SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Marriage.Wedding.Allotment inheritance

Users who are viewing this thread

Arenik

Recruit
Marriage
Nobles in Calradia tend to marry for political reasons - to create or strengthen an alliance between households. Parents are engaged in the selection of a bride for their son, and also negotiate with the girl's parents; however, the bride and groom may not see or know each other before the wedding. However, an adult bachelor can directly ask for the hand of a lady from her father. The marriage is preceded by an engagement, which they try to conclude as early as possible. You can add cases where marriages were made for love to the game. Add to the game occasions when a noble bride and groom may have escaped from their families. You can also add the ability to marry your children and love your relatives, if you agree. Also add the ability to marry close relatives within the clan in order to keep allotments for the family. You can also add bastards to the game. They can have their own last names, but if the player can't come up with their own last name to legitimize their bastards, their last name depends on the region where the father was born. Bastards have less rights than legitimate children, but they can inherit if there are no male (and female, depending on the faction's culture) heirs in the house.
I believe Bannerlord's courtship process is completely wrong. The courtship process in Warband was much logical and interesting, so it's worth transferring it to Bannerlord with improvements.
Wedding
The wedding must be attended by the fathers of the bride and groom, participating in a symbolic exchange of cloaks - if this is not possible for one of the marriages, a planted father is appointed. The game lacks marriage traditions. I will give an example of these traditions. The bride and groom are dressed in luxurious and expensive robes for the wedding ceremony; an important element is wedding capes. During the wedding ceremony, the capes act as wedding rings - the groom dresses the bride in his cloak and puts on her cloak himself. Thus, when each of the newlyweds wears the coat of arms of the other's house, the connection between the houses is confirmed. Whenever possible, such capes are sewn from expensive material, sewn with valuable fur and embroidered with gold and silver. The groom can continue to wear the wedding cloak - often hot and uncomfortable - even days after the wedding. thereby demonstrating that the marriage took place. The wedding cloak should be colored according to the coat of arms of the house to which the spouse belongs, and the clasp around the neck usually depicts the coat of arms. The wedding ceremony depends on the religion of the particular culture. The marriage must be confirmed in bed in the presence of witnesses, otherwise the marriage is invalid.
Inheritance allotment
1.Succession to the throne.
Let Calradia be the main primogenitura. In Battania and Vlandia, the Cuzaites have a salic system: women are completely excluded from the right of inheritance. In the Empire, a semi-salic inheritance system : women are allowed to inherit only upon the complete termination of all male descendants of a given dynasty. The Aseraevs and in Sturgia have a ladder system of inheritance , which involves the transfer of inheritance rights first horizontally - between brothers, from the elders to the younger ones until the end of a generation, and only then vertically - between generations, again to the oldest of the younger generation's brothers (Inherited in this order: older brother; younger brothers in order; sons of the older brother (by seniority); sons of the next brothers (by seniority); grandchildren, great-grandchildren in the same order, and so on).The bastards inherit the throne in the absence of legitimate descendants.
2.Estate inheritance.
The inheritance of estates in Calradia is based on the principle of primacy. Real estate (houses and land) was inherited only by the firstborn. Other children inherited only money and movable property.
3.Title inheritance.
In Vlandia, Battania, the title holder is not just any member of the clan, but only its head. In these factions, the title is not inherited through the female line.Titles are also inherited by the eldest son (bastards, even legalized ones, cannot inherit the title).
The sons of feudal lords with a title not lower than the count, the title of courtesy (a personal title used as the main way of naming the heirs of titled nobles), the eldest sons and eldest grandchildren repeat one of the younger "subordinate titles", for example, the son of the duke is called the marquis. As a title of courtesy to other family members, the title of lord is used before the first and last name.
The choice of a particular title of courtesy from several minor titles is dictated by family tradition. It can change when a family receives new higher titles or the elimination of senior lines, which were assigned certain secondary titles (the junior line, after suppressing the senior, inherits only a set of titles that had a common ancestor). As a secondary name, a title is chosen, the name of which does not coincide with the most senior title; if the names of the minor titles are the same, the construction of the form "lord + surname" can be used as a courtesy title. If the genus does not have a secondary title, fictitious designations or the construction "lord + surname" are used.
For example, the Duke of Norfolk holds the minor titles Earl of Arundel and Baron of Multravers. Moreover, he is called by the main title - "Duke of Norfolk". The eldest son of the Duke of Norfolk during his father's lifetime is titled "Earl of Arundel, and his eldest son, the eldest grandson of the Duke, may be called" Lord Multravers. "
For the rest of the factions, the title holder is any member of the clan (that is, for example,even the brothers and sisters of the count will be called counts and countesses, respectively), but only in the Empire and Sturgia the title is transferred through the female line (a woman could become something like a "title keeper" in order to transfer the title to her eldest son after herself).

