Melee: Battlegrounds Kickstarter (by cRPG devs) - UPDATED THREAD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hopefully the internet mechanic can fix my own internet tommorow, then I can look into backing this. (Unsecured wifi no good for paypal ^^ )
I have full faith in Chadz and Cmp. Don't know about any of the other devs, but if they took 'm in, I am sure they are competent/driven.

Reapy said:
Well backed it!

Looks interesting enough. They have done some good things with cRPG over the years I think and stuck to it, which I think is a good enough demonstration of work ethic such that they will complete and deliver something playable. cRPG might have started out a bit lopsided with big problems, but I think it sort of morphed into something good, though I haven't played it in forever, and that is another +1 for the devs to be able to recognize problems in their gameplay and correct it.

I'm not sure i'm sold on 360 combat, but may be interesting. I am going to guess they will use the same idea kingdom's rise was going for with how close you were to the swing direction will determine the 'level' of the block, the imperfect, perfect, and fail.

It seems interesting on the surface, but I wonder when players manage to perfectly align their blocks (in the video they said players wouldn't, which I don't believe, players they will, we are all nuts)  if the game will give enough tools to fool people. I'd hate it to just be a stamina bar that determines it rather than actual player input failure.

I also remember when a lot of m&b servers switched to 100+ player counts the smooth gameplay I remember disappeared because of server lag. It was playable, but felt a bit sluggish and unresponsive at times. The game worked 'fine' but wasn't 'great'. I hope they are able to test their servers and combat under this kind of load in alpha/beta to ensure the combat feels right.

Anyway, I like the competition here, something for taleworlds to think about for real, and hopefully both can learn from one another so we have more and more great medieval melee games.

I've heard contradicting things over the lifetime of development up to this point, such as 'partial blocks' as you mentioned, but i've also heard more recently about swords being 'real' physical objects with 'real' collisions, if the 2nd one is true then 360 degree combat could be amazing.

Feinting is still in as showcased in the 360 video, so combat should still be 'skillbased' as that's their main goal in development, they've said in their videos that stamina will be under scrutiny and they wont implement it at all unless they can do it well, also that stamina is not there to 'restrict' actions. So at least they're saying all the right things on that subject xD i agree, i'd hate an MMO-style combat system where it's all about managing health and stamina bars, might as well make it tab target at that point IMO if that's where they were going.

I've been bitten by the lag bug in warband and crpg a fair amount, it seems very inconsistent, let's hope for a good number of alpha and beta testers so they make a game that can perform consistently even with full servers.

d1cdd6c95f1e2af9668602b2c121b5a0_large.gif

just for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...

Hi, just read the opening comments to this thread, if we want to help this games development we should probebly get Comrade Temuzu to open a new thread with the updated kickstarter, then we can steer clear of all the negative comments from this thread :grin: We need positive feelings as this is a great example of independent game making I think we as gamers should be proud of and should support whole heartedly. Just my two cents, what you think?

Can't wait to actually play this game!

I played cRPG for 3 years and i had so much fun with my clan.  Looking foward to this sequel!

Lord Katsumoto said:
Hi, just read the opening comments to this thread, if we want to help this games development we should probebly get Comrade Temuzu to open a new thread with the updated kickstarter, then we can steer clear of all the negative comments from this thread :grin: We need positive feelings as this is a great example of independent game making I think we as gamers should be proud of and should support whole heartedly. Just my two cents, what you think?

Llandy and Temuzu have updated the OP, this thread works fine. Keeping this thread active does the job of getting attention to the game more than well enough.

New threads about this game/kickstarter will just be locked because it's discouraged to spam threads about the same subject here (i.e. there is already an Elite: Dangerous thread, so we don't need another). Again, it's not that you can't be excited or talk about the game, but if everyone were to constantly create new threads to discuss things that already have threads, we'd be running out of space in a hurry.

Lord Katsumoto said:

There was a new thread but it was merged to the old out of date one. But fortunately the OP was updated. Still, it feels like the threads are different now and it's a shame so many of the early comments were before any of the actual extremely early placeholder mechanics could be shown. But i appreciate why they keep one thread per thing

The dev's will need to alert the greater internetz of their intent. I think the wb community is mostly already on it... I think. They sent out some emails to crpg enabled accounts, which I'm sure most regular players has made one there at one point or another.

Not sure how to get the greater internet's attention though. For some reason some games just have it while other's don't. I posted this on the rockpapershotgun forum's kickstarter thread but not sure much traffic goes through there. Maybe they should let in some youtuber's to an alpha duel arena to get some more eyes on it or something.

I think they're working on that, Reapy. Anyway, they just posted a new update about the Stronghold mode, looks pretty nice. Shows they have a fair bit of work done on the building system already.

Also some new screens, though a lot of them seem to be scenes from the KS video. https://imgur.com/gallery/xqNgU

It was all fun and games in the kickstarter video until the spinning came in.

Uh I'll pledge asap but unless this game gets some heavy advertising I would be hard stretched to see it get above 100k as I'm skeptical about how big the cRPG community's wallets are. But I guess we'll have to wait and see

I like this project because of combat that looks good and they said they will improve it futher.
Doesn't really care about progression, exp, grind, gold etc. Combat is always main part.
Maybe some videos look like Warband now, but lets wait for alpha gameplay. Strike in the jump was really bs, I hope they will revamp it.
Thinking about donation.

The thing to remember if you're on the fence is that fully realized alpha gameplay may never happen if you and others who are still a little unsure about it don't back the project. The team might (and probably will) still struggle to the finish even if they fall short of their KS goal, but they'll have a much harder time of it.

ColonicAcid said:
Uh I'll pledge asap but unless this game gets some heavy advertising I would be hard stretched to see it get above 100k as I'm skeptical about how big the cRPG community's wallets are. But I guess we'll have to wait and see

Yeah, they're definitely going to need some media visibility in order to pull through on this goal. A big part of getting that will probably be early momentum on the fundraising and a grassroots buzz on the web, both of which can only be achieved with help from interested supporters. Would be nice to have some more TW folks rally around this project as well, after all chadz is an old school M&B fan and a lot of the cRPG community originally came from here. This game is a big possibility, not a threat.

Even Yazzy was nice enough to back and leave an encouraging comment, real gentleman there.

Yeah, I really don't understand this narrow minded phobia of the game. If it looked bad, I'd laugh at it ~ but it doesn't.

I can only see competition as a driving factor in TaleWorlds stepping up their game and doing an even better job. The community isn't likely to go anywhere, and most certainly won't unless something is seriously wrong with Bannerlord(in which case they absolutely should.)

Bannerlord is more singleplayer focused while Battlegrounds is multiplayer focused, unless Battlegrounds reach 300k (Which, right now, looks very doubtful) Taleworlds can start getting worried about some real competition.

Back
Top Bottom