented in this game. Most of the buttons assigned already have a default key assigned to them thus doing overlapping commands on the game (forgot which one's though).
I have to agree with that. It also kills my immersion. I always play in first person view.

Asulador said:
Suggestion:

I like the Strategy view, its help a lot when you are elaborating tactics in mountain terrain. But your suggestion is the best thing to do, making this optional. :smile:

kraggrim said:
Asulador said:

Probably the only last really frustrating bug in VC for me. It seems to only stop happening when all the enemies are dead!

Got to agree. I have a  :mrgreen:  :twisted: relationship with that screen. When it works it makes it easy to control troops I battle. But, in large battles when you need it most it gets buggy.

Ivan Khan said:
Got to agree. I have a  :mrgreen:  :twisted: relationship with that screen. When it works it makes it easy to control troops I battle. But, in large battles when you need it most it gets buggy.

If you have cheat enabled: CTRL+F9 (IIRC) will slow down time. Like a pause on strategy games to redeploy troops. That is a option if you are having FPS issues with the minimap.

DerGreif said:
Asulador said:

Suggestion:

I have to agree with that. It also kills my immersion. I always play in first person view.

Completely agree here as well, I play in first person all the time and whenever the game takes the camera into its own hands I feel a serious loss of immersion.

Similarly, I like getting knocked out and laying in the grass, watching the skies as soldiers duke it out around me  :lol:

Having vanilla camera (as per Warband, if you will) option would be awesome! And probably much needed!

Back
Top Bottom