M&B 50% off all week at Paradox!

Users who are viewing this thread

I see, hmm not quite sure if I will or not then tbh. Fact remains that charging $30 for a 8? year old single player game is a bit excessive. The game itself isn't worth that at all, the community of modders that've put effort into the game is what kept it alive as well as the players who've stuck with it. They finished the game because of that and even decided to add a multiplayer expansion to it. You'd think they'd be somewhat grateful for our loyalty to the game and give us a break but to charge us for a game we kept alive when they wanted to stop development on it is just a bit unethical imo. *shrugs* that's business though.

Edit : Also don't take me as being a cheapskate of sorts. I'm all for supporting the game and all by buying it but it'd also be nice if they showed some kinda thanks to the players as well. The game has alot of potential with it being the only one of it's kinda really, but if the people making it are just in it to make a quick buck then idk.

Kinsume said:
I see, hmm not quite sure if I will or not then tbh. Fact remains that charging $30 for a 8? year old single player game is a bit excessive. The game itself isn't worth that at all,

The game is, actually, less than a year old but has been in beta for ~4 years.

Considering most PC games cost around £30-40 ($40-55), I think it's a pretty good deal.

No one is forcing you to like the game but folks around here are, generally, pretty fond of it and I expect, they'll agree with me.

Kinsume said:
the community of modders that've put effort into the game is what kept it alive as well as the players who've stuck with it. They finished the game because of that and even decided to add a multiplayer expansion to it.

Who, do you think, encouraged the modding community, by making the game so accessible to modders?

Kinsume said:
You'd think they'd be somewhat grateful for our loyalty to the game and give us a break but to charge us for a game we kept alive when they wanted to stop development on it is just a bit unethical imo. *shrugs* that's business though

You have some seriously backwards logic.

They have made a game. You are expected to pay for that game. You pay because it has taken them time and effort to make. The same principle applies to any game (Forget EA, for now).

Now, they are making an expansion. They have put, are putting and will put alot of time and effort into making this expansion. This is why you will be expected to pay.

What's so unethical about that?

The game wasn't made to be easily modable. It just so happened to be because of the fact they decided to run all of the game's commands via the notepad program. So in order to mod all you really needed to do was have a knowledge of scripting and running the scripts with python.

And you may be right 4 years in beta could be the length in time I don't full recall. I thought they started development back in 2001, if not my bad. However it took them 4 years to even get it out of beta because they had pretty much given up on the game. Over those 4 years people didn't stay because of the effort they put into it, they stayed because of the effort the community put in. The developers had pretty much given up on everything and at one point planned on just flat out stopping the development of the game. Instead seeing the community was still into it they made the final push to complete the last few versions of it and slapped a $30 price tag on it to sell it. Makes sense for them to get some money for the time invested in it sure, however if it wasn't for people's interest being maintained by other players/modders of the game there would have never even been a completed version of the game to sell. Fact is they're making people pay $30 for a game that noone actually plays the version of it they designed on. The mods are what make this game what it is, yet the modders really don't get anything other than a pat on the back. That's what I see as unethical, they're doing random beta invites. Hell invite the people who've been modding for you guys and keeping the game alive. Why make it random?

As for paying for the expansion, like I said $30 for the original game was overpriced imo. You mentioned other games being $40-50 yeah naturally when they actually use game engines that can be expanded on, have decent-good graphics, as well as other things the price tag goes up. Not knocking on M&B at all, I love the game, been playing for a very long time now but all it really has going for it is the gameplay. It's what has brought me back to it over and over after all these years. The expansion is pretty much just taking a server with predesigned maps and allowing multiple people to connect to them and play together. With the kind of gameplay this game has that's going to be fun as hell I'll be the first to say. But to charge people another $20-30 to do that is just flat out lame.

In any event obviously we have different opinions on the matter. Like I said if I get into the beta test and give it a go and like it of course I'll support the game and buy the expansion as well. But if I don't feel it's worth chalking another $20-30 bucks up to then obviously I won't.

captain lust said:
I can't communicate with you. I'm tired and you're ridiculous.

'Do not blame thee sinners for their twisted minds and logic, for thy lord has given it to thee, and to question thy lord is blasphemy!'

I personally don't get Kinsumes point or reasoning either.
But I don't have to. Nobody is going to get hurt because of that.