Last edited:
It must be possible for a single-person clan to marry. Remember the player don't have to rescue his siblings to marry.
Besides, I like the idea with the cloak exchange but this is a real-world tradition that should maybe not be imposed as the main-caladrian thing. As well is the "Confirmed in bed"- thing.

But wedding traditions could be cool! But let them be inspired by "dead/pagan" IRL religions rather than today Abrahamic religions, if inspiration is needed from IRL.

Inheritance allotment
No succession-laws for clans, thanks!

I like heir selection better. don't force the player to play with a certain charachter. This is NOT Crusader Kings.
I just had my main charachter die at age 50. His elder brother died a few years ago. His younger brother and their both wives were the only selectables. His eldest son were 14, so I could not select him. Now I´m stuck with this 22 year old who I do not wish to play.
I want to expand it even more!
  • Allow player to select children upon death of main charachter. It brings up a second dialogue to select a regent. You play as the regent until the child turns 18.
  • Allow the player to at any time abdicate and continue as someone else. If a child is selected, remain playing the current charachter until the child turns 18. Then the abdicaded character is a clanmember and "Co-leader" for the sake of immersion.

AI should probably select the oldest or most skilled familly member.

For kingdoms, they could have policies stating how next ruler-clan is selected, if via vote, or if power stays with the ruler clan or something else.
How should it "work"? :smile:

Players don't need to have a rigid inheritance system, but NPCs can
I think it will be hard. I mean, Battanians have their way handling the clan and Kuzhait have their ways. THey won't care of which kingdom they happen to belong to, they will perserve their traditions.

If anything, there should be "clan-policies" for AI so the player can predict who is the next clanleader.

Kingdoms should only have laws/policies of how to select next ruling clan, not of how to appoint clan-leaders.

Is it difficult to introduce bastards into the game?
Depends..

But you did not answer my question. :smile:

There are currently no
  • personality traits that indicates whether or not a charachter could be attracted into seduction and adultry.
  • personal relation between charachters, but relation is between clans
  • "Claim on throne/holdings" or "Birthright" system to lean it on
To make a female charachter pregnant and tag the child as a bastard is probably the simple part. To get there with a good implementation and from there with a good, interactive and flavourful experience is probably alot harder!

There are currently no
  • personality traits that indicates whether or not a charachter could be attracted into seduction and adultry.
  • personal relation between charachters, but relation is between clans
  • "Claim on throne/holdings" or "Birthright" system to lean it on
You have already invented some of the mechanics

I think it will be hard. I mean, Battanians have their way handling the clan and Kuzhait have their ways. THey won't care of which kingdom they happen to belong to, they will perserve their traditions.

If anything, there should be "clan-policies" for AI so the player can predict who is the next clanleader.

Kingdoms should only have laws/policies of how to select next ruling clan, not of how to appoint clan-leaders.
I believe that factions should have systems of succession to the throne and feuds that depend on the culture of the faction, but the player must choose the heir himself

I believe that factions should have systems of succession to the throne and feuds that depend on the culture of the faction, but the player must choose the heir himself
All "empire" clans operating exactly the same, you mean?
And change to "battanian" traditions when defection to Battania?

I disagre, I want more variation in the game.

What about the principle of realism?
What realism is it in an Empire clan defecting to Battania suddenly adops all their traditons, making theim "Empire cultured" only in name? Why should they adopt foreign traditions and assimilate rather than maintaining their origin and history?

And there are 3 empire factions. "Empire culture" is quite diviated - all their clans should not operate the same.

What realism is it in an Empire clan defecting to Battania suddenly adops all their traditons, making theim "Empire cultured" only in name? Why should they adopt foreign traditions and assimilate rather than maintaining their origin and history?

And there are 3 empire factions. "Empire culture" is quite diviated.
The state will not adapt to each clan, as it is not far from the collapse of the state. And history and traditions can be preserved if it does not contradict the laws.

Back
Top Bottom