v1.2.7
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Revenge

Recruit
Summary:
How to Reproduce: gather an army with your companions as their own party leader and fill them up with troops. After the siege you will notice you actually lost well over 120 troops around 4 for each party after the siege is completed. Even though as a whole you only lost 10 in the battle this makes it very difficult to continue with another siege.
Have you used cheats and if so which:
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU:
GPU Driver Version:
CPU:
RAM:
Motherboard:
Storage Device (HDD/SSD):

Massive bug where I am losing mass amounts of troops after a successful siege. This is frustrating and hurts the quality of gameplay. Than I have to go all the way back to a castle I own and gather more troops from my garrison. This is an awful bug/feature. If I don't win the fief I lose those troops. Please fix it. I did love this game but after having issues with trying to get married and figuring that out to now losing troops to a garrison that I won't be able to pull the troops out unless I win the fief.. this is game breaking to me and as a result of this my feelings towards this game has been destroyed and I give this game a 2/5 Stars as befor finding this issue of losing troops was a 4.5/5 Stars.

Last edited:
I am trying to take over the kingdom, not going around donating all my troops. I need my troops to take over the kingdom. Stop allowing my companion party leader lose their troops.

Does this happen only when you win the siege? To clarify, those troops lost are not lost in battle but afterward on donation to the castle/town garrison?
They are donated to the castle/city and I "lost" them because I can't get them back and I don't want them donated because I am working hard to build my clan. I don't want them donated. This is game breaking to the point once I found this is happening I don't want to play anymore. There is no setting or option that allows me to check a box that says "Do not donate troops" option or I would select this.

They garrison troops in the newly conquered settlement or when visiting a fief with low garrison, sometimes I've seen it can be 10 troops per party of an army even if I already put in 20-30 basic troops myself following the siege. I wouldn't suggest removing this mechanic as it will just go back to near empty garrisons and armies targeting it from the other side of the map.

They garrison troops in the newly conquered settlement or when visiting a fief with low garrison, sometimes I've seen it can be 10 troops per party of an army even if I already put in 20-30 basic troops myself following the siege. I wouldn't suggest removing this mechanic as it will just go back to near empty garrisons and armies targeting it from the other side of the map.
I feel this should be an option in the options menu. Maybe put it in the campaign options. It's a lot of work getting my parties troops the way I want them for my party members to just donate them. It makes me feel like I loose the ability to choose and after all I am the leader right? Maybe a screen pops up and asks you if you want to donate after a siege or visiting a city and if not maybe give a warning about what would happen if you don't donate and let the player decide. I prefer it to be in the campaign options as I don't want any more additional pop ups to occur that I know how I will answer it. I am pretty sure I read a post about the AI lords parties don't donate their troops to player owned fiefs. So the mechanic is obviously just down right broken. I really lost the want to play this game after finding out I cant form my parties how I want and cant command them to do what I want them to do and than realize the PC gets all these perks so I quit the game because of these issues. I truly feel the console has the watered down version.

Last edited:
An "adhoc" solution if the fied ends up in your hands though after - you can take troops out of the garrison and then donate to your companions - just dont enter the town etc.
They wont donate troops if you have set the limit of the garrison cost to what it is though.
So if the garrison is 500 cost, and the wage cap is 525 they may donate 10 in total if you re-enter the fief.

I agree though that this is another one of the settings they should have added like they did with "companion party behaviour" (set it to agressive/defensive etc(so they wont raid villages).

Sadly for you you are on Xbox, cause on pc this issue is "fixed" by mods already.
Hopefully down the line they add in an option to stop the companion donations.

For now this isnt a bug, but a suggestion, as it is working as designed afaik.

I suppose it should probably be an option for your own family/companions, but... You say you are trying to take over the kingdom, but if there's nothing in the garrison a single party of 50 troops can take it over. You are just making it easier for the kingdom you are trying to take over to take it back. Plus you are inducing other kingdoms, some not even next to you (which is stupid) to declare war on you. I got real annoyed when other lords in my kingdom refused to donate to settlements owned by me, even when I was the ruler and they had just taken over the castle/town. I'm glad they fixed that.

I think there are a few mischaracterizations here - "losing" troops, "game-breaking", and "bug". That said, this game behavior - parties MASSIVELY over-donating troops to garrison on taking a settlement - is extremely annoying, very much un-fun, and probably not intended.

To recreate: You're in the endgame, running around with a big army: a party of ~450, 4x clan parties of ~200+, and several other parties to bring the total to (say) 2000. Lay seige to a settlement (town or castle) and assault when ready; the odds should be 5:1 or more, leading to an easy victory with <50 (friendlies) dead. Take the settlement for yourself (at least temporarily), and note the garrison is now 400+ and your army is down to 1500. You didn't lose any troops - the occupying parties (not mine, but my clan parties too) donated them to the garrison... but that's probably WAY more than the garrison needs.

Next step: spend 10-15 minutes looking for special captured gear (yay!); ransoming captives (yay); selling extra equipment (nice, don't bankrupt town); checking dungeon (anyone to recruit?); and... manually taking all the troops from the garrison and giving them back to your parties (Aserai and mercs for A, Battanians and archers for B, Vlandians and crossbows for C, ...), donating them back to your suddenly anemic allies, and setting the garrison to a reasonable level ("reasonable" depending on who you think will end up owning the settlement).

This is not fun. It's very recoverable - but a time-sink (5 minutes strategic maneuver and attack, 15 minutes rearranging forces). It doesn't seem to be a bug - invading forces donate to garrison, sure - but not WAY more than the garrison can even support.

Again - this is not fun. I really like this game - please fix this.

Quite frankly, I find reassigning prisoners to my companions parties & mine, & getting rid of excess to be the most time consuming, Particularly when I don't have a fief near the battle lines to dump lords in. Selling goods doesn't take long. If you are talking end-game, I assume you are the ruler. So the garrison isn't a problem, it makes it easier to justify taking troops I want for my party.to strengthen my party as well as my companions. Also, I generally have an army of about 1k-1200. I'm lucky f they donate 150-200 to the garrison total. I don't recall ever seeing 400+ donated to a new town/castle. Occasionally when necessary I might have an army of 1500, but if my army is too big it prevents the other lords from doing anything, even if all they do is be a nuisance to the remaining enemy. Not sure why you need an army of 2k+..

Update per the topic, Original Poster (OP), and hopefully-live-person-who-can-actually-affect-Taleworlds @MArdA: this only happens when I win a siege, as a donation to the garrison - and at those odds (5-10-20+:1, sending or leading troops) of course I win. I quite enjoy leading with my noble longbow and taking out 20-50-80+ enemy (personally) and suffering only about 20-40 army dead to the the enemy's 250-300 and total rout.

SGT @Doofus: I understand and appreciate your prisoner comment; you do you! However, games are not about "need". This is a fantasy game, and I like rolling over past bullies with massive armies so that my forces suffer very light casualties (as does the enemy, for that matter - much like real life). Taking a town with 900 defenders in the late game with an army of 2000+ is still challenging (if inevitable) - but fun. If I'm trying to blitz a kingdom of 6+ Towns and ~15 Castles, then I need to start with a big army, keep the odds high (20:1 means I only lose 5-40 dead each assault), and replenish my forces over time. They may only be lowly Imperial Recruits, Sisterhood Followers, or Battanian Heros - but I like keeping all my people alive and mourn each loss.

(Taking troops from the garrison isn't A problem - it's THE easy problem. My army had such great success, they all gave - say - 50% of their troops, which leaves the new garrison overpowered and overpopulated, and leaves them suddenly WAY underpowered.)

Back
Top Bottom