There are no points, just opinions that apparently he doesn't share. Which is fine and all we all have our own opinions on things.

Kinsume said:
There are no points, just opinions that apparently he doesn't share. Which is fine and all we all have our own opinions on things.

Yes but you've decided your state your outlandish opinions as if they are facts.

Example:

Kinsume said:
The game wasn't made to be easily modable. It just so happened to be because of the fact they decided to run all of the game's commands via the notepad program. So in order to mod all you really needed to do was have a knowledge of scripting and running the scripts with python.

This shows that you, clearly, know absolutely nothing about modding. You can't just waltz in, with knowledge of scripting and make a mod like that (*clicks fingers*).

Taleworlds release their module system for every major version. Mount&Blade doesn't have one of the most active modding communities by shear coincidence.

Taleworlds is a small company (i.e. they don't have alot of money). They didn't have enough money, to fund production of their game. They took the decision to make the beta public and release all of the major pre-release versions at an increasing price. They, also, encouraged the modding community, to create extra interest for the game.

The combination of these two things meant that they had the finance and support to complete the game.

Modders do what they want, as a hobby. Some modders mod for a CV they might use for a job in development. The point is: No modders are paid. They all did their work voluntarily.

What do you mean by: "Game engines that can be expanded upon"?

If you have any concerns about graphics, take a look at some of the screenshots for Warband.

mount-blade-warband-20090602103849032_640w.jpg

That one's on the house. Personally, I think the boots and head could do with an update but the horse, torso and crossbow (all updated for Warband) look pretty hot, to me.

I based that example actually off the fact that I sat down for a week at one point and was fully capable to editing an entire new troop tree, building scenes and rigging characters. Now that all only took a week to learn, I'm sure modding itself would take a bit more time but the fact is it's very simple to learn to do. I suppose that's just the way I type though, so sue me *shrug*

Reverend L. Lambina said:
Kinsume said:
Wow... You really are full of **** aren't you?

Rofl, wow you're really looking for the attention aren't you?

Kinsume said:

And you may be right 4 years in beta could be the length in time I don't full recall. I thought they started development back in 2001, if not my bad. However it took them 4 years to even get it out of beta because they had pretty much given up on the game. Over those 4 years people didn't stay because of the effort they put into it, they stayed because of the effort the community put in. The developers had pretty much given up on everything and at one point planned on just flat out stopping the development of the game. Instead seeing the community was still into it they made the final push to complete the last few versions of it and slapped a $30 price tag on it to sell it. Makes sense for them to get some money for the time invested in it sure, however if it wasn't for people's interest being maintained by other players/modders of the game there would have never even been a completed version of the game to sell. Fact is they're making people pay $30 for a game that no one actually plays the version of it they designed on. The mods are what make this game what it is, yet the modders really don't get anything other than a pat on the back. That's what I see as unethical, they're doing random beta invites. Hell invite the people who've been modding for you guys and keeping the game alive. Why make it random?

I don't want to offend you Kinsume, but I really disagree with pretty much all you said there. You sound rather bitter about Taleworlds, judging by the things you said- that M&B was 8 years old, when you clearly know it was never considered the final version until last September, saying they gave up on the game (?), and that the modding community kept it alive. You make it sound as if Taleworlds just put in the minimum of effort and came up with this great little game by accident, and only the players who modded it kept it going! If the game wasn't accessible for modders, it wouldn't have had such a strong modding community, simple as that. I won't go any deeper into the issue, apart from to say that I for one play native much more than any mod at the moment. For the latest version there simply isn't a mod that I enjoy enough to sway me from native for long, apart from maybe 1257 and Hundred Years War. There are many 'big' mods being prepared for 1.011, but the plethora of mods that've come out for 1.011 (and are evidently popular) just don't generally appeal to me very much. I'm not knocking them, many certainly have a lot of good features and often show a great deal of effort, but I don't think there is a mod out there that usurps native for me as a complete experience.

I don't know why you feel so critical of Taleworlds, perhaps you forget that they are only a small team. Could it be that you have mistaken the long beta time as lack of interest on their part when it has probably been the natural timespan for a young inexperienced games company (Isn't this their first commercial game, or first international game or something?)?

Back
Top Bottom